Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default getting away with dot & dab ?

On our new "Old" house the pre-victorian bathroom-extension type thing
is having a much needed new toilet/sink etc.

Anyway. the construction of this area is a single-skin red brick with a
red-mud type mortar. The original plaster literally dropped off all
round so we need to replace the covering.

Space is very limited, so not enough space to batton/membrane/p.board

Should we be looking at just re-skimming the brick-work with
conventional materials or could we get away with foil-backed p.board
dot&dabbed to the block work?

there is no sign of any damp penetration as it stands.

The building _is_ grade II listed, but this is an emergency reovation as
original (60's) bath,sink,toilet were all cracked.
Plaster that fell off was not lime & hair like the rest of the property,
just pink & powdery.

Any thoughts welcome

Pete.
http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
[...]

D&D isn't suitable for a single brick wall, neither is plaster really as it
becomes soft and powdery as you have discovered...render is possbily the
worst thing you could do and tiling is also a no-no, so you don't have many
options left...the batten idea was your only real option but you say space
is limited, although you would only lose about an inch and half more than
you would with D&D,(tannalised 'roof' battens instead of 3X2) is space
really that tight?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
[...]

and the battens infilled with Celotex so the space used usefully.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

D&D isn't suitable for a single brick wall, neither is plaster really as it
becomes soft and powdery as you have discovered...render is possbily the
worst thing you could do and tiling is also a no-no, so you don't have many
options left...the batten idea was your only real option but you say space
is limited, although you would only lose about an inch and half more than
you would with D&D,(tannalised 'roof' battens instead of 3X2) is space
really that tight?

Thanks Phil.
Then that's really my only option then.

At least it won't interfere with the older construction materials.
There are a few patches of cement render which I'm not going to attempt
to remove.

Here's a pic. of the bathroom as it was
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/pete/brixham-bathroom.jpg

The green on the window wall and the wall on the left are what's now
removed. Bottom left by the sink is the House wall 18" stone/rubble so a
big pillar whick makes one side of the doorway. the bath is level with
the R/H side of doorway.

It's also not noticeable but the L/H wall runs in towards the door end
so front of pan is much closer to the wall than the cistern end.

I'll re-asses this w/end to see what we can get away with.

Cheers
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:37:46 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
wrote:

Phil L wrote:

D&D isn't suitable for a single brick wall,

Why?

[...]

You could attach insulted plasterboard to prevent condensation / keep
the room warmer on that single brick wall. You could use dot and dab,
I can see no reason not to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Phil L wrote:

D&D isn't suitable for a single brick wall,

Why?

Because it will get damp

[...]

Adhesive will absorb water through the brick and into the PB, try it on a
4in wall if you don't believe me - it never really dries out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Phil L wrote:

[...]

If he has a penetrating damp problem maybe, otherwise he'll be
alright. His biggest risk of damp is from condensation in a bathroom
with a half brick thick wall, insulation should prevent that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Phil L wrote:

[...]

Isn't there a foam backed plasterboard? That might be the best
compromise..simply screwed into the brick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

funtwo wrote:

You could attach insulted plasterboard

****ing ******* plasterboard crap!

That do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Phil L wrote:

[...]

That's what I'd do, with the d&d as a bit of a leveller maybe. Doesn't
save space over the batten idea but less work, and better insulation

Dot n Dab Staffbull UK diy 20 October 26th 06 10:33 AM
Dot and Dab and Foil backed plasterboard Lawrence Zarb UK diy 2 May 4th 06 11:41 PM
Dot 'N' Dab The Medway Handyman UK diy 13 April 3rd 06 04:37 PM
Fixing to dot and dab walls Neil no junk please UK diy 4 March 22nd 04 09:30 PM
dot and dab insulated plaster board on solid wall - ok? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 4 October 14th 03 02:24 PM