Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So should I keep my wall's worm at night

Do you leave the heating on or off at night
I live in a flat in London. During the night I turn the heating off
and then back on around 12:00 Pm. we set it to around 22 we love to sit
with short sleeve.
It takes the flat two and half hours to get from 17 to 22.
A friend told me it will be better to turn it down to 19 at night and
not to turn off because the walls are getting could during the night
when the heating is off and then it take a lot of time to worm the flat
back on.
I dint know what about you but I live in London and I remember that 10
years ago it was much colder and then we use to leave the heating on,
but now in our days with global worming the outside temperature is 7
degrees during the day. This is not so cold as it use to be 10 years
ago.
So should I keep my wall's worm at night?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2006 10:50:18 -0800, "Golan" wrote:

|Do you leave the heating on or off at night
|I live in a flat in London. During the night I turn the heating off
|and then back on around 12:00 Pm. we set it to around 22 we love to sit
|with short sleeve.

What do you mean by 12pm 1200hrs or 0001 hrs?

|It takes the flat two and half hours to get from 17 to 22.
|A friend told me it will be better to turn it down to 19 at night and
|not to turn off because the walls are getting could during the night
|when the heating is off and then it take a lot of time to worm the flat
|back on.
|I dint know what about you but I live in London and I remember that 10
|years ago it was much colder and then we use to leave the heating on,
|but now in our days with global worming the outside temperature is 7
|degrees during the day. This is not so cold as it use to be 10 years
|ago.
|So should I keep my wall's worm at night?

It all depends on how well insulated your walls are.
Modern walls are well insulated old ones are *not*.
How old is your flat and have the cavities been filled?
Well insulated walls store *lots* of heat so you can rely on them to keep
the flat warm overnight, so you do not need to keep the heating on/turned
down overnight. Poorly insulated walls less so.

What temperature does the flat fall to when it freezes outside at night?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Golan" wrote in message
ps.com...
Do you leave the heating on or off at night

We turn ours off becaue we don't like to breathe in warm air, that's a
personal preference.

I live in a flat in London. During the night I turn the heating off
and then back on around 12:00 Pm. we set it to around 22 we love to sit
with short sleeve.

Perhaps, but it's wasteful of energy (gas or electricity) and more expensive
than putting on a jumper.

It takes the flat two and half hours to get from 17 to 22.

Ek! I couldn't bear that temperature :-)

A friend told me it will be better to turn it down to 19 at night and
not to turn off because the walls are getting could during the night
when the heating is off and then it take a lot of time to worm the flat
back on.
I dint know what about you but I live in London and I remember that 10
years ago it was much colder and then we use to leave the heating on,
but now in our days with global worming the outside temperature is 7
degrees during the day. This is not so cold as it use to be 10 years
ago.
So should I keep my wall's worm at night?

It depends on your preferences, how much you care about global warming and
how much moiney you want to spend on fuel.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2006 10:50:18 -0800, Golan wrote:

So should I keep my wall's worm at night?

No, take the piperazine and sennapod tablets and **** them away, disgusting
little things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2006 10:50:18 -0800, Golan wrote:

So should I keep my wall's worm at night?

If your walls have worm you have far more serious problems to worry about
than leaving the heating on or not.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Golan wrote:

[...]

There's the problem. Your heating system is atrocious. Maybe also the
flat has no insulation anywhere. Once the heating's fixed theres no
reason to leave it on overnight. Until then you'll just have to time
the CH to come on 2.5hrs before you want it upto temp. Oh, and reduce
22 to 21 or 20. You're probably only wanting 22 because you've sat
there for so long in the cool.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Golan wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily. My house takes about 4-5 hours to go from 17 to
22...but conversely it takes all night and most of the following day to
drop back from 22 to 17...its a very big screed floor with UFH...and BIG
brick chimneys..must be several hundred tons of concrete and masonry
inside it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Golan wrote:

[...]

So yours doesnt drop from 22 to 17 each day. If the temp drop you had
took 2.5hrs to warm up every morning, there would be a problem in that
the heating has to be set to come on 2.5hrs before wanted, resulting in
**** poor energy performance. I think thats a problem. I sure wouldnt
want this place running like that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Golan" wrote:
[...]

I had cavity wall insulation and double glazing installed this year so only
need to have the CH on in really cold weather. The HW/CH timer is set as
follows:
ON at 6am, OFF at 9am, ON at 5pm, OFF at 10pm. A lot of the time the CH
isn't on as the air temperature is above the thermostat setting (20
degrees). Two and half hours to get from 17 to 22 sounds like you have poor
insulation and/or a poor CH system. You could take meter readings, run it
for a week on 24 hours a day, take meter readings, run it for a week on
daytime only, take meter readings, and work out which is cheaper, but
outside temperature changes will affect the accuracy of this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Golan wrote:

[...]

I only have a 15KW boiler for a 6 bedroom house..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall typed

Is it possible that he's used to a warmer climate?

Possibly though Mum said it was snowing in Jerusalem this afternoon.
Kids were ecstatic cos they might get time off school.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27 23:56:57 +0000, Helen Deborah Vecht
said:

Andy Hall typed

Is it possible that he's used to a warmer climate?

Possibly though Mum said it was snowing in Jerusalem this afternoon.

Hmm.... Still I suppose it is relatively high (800m or so?)

Kids were ecstatic cos they might get time off school.

Yes but then they'll have to deal with their mothers ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall typed

On 2006-12-27 23:56:57 +0000, Helen Deborah Vecht
said:

Andy Hall typed

Is it possible that he's used to a warmer climate?

Possibly though Mum said it was snowing in Jerusalem this afternoon.

Hmm.... Still I suppose it is relatively high (800m or so?)

Indeed.

Kids were ecstatic cos they might get time off school.

Yes but then they'll have to deal with their mothers ;-)

Yebbut my Mum is their Grandma and that means *fun*...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's always cheaper to turn heating on and off as and when it is or is
not wanted

Posted to uk.d-i-y

normanwisdom wrote:
It's always cheaper to turn heating on and off as and when it is or is
not wanted

It is possible to construct scenarios where it isn't..see thread about a
month ago.

Boilers that are inefficient at peak output being the simplest one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-28 09:49:03 +0000, "normanwisdom" said:

It's always cheaper to turn heating on and off as and when it is or is
not wanted

Not necessarily.

Given that the criterion is that the room temperature should be at a
certain level between specific times:

In the case of a modern building of low thermal mass and good
insulation, it probably is.

In the case of an old building with high thermal mass, the heating may
have to be switched on earlier in order to achieve the required
temperature at the start of the required time, or overdesigned to
produce a faster warm-up. The latter may have a tendency to cause
temperature overshoot leading to less comfort and higher energy use.

Temperature set back may well be the most cost effective and least
expensive way overall to achieve the required result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-28 00:44:23 +0000, Helen Deborah Vecht
said:

Andy Hall typed

On 2006-12-27 23:56:57 +0000, Helen Deborah Vecht
said:

Andy Hall typed

Is it possible that he's used to a warmer climate?

Possibly though Mum said it was snowing in Jerusalem this afternoon.

Hmm.... Still I suppose it is relatively high (800m or so?)

Indeed.

Even so, I don't remember my Israeli friends mentioning snow so I suppose
it's fairly unusual? Mind you, most of them are in Tel Aviv :-)

Kids were ecstatic cos they might get time off school.

Yes but then they'll have to deal with their mothers ;-)

Yebbut my Mum is their Grandma and that means *fun*...

Ah. That's different then ;-)

worm gears idundidit Metalworking 9 March 30th 06 12:47 AM
worm question [email protected] Home Repair 24 August 15th 05 10:03 PM
Worm drive saw ????? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 10 May 31st 05 02:27 PM
How do you measure a brick wall's height? Dean UK diy 1 August 1st 03 06:41 PM
Wood worm Dave P UK diy 7 July 14th 03 11:40 AM