Charles A. Sherwood

Default Making model engine radiator

be about 5 inchs square and about 3/4 inch thick. Please keep in
mind that looks are paramount for a model so slapping something
together with a heater core is out of the question.

I would like to make the entire radiator out of stainless steel.
I would like to make the fins out of SS stock about 35 thousands thick.
This leads me to all kinds of questions. I need to run some tubes
through the fins. How do I run the tubes through the fins and still
maintain good thermal contact? I also need to maintain a uniform
spacing on all the fins. Obviously drilling holes in the fins and
sticking the tubes through the plate will not work. Should I drill
an undersize hole and then press the tube through the fin? Is there
some way to punch a hole in the fin such that it leave a consistant
raised surface that would provide the fin to fin spacing??

I envision silver soldering the manafold to the tubes. How do I
do this with tarnishing the fins? I suspect there is no way,
so perhaps you can suggest how to attach a manafold to the tubes.

I need about 60 fins that are cut from sheet metal; I don't have
a shear. I suspect my band saw with mutulate thin stock. I could
use a slitting saw, but that seems very time consuming. I suppose
I could gang some slitting saws on the horizonal mill and cut several
at a time. After rough cutting the fins, I could sandwich them all
together and mill them to make them all consistant but I need
something reasonable to start with.

chuck
axolotl

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
be about 5 inchs square and about 3/4 inch thick. Please keep in
mind that looks are paramount for a model so slapping something
together with a heater core is out of the question.

Well... You could get get some Cerrobend, pour it into a sheet the
thickness of the spacing of the fins. Cut it into strips, and sandwich
the fin material between the strips. Mill and drill the assembly as a
block (make the holes undersize for a friction fit with the tubes).
Insert the tubes. The assembly should now be stable enough to solder the
tubes into the manifold while melting out the Cerrobend.

Kevin Gallimore

larry g

Charles
Have you connected up with this group; www.portlandmodelengineers.org ?
Chase down the contacts and contact Gary Hart. I believe that you will find
him a wealth of information, and joining up with the group will get you
contacts galore in your neck of the woods.
lg
no neat sig line