Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
David Hearn

Default Possible damp upstairs bay

Our 1930's semi has a bay front (single bay spanning upstairs and
downstairs). The soffits extend past the bay (so its not a flat roofed
bay).

When we moved in, we noticed that the wall paper around the upstairs bay was
coming off. I suspected this may be due to damp. What I'm wondering is
what the constuction is of upstairs bays. I assume that the downstairs one
is a standard cavity wall (like the rest of the house) - but the upstairs
one is a bit of an unknown for me. Other houses in the street have rendered
bays, tiled bays etc - whereas the front of our house is stone clad (ewww!).
I suspect though that whatever construction it is - its a single thickness -
ie. no cavity and therefore possibly more susceptible to damp.

So - is there anything I can do to reduce any damp problems when
re-papering? Can I paint something on to stop it (I'm just after something
to stop the paper coming off as we've not noticed there being any other
problems with it)?

Any advice?

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.

Damp garage Jon Read UK diy 6 August 29th 03 04:18 PM
Damp inside loft wall Orb UK diy 2 August 22nd 03 11:18 AM
Where to get damp proofing cream? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 11 August 13th 03 08:52 AM