Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Under tile heating

I've just bought myself a 3m^2 under tile heating kit, and it has raised a
couple of questions :

1) at ~100w/m^2 this thing is only going to draw 300w when it is on. Do i
wire this into the lighting circuit, or run a spur from the ring main fused
at 3A?

2) Where should I put the digital timer thermostat thingy. The Mrs is keen
for it to go at shoulder level as per central heating thermostat, but I
think it should be discretely placed 150mm or so above the skirting.

3) Okay, so (2) was a matter of opinion, but where should the thermostat go?
Can it safely go in the bathroom, given that you only operate the low
voltage digitial i/f, and even then you'd only do it once in a blue moon.
Or, shoult it be outside the bathroom, as per the light switch

Cheers,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 19:49:48 -0000, "Chris Styles"
wrote:

I've just bought myself a 3m^2 under tile heating kit, and it has raised a
couple of questions :

1) at ~100w/m^2 this thing is only going to draw 300w when it is on. Do i
wire this into the lighting circuit, or run a spur from the ring main fused
at 3A?

2) Where should I put the digital timer thermostat thingy. The Mrs is keen
for it to go at shoulder level as per central heating thermostat, but I
think it should be discretely placed 150mm or so above the skirting.

3) Okay, so (2) was a matter of opinion, but where should the thermostat go?
Can it safely go in the bathroom, given that you only operate the low
voltage digitial i/f, and even then you'd only do it once in a blue moon.
Or, shoult it be outside the bathroom, as per the light switch

Cheers,

Chris

Based on the Heatmap units:
2) You need it at a height which will allow you to see the display and
change temp etc easily. 150cm is recommended and on my thermostat the
display is angled up slightly.

3) The IP rating of the unit and which zone (1,2,3 or unzoned) will
determine where you can mount it . Heatmap seem to indicate it should
be in the unzoned area.
If you can safely install it in the bathroom you can then use the room
temperature sensor (and the undertile sensor) to control the heating.
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
I've just bought myself a 3m^2 under tile heating kit, and it has raised a
couple of questions :

1) at ~100w/m^2 this thing is only going to draw 300w when it is on. Do i
wire this into the lighting circuit, or run a spur from the ring main
fused at 3A?

A fused spur from the ring main would be the better option. The underfloor
heating may need to be RCD protected. If your ring main is already RCD
protected then you are fine. If not use an RCD fused spur. The earth of the
underfloor heating should also be part of the supplementary bonding in the
bathroom. (Google this group for lots of info on this)

2) Where should I put the digital timer thermostat thingy. The Mrs is keen
for it to go at shoulder level as per central heating thermostat, but I
think it should be discretely placed 150mm or so above the skirting.

3) Okay, so (2) was a matter of opinion, but where should the thermostat
go? Can it safely go in the bathroom, given that you only operate the low
voltage digitial i/f, and even then you'd only do it once in a blue moon.
Or, shoult it be outside the bathroom, as per the light switch

If the thermostat and timer are a combined unit and work at 230volts then if
it is to be used in the bathroom it must be outside the zones.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Pocket%20Guide%201.pdf
should help.

I have only fitted a few of these underflor heating packs and they have
always had a thermostat that is laid into the tiles with a seperate
programmer.

HTH

Adam