Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default H&S Gone Mad Again

Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's
fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

The mind boggles........................

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-11 17:12:36 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

The mind boggles........................

This is because you would probably contract some horrible lurgy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:17:04 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2007-01-11 17:12:36 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

The mind boggles........................

This is because you would probably contract some horrible lurgy.

One of the problems that tea bars and coffee shops run by volunteers
have is with H&S and environmental health.

The volunteer organisations do not have access to expert advice or a
well informed person who can challenge and negotiate the often OT
rules or procedures that they are told they must comply with, so they
just give in.

I have had first hand experience of this with a very large volunteer
run coffee shop at my then local hospital; the food and beverage
provided were gradually reduced by rulings from the local
environmental health office. The commercial organisations providing
similar services in the same hospital didnt seem to suffer tho' !!
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:12:36 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

Perfectly reasonable. If you had removed the lid you would have seen
what was inside. When it popped its three eyes up above the tea
level you would have screamed and hurled the cup into the air. At
the same time you would have stepped back into a passing trolley
carrying someone from TV on their way to theatre for an emergency
nail repair.

The warm tea would have fallen upon an old lady who would have been
startled and waved her knitting about causing an unsecured no6
darning needle to pierce the brain of a cardiac consultant enjoying a
slice of Lardy Cake.

The trolley would have tipped over spilling the now unclothed minor
celebrity onto the cabinet minister sitting next to the chief
photographer from the News of The World.

You can see the headline now "Government fails to protect our Chillun
from Hospital Madmen - MRSA to blame". You just can't be too careful
about these things.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably the lid adds to the rigidity of the cup. Is there a beak / spout
for drinking from?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's
fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

The mind boggles........................

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

This means until you have found a suitable place to drink it ie walking
about with an open hot drink could result in getting knocked by someone and
you or they end up getting scolded.

Not rocket science really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...

Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's
fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

The mind boggles........................

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

This means until you have found a suitable place to drink it ie walking
about with an open hot drink could result in getting knocked by someone and
you or they end up getting scolded.

But who will administer the scolding?

Malcolm

Not rocket science really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
George wrote:
[...]

Tosses Malcom an 'A'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Small wonder the medical staff find other things to do
http://www.amateurtransplants.com/
(for the odd person who hasn't already heard this)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

That's not fair. You should give it to Malcolm.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-11 18:45:13 +0000, Malcolm Race said:

George wrote:
[...]

Matron. Who else?

Hattie Jacques would turn in her grave.

Mind you some of those WI women and county ladies who seem to frequent
hospitals would be able to
do a pretty good job as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

This means until you have found a suitable place to drink it ie
walking about with an open hot drink could result in getting knocked
by someone and you or they end up getting scolded.

Not rocket science really.

But how hard is rocket science?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:12:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:
George wrote:

This means until you have found a suitable place to drink it ie
walking about with an open hot drink could result in getting knocked
by someone and you or they end up getting scolded.

Not rocket science really.

But how hard is rocket science?

Not that hard really, it's just Newtonian mechanics. I did a bit
as an undergraduate a long, long time ago. I think it's considered
hard because there are so many bits that make up a rocket, and getting
them all assembled in the right order makes the manuals rather large
and daunting.
Having said that, there are (here's the DIY link) amateur rocket clubs
so it's well within the abilities of "normal" people.

Now tensor analysis, that was hard!

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But how hard is rocket science?

Not that hard really, it's just Newtonian mechanics. I did a bit
as an undergraduate a long, long time ago. I think it's considered
hard because there are so many bits that make up a rocket, and getting
them all assembled in the right order makes the manuals rather large
and daunting.
Having said that, there are (here's the DIY link) amateur rocket clubs
so it's well within the abilities of "normal" people.

Now tensor analysis, that was hard!

Pete

The point about rocket science is: if it fails you can't look at the
pieces to see what went wrong and thendo a quick repair. It either
works or it is totally destroted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's
fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

Can't remove the lid, can't drink, hospital can't be held responsible
for you dying if caffeine poisoning

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's
fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

Can't remove the lid, can't drink, hospital can't be held responsible
for you dying if caffeine poisoning

--
geoff

I see,what about tea,soup?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

said:

| Hi All
|
| Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's fine).
|
| League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;
|
| " Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
| Health & Safety Directive."
|
| The mind boggles........................
|
|This is because you would probably contract some horrible lurgy.
|
|One of the problems that tea bars and coffee shops run by volunteers
|have is with H&S and environmental health.
|
|The volunteer organisations do not have access to expert advice or a
|well informed person who can challenge and negotiate the often OT
|rules or procedures that they are told they must comply with, so they
|just give in.
|
|I have had first hand experience of this with a very large volunteer
|run coffee shop at my then local hospital; the food and beverage
|provided were gradually reduced by rulings from the local
|environmental health office. The commercial organisations providing
|similar services in the same hospital didnt seem to suffer tho' !!

Then I suggest that someone in that organization learns a little about
whatever they are doing. For years I have been in charge of the Food
Hygiene bits of a Soup Run. I got myself an Intermediate Food Hygiene
Certificate, at the massive cost of GBP46 plus about 8 evenings, and argue
the toss with the EHOs. We have made *no* substantial changes to what we
do, and the last inspection was absolutely clear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

This means until you have found a suitable place to drink it ie
walking about with an open hot drink could result in getting knocked
by someone and you or they end up getting scolded.

Not rocket science really.

But how hard is rocket science?

Not that hard really, it's just Newtonian mechanics. I did a bit
as an undergraduate a long, long time ago. I think it's considered
hard because there are so many bits that make up a rocket, and getting
them all assembled in the right order makes the manuals rather large
and daunting.

That's rocket engineering surely!

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

said:

| Hi All
|
| Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's fine).
|
| League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;
|
| " Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
| Health & Safety Directive."
|
| The mind boggles........................
|
|This is because you would probably contract some horrible lurgy.
|
|One of the problems that tea bars and coffee shops run by volunteers
|have is with H&S and environmental health.
|
|The volunteer organisations do not have access to expert advice or a
|well informed person who can challenge and negotiate the often OT
|rules or procedures that they are told they must comply with, so they
|just give in.
|
|I have had first hand experience of this with a very large volunteer
|run coffee shop at my then local hospital; the food and beverage
|provided were gradually reduced by rulings from the local
|environmental health office. The commercial organisations providing
|similar services in the same hospital didnt seem to suffer tho' !!

Then I suggest that someone in that organization learns a little about
whatever they are doing. For years I have been in charge of the Food
Hygiene bits of a Soup Run. I got myself an Intermediate Food Hygiene
Certificate, at the massive cost of GBP46 plus about 8 evenings, and argue
the toss with the EHOs. We have made *no* substantial changes to what we
do, and the last inspection was absolutely clear.

Its not so much someone having the qualifications - they did - but
having the energy, confidence and ability to do the necessary research
including reading the rules in detail to challenge EHOs.

I'm glad to hear you suceeded - BUT the fact that you read let alone
post regularly on newsgroups means you have the above qualities !

Many people (except newsgroup readers) accept whatever an
official/inspector tells them as accurate. mandatory and
non-negotiable.
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

said:
|| Hi All
|| Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's fine).
|| League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;
|| " Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
|| Health & Safety Directive."
|| The mind boggles........................
||This is because you would probably contract some horrible lurgy.
||One of the problems that tea bars and coffee shops run by volunteers
||have is with H&S and environmental health.
||The volunteer organisations do not have access to expert advice or a
||well informed person who can challenge and negotiate the often OT
||rules or procedures that they are told they must comply with, so they
||just give in.
||I have had first hand experience of this with a very large volunteer
||run coffee shop at my then local hospital; the food and beverage
||provided were gradually reduced by rulings from the local
||environmental health office. The commercial organisations providing
||similar services in the same hospital didnt seem to suffer tho' !!
|
|Then I suggest that someone in that organization learns a little about
|whatever they are doing. For years I have been in charge of the Food
|Hygiene bits of a Soup Run. I got myself an Intermediate Food Hygiene
|Certificate, at the massive cost of GBP46 plus about 8 evenings, and argue
|the toss with the EHOs. We have made *no* substantial changes to what we
|do, and the last inspection was absolutely clear.
|
|Its not so much someone having the qualifications - they did - but
|having the energy, confidence and ability to do the necessary research
|including reading the rules in detail to challenge EHOs.
|
|I'm glad to hear you suceeded - BUT the fact that you read let alone
|post regularly on newsgroups means you have the above qualities !
|
|Many people (except newsgroup readers) accept whatever an
|official/inspector tells them as accurate. mandatory and
|non-negotiable.

Shame really, EHOs have told me things which were absolutely wrong, quite
apart from the things which could be cured by minor adjustments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

Was back up the local hospital today to get the wound checked out (it's
fine).

League of Friends tea bar was covered on notices;

" Please DO NOT remove the plastic lids from hot beverages. This is a
Health & Safety Directive."

The mind boggles........................

People walk with them and spill the contents, making the floors slippery.
Common sense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:48:48 GMT, George wrote:

Can't remove the lid, can't drink, hospital can't be held responsible
for you dying if caffeine poisoning

I see,what about tea,soup?

Tannin, crouton?

--