Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default B&Q - Staff member goes mad - helps customer for 3/4's of an hour !

they're not all bad, on bloke today wrangled 2 other 'team members'
/and/ a forklift to get me just 4 bits of timber from the stillages which
should have been on the racks for sale but weren't because of lazy
night shift workers. top marks to the old fella and I /did/ leave a
positive -promote him- feedback card on his behalf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:05:07 GMT, "." wrote:

they're not all bad, on bloke today wrangled 2 other 'team members'
/and/ a forklift to get me just 4 bits of timber from the stillages which
should have been on the racks for sale but weren't because of lazy
night shift workers. top marks to the old fella and I /did/ leave a
positive -promote him- feedback card on his behalf.

Whats this card stuff..???

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:05:07 GMT, "." wrote:

they're not all bad, on bloke today wrangled 2 other 'team members'
/and/ a forklift to get me just 4 bits of timber from the stillages which
should have been on the racks for sale but weren't because of lazy
night shift workers. top marks to the old fella and I /did/ leave a
positive -promote him- feedback card on his behalf.

Whats this card stuff..???

Stuart

I can see it now... 'Mass sacking follows uk.d-i-y readers finding out
about staff report cards'

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

LOL praise where praise is due, and all that :-)

Is right :-)

We DIY shopped solely at Homebase (where possible) for a number of years
thanks to someone going out of their way to help us when we were really
stuck one time (we urgently needed a 6 foot panel to stop the dog
getting loose following a vandal attack).

....and of course, a letter of praise was copied to the store and their
head office.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "." contains these words:

no he won't and next time I'm in there (I'm in about about 4 times a week)
he'll give me a nod and I'll say thanks again. like garry in wickes
and jason
in the builders yard and that old fella in the roofing centre who lets
me have
a few recalaimed slates/whatever FOC and the owners of the builders
merchants who give me 28 days terms off the books and always make sure
that whatever is put on the van won;t be rejected.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's worked out how useful that can be.
I've had no end of help from others 'cos I'm patient and polite in
shops. The bloke in the yard at the local timber place helped me sort
out the most suitable bits of wood from a stack the other day 'cos a few
days earlier I'd helped him move some bits of stuff in the way of his
forklift. What goes around comes around.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

.. wrote:
they're not all bad, on bloke today wrangled 2 other 'team members'
/and/ a forklift to get me just 4 bits of timber from the stillages
which should have been on the racks for sale but weren't because of
lazy
night shift workers. top marks to the old fella and I /did/ leave a
positive -promote him- feedback card on his behalf.

I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows where
everything is to the last nut & bolt.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:15:40 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

. wrote:
they're not all bad, on bloke today wrangled 2 other 'team members'
/and/ a forklift to get me just 4 bits of timber from the stillages
which should have been on the racks for sale but weren't because of
lazy
night shift workers. top marks to the old fella and I /did/ leave a
positive -promote him- feedback card on his behalf.

I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows where
everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows
where everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

Crikey. He'd be 81 this year if he'd lived. Even B&Q let staff have some
rest before that age.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sat, 06 May 2006 14:06:37 GMT, "." wrote:

fred wrote:
In article , .
writes
fred wrote:
In article . com,
writes
Stuart wrote:
On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:05:07 GMT, "." wrote:

they're not all bad, on bloke today wrangled 2 other 'team
members' /and/ a forklift to get me just 4 bits of timber from
the
stillages which should have been on the racks for sale but
weren't because of lazy
night shift workers. top marks to the old fella and I /did/
leave a positive -promote him- feedback card on his behalf.

Whats this card stuff..???

Stuart

I can see it now... 'Mass sacking follows uk.d-i-y readers finding
out about staff report cards'

The old boy will certainly be sacked for being that helpful . . .

no he won't

I'm not talking about your mentality, I'm talking about theirs.
They're in a cut throat business and I can't see them viewing that
length of time as anything but a loss maker.

the 3/4's of an hour he spent with me at least covered his hourly rate
which is a lot more than can be said for some others in the store.

By all means praise helpfulness but if he gets too many 'spent 45mins
helping me' comments he'll be out on his arse.

he spent 45 mins doing his job.

And when I went back to B+Q last night after my horrendous experience on
Thursday( see previous posting) I found someone who could not have been more
helpful in trying to locate 24 rolls of Aquapanel tape that they were supposed
to have in stock...the missing Aquapanel Boards..again see other posting...
having been put in the plaster section where they should have been in the first
place .She engaged a young guy to try and find them and even went searching
herself but we had to give up in the end .She offered to phone me when/if they
were eventually found . I had to admit defeat and just paid for the
boards,screws and the Gyproc I ordered for delivery .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 06 May 2006 17:17:34 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows
where everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

Crikey. He'd be 81 this year if he'd lived. Even B&Q let staff have some
rest before that age.

I don't know. There's an old boy in the Farnborough store sometimes
who can't be far short of that age.... He doesn't seem to do a lot
other than to stand by the entrance greeting people as they go in.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Andy Hall wrote:

I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows
where everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

Only Side Saddle.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 07 May 2006 08:49:05 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows
where everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

Only Side Saddle.

Bit of a Roulette then.....?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows
where everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

Only Side Saddle.

Bit of a Roulette then.....?

Only when drinking China Tea at a Royal Event.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 07 May 2006 12:26:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows
where everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

Only Side Saddle.

Bit of a Roulette then.....?

Only when drinking China Tea at a Royal Event.

or Passing Breeze from a Snow Coach....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I've made a friend of 'Russ' in my local B&Q. Well over 60, knows
where everything is to the last nut & bolt.

Plays the piano?

Only Side Saddle.

Bit of a Roulette then.....?

Only when drinking China Tea at a Royal Event.

or Passing Breeze from a Snow Coach....

Talk about a bunch of anoraks...;-)

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Talk about a bunch of anoraks...;-)

Actually, a bunch of old anoraks.............. :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 8 May 2006 21:36:39 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote
(in article ) :

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Talk about a bunch of anoraks...;-)

Actually, a bunch of old anoraks.............. :-)

Going trainspotting with a bottle of weak lemon drink and a thin white ham
sandwich

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chips

Just by way of balance...
In B&Q yesterday and had the worst service humanly possible.
Had a very large (18mm thick) piece of plywood and was expected to turn
it and every other article over so they could scan them - wasn't asked,
just expected to.

Then, after being told that a VAT receipt "wasn't possible", ended up in
a verbal wrestle where I was finally told that I should have asked for
one sooner - i.e I was supposed to have read the mind of the till
operative before handing over my card.
Now, I'm no VAT genius but I believe that if I ask for a VAT I should
receive one, no matter how awkward it might be.

FFS.

Chips.

--
-----------
Chips'll make it better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:21:55 +0100, Chips wrote
(in article ):

Just by way of balance...
In B&Q yesterday and had the worst service humanly possible.
Had a very large (18mm thick) piece of plywood and was expected to turn
it and every other article over so they could scan them - wasn't asked,
just expected to.

Then, after being told that a VAT receipt "wasn't possible", ended up in
a verbal wrestle where I was finally told that I should have asked for
one sooner - i.e I was supposed to have read the mind of the till
operative before handing over my card.
Now, I'm no VAT genius but I believe that if I ask for a VAT I should
receive one, no matter how awkward it might be.

FFS.

Chips.

Oh, that's fine.

Take it to the returns desk and process for a refund - by definition you are
a consumer if you didn't have a VAT receipt.

Leave it on the trolley. They can put it back.

Ask to see the manager and ask for help to find a new sheet.

Now go and get a new sheet on a different trolley and process that with a
request for VAT receipt. Make sure that you pay with Amex. This costs them
more than credit cards.

Ask them to help you load it onto your vehicle. They will need to go back to
the store to get tape. And string. Three times.

This is more effective in Focus where they have surly teenagers. They will
never know so much again so encourage them to show you the way and
demonstrate their expertise. B&Q tends to have reasonably sentient students
at the weekends at least

/andy

Lee Valley Customer Service shooter Woodworking 24 April 14th 06 03:09 AM
OT - For Kathy Cliff Metalworking 3 September 1st 05 03:58 AM
OT - Helpdesk War Stories Stormin Mormon Metalworking 0 February 14th 05 02:45 PM