Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice

Hi

I have a Heatline S30 Boiler ~3 Years old. I dont have any TRV's on my
Rads (I have 7 Rads).
I was wondering what would be better to spend money on.
Fit TRV's to all rads or get a programmale stat. Which would benefit me
more and even make my heating system more efficient and obviously save
me some money.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

yshaikh01 wrote:

I have a Heatline S30 Boiler ~3 Years old. I dont have any TRV's on my
Rads (I have 7 Rads).
I was wondering what would be better to spend money on.
Fit TRV's to all rads or get a programmale stat. Which would benefit me
more and even make my heating system more efficient and obviously save
me some money.

Well the obvious answer is to do both. Both will save money and improve
comfort levels in the house. The programmable stat is very easy to do
(20 min job), so you could do that straight away. The rad valves
obviously take a bit more work and planning. Remember not to fit a TRV
to the rad in the room with the stat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

yshaikh01 wrote:

Hi

I have a Heatline S30 Boiler ~3 Years old. I dont have any TRV's on my
Rads (I have 7 Rads).
I was wondering what would be better to spend money on.
Fit TRV's to all rads or get a programmale stat. Which would benefit me
more and even make my heating system more efficient and obviously save
me some money.

Thanks

Depends on you system, theres no way we can know. If its all balanced
perfectly you dont need TRVs. If OTOH the setup is unbalanceable they
wll save money - or in fact cost you, all depends.

A progstat only saves money if youre wiling to settle for lower temps
some of the day.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The rad valves obviously take a bit more work and planning. Remember not
to fit a TRV
to the rad in the room with the stat.

How easy is it to fit valves? We have some fitted (9 rads) but not on others
(another 5 rads,, mainly in hallways/small rooms).

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eastender wrote:

The rad valves obviously take a bit more work and planning. Remember not
to fit a TRV
to the rad in the room with the stat.

How easy is it to fit valves? We have some fitted (9 rads) but not on others
(another 5 rads,, mainly in hallways/small rooms).

It is one of those jobs that *ought* to be quite easy, but in reality
can be a PITA! Much will depend on what valves you currently have, what
you plan to fit, and the general state of your system.

You need to drain the system down (at least enough to relieve the
pressure in the places you are working). Sometimes you can get a valve
in as a striaght swap. However the list of possible gottchas include:

The new valves not having the same dimentions as the old, requiring
tweeks to the pipework or rad position to make things fit.

Some valves may require different sized/shaped rad tails, which will
mean you need to replace the tails as well. These are not always
striaghtforward since there are a number of different ways these tighten
(some with a spanner, some with an allen key stuffed up the inside etc).

Then all the usual problems with sized components etc.

Some TRVs will be fussy about which side (i.e. flow or return) they work
best on so you will need to choose the right side.

Finally you need to refill (and add more corrosian inhibitor if required).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

yshaikh01 wrote:
Hi

I have a Heatline S30 Boiler ~3 Years old. I dont have any TRV's on my
Rads (I have 7 Rads).
I was wondering what would be better to spend money on.
Fit TRV's to all rads or get a programmale stat. Which would benefit me
more and even make my heating system more efficient and obviously save
me some money.

Nice title. To the point and succinct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
yshaikh01 wrote:
I have a Heatline S30 Boiler ~3 Years old. I dont have any TRV's on my
Rads (I have 7 Rads).
I was wondering what would be better to spend money on.
Fit TRV's to all rads or get a programmale stat. Which would benefit me
more and even make my heating system more efficient and obviously save
me some money.

Best to have both. It might be ideal to have TRVs everywhere and a radio
stat so you can experiment to find the best place for it - leaving the
TRVs in that area full up. I have my stat in the living area (no TRVs
there) and that works well - apart from over Xmas with a house full where
the heat from the bodies kept the system off for the rest of the house.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:07:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

apart from over Xmas with a house full where
the heat from the bodies kept the system off for the rest of the house.

Cannibal feast in the drawing room was it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

It is one of those jobs that *ought* to be quite easy, but in reality can be a
PITA! Much will depend on what valves you currently have, what you plan to fit,
and the general state

Thanks - beyond me but worth getting a quote for I guess, as we don't have a hall
'stat and I'd like to leave the heating on low during cold nights. Or would a
simple solution be a hall 'stat linked direct to heating on/off programmer? The
hot water cylinder and controls are under hallway stairs.

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ps.com...

yshaikh01 wrote:
Hi

I have a Heatline S30 Boiler ~3 Years old. I dont have any TRV's on my
Rads (I have 7 Rads).
I was wondering what would be better to spend money on.
Fit TRV's to all rads or get a programmale stat. Which would benefit me
more and even make my heating system more efficient and obviously save
me some money.

Nice title. To the point and succinct.

FEELING BETTER?

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eastender wrote:

Thanks - beyond me but worth getting a quote for I guess, as we don't have a hall
'stat and I'd like to leave the heating on low during cold nights. Or would a
simple solution be a hall 'stat linked direct to heating on/off programmer? The
hot water cylinder and controls are under hallway stairs.

If you have a programmable stat it in effect replaces the functionality
of the programmer for the heating. Rather than worry about when you want
the heating on or off, simply set the stat so that you have the desired
temperatures when you want. So for example, I set ours to an overnight
temperature of 16 degrees. Generally this means the heating will not
fire at all at night, but it would kick in if it were really cold outside.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
:

eastender wrote:

Thanks - beyond me but worth getting a quote for I guess, as we don't
have a hall 'stat and I'd like to leave the heating on low during
cold nights. Or would a simple solution be a hall 'stat linked direct
to heating on/off programmer? The hot water cylinder and controls are
under hallway stairs.

If you have a programmable stat it in effect replaces the
functionality of the programmer for the heating. Rather than worry
about when you want the heating on or off, simply set the stat so that
you have the desired temperatures when you want. So for example, I set
ours to an overnight temperature of 16 degrees. Generally this means
the heating will not fire at all at night, but it would kick in if it
were really cold outside.

That's what i want... So do I replace the existing programmer (a Honeywell,
about 4 yaers old) with one with a stat? Or can i add a stat to the
Honeywell?
thx

E.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

eastender wrote:

If you have a programmable stat it in effect replaces the
functionality of the programmer for the heating. Rather than worry
about when you want the heating on or off, simply set the stat so that
you have the desired temperatures when you want. So for example, I set
ours to an overnight temperature of 16 degrees. Generally this means
the heating will not fire at all at night, but it would kick in if it
were really cold outside.

That's what i want... So do I replace the existing programmer (a Honeywell,
about 4 yaers old) with one with a stat? Or can i add a stat to the
Honeywell?

You can usually add a stat independantly of the programmer (the boiler
will have dedicated connections for it). The programmer can then be left
with the heating set to run all the time, with the stat doing the actual
control as required.

If wiring the stat is a pain then you can get wireless stats - you
connect the controller to the boiler and position the actual stat
anywhere suitable (or even try several places to find the best).

If your house takes a while to heat up then you might find it worth
getting an optimising stat. These learn the heat up characteristics of
the house and can turn the heating on in advance of a programmed
temperature rise to ensure the temperature selected for a given time
will be achived at that time, and not some variable period after.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

If wiring the stat is a pain then you can get wireless stats - you
connect the controller to the boiler and position the actual stat
anywhere suitable (or even try several places to find the best).

Ah, this looks interesting, as the boiler is a long way from the hall.
It's a 4 year old Valliant, which I presume is a suitable candidate.

E.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
eastender writes
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

If wiring the stat is a pain then you can get wireless stats - you
connect the controller to the boiler and position the actual stat
anywhere suitable (or even try several places to find the best).

Ah, this looks interesting, as the boiler is a long way from the hall.
It's a 4 year old Valliant, which I presume is a suitable candidate.

Pins 3, 4 and 5 on almost any Vaillant main pcb from the 242 onwards
would be suitable - read the manual

--
geoff