stuart noble

Default Possible damp upstairs bay

David Hearn wrote in message ...
I'll be keeping an eye on it over the wet months, and possibly putting a
resistance meter onto that wall and see if its damp. Any idea of the

normal
resistance one would expect? I tried it this morning on a few plaster

walls
and they all were infinite resistance (well, my meter showed nothing!).

Better to just lay the palm of your hand on the wall. Try it on a dry bit
first and you'll soon feel the difference if it's damp. I've never found
meters very reliable.
If I used a something like this "SBR latex polymer" - would wallpaper paste
have any difficulty in sticking to it? I tried wall-papering onto a
semi-glossy (more of a sheen) painted wall before and it was a pain to get
it to stick. Could this also have a similar effect? Incidentally, where
would I locate some of this wonder-stuff?

It would have a similar effect but this is because the plaster isn't sucking
the paste. Nice and easy to slide the paper about and, when it dries, it's a
far better bond.
SBR you can get from most builders merchants but it's for sealing damp. In
your case PVA would do as well and is a lot cheaper.

Thanks