Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile Underfloor heating.

"guv" wrote in message

Does that sound likely to be ok for using underfloor heating with? I
dont think the tiles mentioned are plastic (which would obvioulsy be
likely to melt under an electronic element), but that about the best
description I can think to describe them. I am unable to lay boards to
insulate further. It would raise the level too high.

I can't answer this I'm afraid. I laid onto concrete.

My second question is related to wiring and the sensor probe Ive seen
mention in these kits. They talk about digging down to fit the probe,
whilst the heating elements themselves, are just sticky taked into
position, then tiled over. Im confused as to why you would dig down?
Is that just because of its bulk - which would be much higher that the
rest of the elements? Im assuming that to be the case - but dont like
the idea of cracking the current plasticy flooring thats in situ.

The kit I used said just put the probe between the wires - and not too
close. There was no mention of digging down and I didn't. The probe wasn't
must thicker than the wire.

There was some gumpf about not crossing the element with the probe as well,
so I didn't.

Lastly, hardwiring. Obviously a thermostat is part of the equation and
a spur to power it. Is this really a "must" for a qualified
electician? It doesnt sound too difficult! Im supposing ignoring it
and DIY, would mean a potential insurance problem?

I put in a completely new circuit for the underfloor heating with it's own
MCB on the fusebox (and it has to have an RCD, so I put it on that side of
the CU). I believe this would now Part P notifiable (I did it a couple of
years ago, although I wouldn't bother notifying if I did it today). It
ain't hard, but know what you're doing if you're working on leccy. It would
probably only be an insurance problem if you screwed it up and burnt your
house down. You're not going to do that are you?

Cheers

The other advice I would give is make sure you test the heating before you
tile over, and then every so often as you tile. You can normally stick a
nornal plug on the cables and power it up that way. Oh, I was using
"warmup" brand stuff.

Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM