Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fitted an outside tap..

I got a kit from Screwfix and fitted it, highly recommended for under a
tenner !
Anyway, am I supposed to tell the water company and would they charge
me for it ?
or what other rules/ regs have I broken

I fitted a new tv aerial as well, bracket and pole from screwfix too..
what a marvelous company to deal with !

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

None. Mercifully there isn't a plumbing equivalent of Part P.

Doesn't that depend on whether he got the one with or without the
integral check valve (assuming he hasn't got a separate one fitted)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

None. Mercifully there isn't a plumbing equivalent of Part P.

Doesn't that depend on whether he got the one with or without the
integral check valve (assuming he hasn't got a separate one fitted)?

There are still some regs to be complied with, but the Screwfix kit to which
he refers *does* have a built-in check valve.

My reference to Part P was really referring to work being notifiable - and
having to be inspected/signed off. *That* doesn't apply to this sort of DIY
job!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:44:04 -0000 Roger Mills wrote :
My reference to Part P was really referring to work being
notifiable - and having to be inspected/signed off. *That*
doesn't apply to this sort of DIY job!

IIRC under the Water Byelaws of yesteryear - probably still around
in some form or other - work of this sort was notifiable. But I
don't expect anyone ever did ask first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:

The people you 'should' tell are your local valuation people as there
is a higher rateable value on your house if it has an outside tap.

Except that, with Council Tax, there's no such thing as rateable value any
more, apart from the historic value still used for non-metered water rates -
but that never gets updated, and doesn't exist at all for newer properties.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:

IIRC under the Water Byelaws of yesteryear - probably still around
in some form or other - work of this sort was notifiable. But I
don't expect anyone ever did ask first.

Notifiable to whom? I can't see BCOs being interested!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:43:58 -0000, "Roger Mills"

I got a kit from Screwfix and fitted it, highly recommended for under
a tenner !
Anyway, am I supposed to tell the water company and would they charge
me for it ?

Not unless you're planning to fill a swimming pool from it - or install an
automatic watering system for your garden - in which case they would
probably insist that you have a water meter fitted.

Northumbrian Water, who have no shortage of water, insist on a water
meter if you have *any* sort of garden sprinkler, according to their
website.
I have a water meter anyway. Loads of my neighbours have sprinklers
but no meter :-|

ISTR that at one time the water rate depended on the number of WCs in
the premises, but I'm not sure about sinks, outside taps or whatever.

The OP should visit his water company's website, which I'm sure will
tell all...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:44:04 -0000 Roger Mills wrote :
My reference to Part P was really referring to work being
notifiable - and having to be inspected/signed off. *That*
doesn't apply to this sort of DIY job!

IIRC under the Water Byelaws of yesteryear - probably still around
in some form or other - work of this sort was notifiable. But I
don't expect anyone ever did ask first.

The Water Regulations were repealed and replaced by the Water Supply (Water
Fittings) Regulations 1999. Section 5 sets out the works that must be
notified to the water undertaker, before starting, but houses are
specifically excluded from the need to notify the extension or alteration of
a water system. One or two specific items are notifiable, such as an
automatic watering system, but not an outside tap.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:44:04 -0000 Roger Mills wrote :
My reference to Part P was really referring to work being
notifiable - and having to be inspected/signed off. *That*
doesn't apply to this sort of DIY job!

IIRC under the Water Byelaws of yesteryear - probably still around
in some form or other - work of this sort was notifiable. But I
don't expect anyone ever did ask first.

The Water Regulations were repealed and replaced by the Water Supply
(Water Fittings) Regulations 1999. Section 5 sets out the works that must
be notified to the water undertaker, before starting, but houses are
specifically excluded from the need to notify the extension or alteration
of a water system. One or two specific items are notifiable, such as an
automatic watering system, but not an outside tap.

Colin Bignell

When I lived at my previous house, I told Northumbrian Water I had fitted an
outside tap and the chap on the other end of the phone said, I quote: "good
for you but we didn't need to know that "

--
the_constructor