Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp Proofing - Paint to use/avoid

I had this done to the walls in my dining room about 5 months ago and I
want to paint them again.

Is it ok to use "normal" paint. Was going to use Dulux Matt (water
based).

Can anyone confirm? Thanks, Ed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed_Zep wrote:
I had this done to the walls in my dining room about 5 months ago and
I want to paint them again.

Is it ok to use "normal" paint. Was going to use Dulux Matt (water
based).

Can anyone confirm? Thanks, Ed.

You can use any paint you like, the damp proof liquid is in the bricks, and
the backing render has waterproofing agents mixed in - the skimming (top
coat plaster) is normal, every day, common or garden plaster and can be
painted, papered or stippled with a multitude of materials.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can use any paint you like, the damp proof liquid is in the bricks, and
the backing render has waterproofing agents mixed in - the skimming (top
coat plaster) is normal, every day, common or garden plaster and can be
painted, papered or stippled with a multitude of materials.

Thanks. It was just that I'd heard that vinyl paint was to be avoided
and I know that the Limelite Renovation skim used is white rather than
the normal brown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed_Zep wrote:

You can use any paint you like, the damp proof liquid is in the bricks, and
the backing render has waterproofing agents mixed in - the skimming (top
coat plaster) is normal, every day, common or garden plaster and can be
painted, papered or stippled with a multitude of materials.

Thanks. It was just that I'd heard that vinyl paint was to be avoided
and I know that the Limelite Renovation skim used is white rather than
the normal brown.

what is the cause of the damp? what age is the house? is it externally
renderd? does it have cavity or solid walls?
Limelite is cement based. Whether you want to avoid vinyl paint depends
on what approach youre taking to the problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

what is the cause of the damp? what age is the house? is it externally
renderd? does it have cavity or solid walls?
Limelite is cement based. Whether you want to avoid vinyl paint depends
on what approach youre taking to the problem.

NT

It's a 1940s house near the bottom of a hill and water started rising
up walls. The CDPC and plastering seems to have done the trick. It has
cavity walls.
The walls are not externally rendered.

Thanks, Ed.

damp proofing cream? peter UK diy 6 August 19th 06 06:03 PM
Damp proofing emulsion paint DIY disaster UK diy 5 December 20th 05 07:22 AM
damp proofing -> 'Centrepruf' Richard UK diy 2 March 7th 05 08:40 PM
Where to get damp proofing cream? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 11 August 13th 03 08:52 AM