Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water leaking from Baxi Solo 2 boiler - heat exchanger? DIY?

Okay, the last few weeks has been pretty grim on the Central-Heating
front, with violent banging, system drain-downs, radiator purges,
chemical top-ups etc.

Finally, today, noticed water dripping from the boiler housing. Removed
the outer casing and the water is coming from the combustion chamber.

I'm pretty convinced that this can only be a perforated heat-exchanger,
which for a ten-year old boiler I'm guessing is pretty terminal?

Interestingly, this only happens when the boiler is off... maybe the
leak is evaporating within the boiler when running?, or maybe the leak
only manifests itself when the boiler is cooler (expansion, and the like)

Questions:

Can the heat-exchanger be economically replaced? (anyone know of a stockist)

Can this be considered a DIY job?

Is this likely a replacement boiler job?

if so... anyone know of a physically similar boiler to a Baxi Solo 2
40PF that could be mounted in the same 60cm cupboard?

Hmmm... just what I needed...

Regards

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
Okay, the last few weeks has been pretty grim on the Central-Heating
front, with violent banging, system drain-downs, radiator purges,
chemical top-ups etc.

Finally, today, noticed water dripping from the boiler housing. Removed
the outer casing and the water is coming from the combustion chamber.

I'm pretty convinced that this can only be a perforated heat-exchanger,
which for a ten-year old boiler I'm guessing is pretty terminal?

Interestingly, this only happens when the boiler is off... maybe the
leak is evaporating within the boiler when running?, or maybe the leak
only manifests itself when the boiler is cooler (expansion, and the like)

Questions:

Can the heat-exchanger be economically replaced? (anyone know of a stockist)

www.onlineboilerspares.co.uk

I used them for a spare for my Baxi Solo 3 last week. Very impressed.
Next day delivery for £2.99, and their price was way cheaper than I
could buy locally.

You might have to give them a call if you're not sure what the part
number is - but they're very helpful on the phone.

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:

[...]

If my reading of http://www.heateam.co.uk/services/repairs.html is correct,
Baxi will fix it for 300 quid. Don't know whether you consider that
'economical' or not.

Or you may be able to buy just the heat exchanger (Part # 364932) from
http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/index.htm - but there are no prices on
their site, so I don't know what the price would be. Also, I don't know
whether it's D-I-Y-able - it would certainly require a major dismanting of
the boiler.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

If my reading of http://www.heateam.co.uk/services/repairs.html is correct,
Baxi will fix it for 300 quid. Don't know whether you consider that
'economical' or not.

I'd jump at the chance to repair for £300, tbh.

However, t&cs....

"If your Appliance is deemed beyond economic repair, we may, and
entirely at our discretion, offer to supply you with a quotation for a
discounted replacement or equivalent replacement Appliance."

They'll take one look, "yer heat exchangers had it, mate..." etc. etc.

Or you may be able to buy just the heat exchanger (Part # 364932) from
http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/index.htm - but there are no prices on
their site, so I don't know what the price would be. Also, I don't know
whether it's D-I-Y-able - it would certainly require a major dismanting of
the boiler.

Okay, thanks for the information... the part number is useful, and was
excluded fromthe servicing manual.

Off to google a bit :0

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Or you may be able to buy just the heat exchanger (Part # 364932) from
http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/index.htm - but there are no prices on
their site, so I don't know what the price would be. Also, I don't know
whether it's D-I-Y-able - it would certainly require a major dismanting of
the boiler.

Hmmm, not bad... £151.30 +dreaded at
http://www.pricerightheating.com/Sho...pProduct2Id=92

Time to find a heating engineer, I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 4597a7ad.0@entanet, Mike Dodd
writes
Okay, the last few weeks has been pretty grim on the Central-Heating
front, with violent banging, system drain-downs, radiator purges,
chemical top-ups etc.

Finally, today, noticed water dripping from the boiler housing. Removed
the outer casing and the water is coming from the combustion chamber.

I'm pretty convinced that this can only be a perforated heat-exchanger,
which for a ten-year old boiler I'm guessing is pretty terminal?

Interestingly, this only happens when the boiler is off... maybe the
leak is evaporating within the boiler when running?, or maybe the leak
only manifests itself when the boiler is cooler (expansion, and the like)

Check that it's not coming from a joint first

Questions:

Can the heat-exchanger be economically replaced? (anyone know of a stockist)

The words economical and heat exchanger don't normally sit well together

Replacing a HE involves a major intrusion into the combustion chamber
including seals and carrying gas / products of combustion.

You need to be satisfied that you are "competent" to do it

Can this be considered a DIY job?

See above

Is this likely a replacement boiler job?

see above

if so... anyone know of a physically similar boiler to a Baxi Solo 2
40PF that could be mounted in the same 60cm cupboard?

DO check that it's not leaking from a joint first

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message 4597a7ad.0@entanet, Mike Dodd writes
Okay, the last few weeks has been pretty grim on the Central-Heating
front, with violent banging, system drain-downs, radiator purges,
chemical top-ups etc.

Finally, today, noticed water dripping from the boiler housing.
Removed the outer casing and the water is coming from the combustion
chamber.

I'm pretty convinced that this can only be a perforated
heat-exchanger, which for a ten-year old boiler I'm guessing is pretty
terminal?

Interestingly, this only happens when the boiler is off... maybe the
leak is evaporating within the boiler when running?, or maybe the leak
only manifests itself when the boiler is cooler (expansion, and the like)

Check that it's not coming from a joint first

There's an inlet going into the combustion chamber, an outlet leaving.
Remember, I've removed the outer skin... I'm pretty convinced that the
large 22mm compression fittings on the inlet/outlet are the main
connection to the heat exchanger. These are not leaking.

I do not expect any further joints.

Questions:

Can the heat-exchanger be economically replaced? (anyone know of a
stockist)

The words economical and heat exchanger don't normally sit well together

Replacing a HE involves a major intrusion into the combustion chamber
including seals and carrying gas / products of combustion.

You need to be satisfied that you are "competent" to do it

I'm satisfied that I don't want to attempt it.

Can this be considered a DIY job?

See above

Noted.

Is this likely a replacement boiler job?

see above

if so... anyone know of a physically similar boiler to a Baxi Solo 2
40PF that could be mounted in the same 60cm cupboard?

DO check that it's not leaking from a joint first

Aye, think it's time to "get a man in".

Thanks for the reply, though.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 45980698.0@entanet, Mike Dodd
writes
raden wrote:
[...]

Is there an air relief valve at the top ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
[...]

On the outlet (hot side), there's an air-bleed valve. There's no leak there.

In fact, this morning, the bowl I'm using to collect the water is dry.
Hmmph. I did try a central-heating stop-leak product, from Wickes (out
of desperation), maybe its done the trick? time will certainly tell. For
now it's going to go on the list of things to be critically observed.