Dave P

Default Wood worm

Not long in the house but it had a wood worm cert. Firm no longer in
business but the wee beasties are!

It's a small cottage but any rough ideas on cost and is it worth paying more
to a big named company or will a local operator be just as good?

Thanks,

Dave

John Jardine

Dave P wrote in message
Not long in the house but it had a wood worm cert. Firm no longer in
business but the wee beasties are!

It's a small cottage but any rough ideas on cost and is it worth paying

more
to a big named company or will a local operator be just as good?

Thanks,

Dave

Essentially, 'woodworm treatment' consists of a one off process of just
spraying wood with woodworm fluid. If the beasties are back, then it implies
they were never sprayed in the first place.
It doesn't take much skill to operate the spraygun, therefore the local firm
will probably be cheaper to use as they are not paying out for large
marketing and sales teams.
regards
john

The Natural Philosopher

Paul C. Dickie wrote:

In article , Alan junk_news_a@am
acleod.clara.co.uk writes

In message , John Jardine
wrote

Essentially, 'woodworm treatment' consists of a one off process of just
spraying wood with woodworm fluid. If the beasties are back, then it implies
they were never sprayed in the first place.
It doesn't take much skill to operate the spraygun, therefore the local firm
will probably be cheaper to use as they are not paying out for large
marketing and sales teams.

Doesn't good ventilation and a winter with central heating get rid of
wood worm in most houses?

*With* central heating?

Don't you mean *without*?

No, you are wrong, he is right. In winter teh relative humidity inside a
house drops to an all time low as cold air is heated, it loses humidity.

This time of year, is the peak time for internal humidity, as by
buckling wood floor testifies Must put and expansion gap there - its
too big a run)

Of course when you have a situation where internal moist air is hitting
cold uninsulated stuff - e.g. a roof - then the reverse is true, and
that may be what you were thinking of...

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:51:25 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

No, you are wrong, he is right. In winter teh relative humidity inside a
house drops to an all time low as cold air is heated, it loses humidity.

In continental Europe or the USA it does, but in England, our winters
aren't very cold, yet are still damp.

I'm in Bristol, in a centrally heated Victorian terrace with no
significant draughts or damp problems, and I have temp and RH monitors
all over the house. My winter indoor RH is about 70%. In the
workshop I can reach 100% RH in January.
Gnube

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:28:25 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

In the
workshop I can reach 100% RH in January.

fog or sweat from your labours? ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube

Andy Dingley

wrote:

In the
workshop I can reach 100% RH in January.

fog or sweat from your labours? ;O)

Not sweat - I can't bear to be out there for much of the year 8-(

It's a single layer clear PVC corrugated roof. For the worst of the
winter it's too cold for the humidifiers to get the total humidity
down during the day, yet I get condensation under the roof at night.
Total PITA.....

For rustproof tool storage, I now have an electric wardrobe with
heaters inside.

geoff

In message , Andy Dingley
writes

wrote:

In the
workshop I can reach 100% RH in January.

fog or sweat from your labours? ;O)

Not sweat - I can't bear to be out there for much of the year 8-(

It's a single layer clear PVC corrugated roof. For the worst of the
winter it's too cold for the humidifiers to get the total humidity
down during the day, yet I get condensation under the roof at night.
Total PITA.....

For rustproof tool storage, I now have an electric wardrobe with
heaters inside.

Do they iron your shirts too?
--
geoff
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

No, you are wrong, he is right. In winter teh relative humidity inside a
house drops to an all time low as cold air is heated, it loses humidity.

In continental Europe or the USA it does, but in England, our winters
aren't very cold, yet are still damp.

I'm in Bristol, in a centrally heated Victorian terrace with no
significant draughts or damp problems, and I have temp and RH monitors
all over the house. My winter indoor RH is about 70%. In the
workshop I can reach 100% RH in January.

Well that is bristol for you - warm and wet!

Seriously, here in east anglia, the RH goes way down in winter cxost teh
heating is on. In summer water will drip of the incoming mains pipe at
the slightest provocation. I estimate well over 90% RH.