Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Model making

Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or newsgroups.
Thanks for looking.

Andy.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

handy-andy wrote:

Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or
newsgroups. Thanks for looking.

Andy.

Model Engineer
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:56:37 -0000, "handy-andy"
wrote:

Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or newsgroups.
Thanks for looking.

Model Engineers Workshop ( aka MEW ) used to be a decent mag, and
uk.rec.models.engineering is a useful newsgroup.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 4:56 pm, "handy-andy" wrote:
Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or newsgroups.
Thanks for looking.

You need to be a bit more specific about the kind of models. Boats,
planes, railways, military, architectural, model engineering, or...?

MBQ

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or newsgroups.
Thanks for looking.

Model Engineers Workshop ( aka MEW ) used to be a decent mag, and
uk.rec.models.engineering is a useful newsgroup.

For some reason that name triggered a long-forgotten memory of
"Practical Mechanics", a monthly magazine edited by FJ Camm in the
1950s. The same chap edited "Practical Wireless", "Practical Television"
etc. ISTR that in one of those magazines appeared a long-running series
of articles by the Flat Earth Society which triggered my interest in
mathematics.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Dec 12, 4:56 pm, "handy-andy" wrote:
Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or newsgroups.
Thanks for looking.

You need to be a bit more specific about the kind of models. Boats,
planes, railways, military, architectural, model engineering, or...?

MBQ

have a look here..

www.rcgroups.com

That's for all radio and actual working models.

There's another one www.rcuniverse.com but thats more IC engines..

and www.wattflyer.com IIRC for electric flight.

Plus on usenet rec.models.* for all sorts of inane ********.

and uk.rec.models.* for UK stuff.

As far as e.g. plastic scale or engineering models - trains and the
like, I dunno. Got enough on my plate with the toy planes as it is..

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or
newsgroups. Thanks for looking.

Model Engineers Workshop ( aka MEW ) used to be a decent mag, and
uk.rec.models.engineering is a useful newsgroup.

For some reason that name triggered a long-forgotten memory of "Practical
Mechanics", a monthly magazine edited by FJ Camm in the 1950s. The same
chap edited "Practical Wireless", "Practical Television" etc. ISTR that in
one of those magazines appeared a long-running series of articles by the
Flat Earth Society which triggered my interest in mathematics.

And you jogged my memory and sent me scurrying to my book shelf. Sure
enough there was a copy of "The News Chronicle Encyclopaedia of Popular
Mechanics" by the same F.J.Camm who, according to the foreword he penned was
editor of both "Practical Mechanics" and "Practical Wireless". You can
judge its age by the name of the first section - "Accumulators". There is
also a section on television which describes Mr Baird's state of the art
system with spinning perforated discs that is currently being tested by the
BBC.
--
Keith Willcocks

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Keith Willcocks wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Can't go that far back but when I was at college in the 60s doing day
release on Radio & Television Servicing, one of our lecturers used to
refer to PW and PT as "Camm's Comics!"

Terry

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:
Can't go that far back but when I was at college in the 60s doing day
release on Radio & Television Servicing, one of our lecturers used to
refer to PW and PT as "Camm's Comics!"

No doubt your lecturer preferred the works of MG Scroggie
(I always that was such a wonderful surname)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Some days you are the pigeon. Some days you are the statue"
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

"handy-andy" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone have any idea of any good uk model making magazines &/or
newsgroups. Thanks for looking.

Andy.

Go to W H Smiths, they have a massive selection of magazines, you can
usually read one or two before they cotton on and insist you buy one or
leave....

As for news groups, if you use Outlook express as your reader just search
the word model under newsgroups....be careful which ones you subscribe to
though! (Or not, depending on your sensibilities!)

In all seriousness what kind of models? Boats, planes, trains, gypsy
caravans, plastic, wooden....etc etc.

Al

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
I'd *love* a lego difference engine :-)

Try http://tinyurl.com/dvkng !
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Some days you are the pigeon. Some days you are the statue"
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Bruce wrote:
Owain wrote: