Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricity meter is rattling

Ive just converted my integral garage into a room, with a walk in
cupboard at the back
The electricity meter used to be at the back of the garage mounted on a
wooden board ( a piece of flooring by the looks of it). Anyway i had to
relocate this board by moving it a few inches higher up the wall to
allow my distribution board to be sited under it. The board was just
nailed to the plasterboard wall so I removed it and the whole board
rotated 90 degrees and i used one nail to hold it in place temporarily.
When I got all the work down, i turned the board back to it original
location and moved it higher up the wall and screwed it into place.
But now the meter has got this horrendous rattle noise coming from it,
sometimes if i tap the meter the rattle will go away but it returns a
few seconds later.
Im in Scotland so does anyone know who i should get to fix this ( the
company i pay my electric bill to or someone else) and will there be a
cost as if i am correct in believing, technically the electric meter
isnt my property

TIA
Doug

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:43:42 +0000, Stuart
wrote:

On 7 Dec 2006 01:26:37 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I had a similar problem with a fairly new meter rattling ..well humming lodly
actually ..I contacted my electricity supplier (Seeboard) but they said I had to
contact Scottish Power and I did and they sent someone out to replace it .

Try Scottish Power .

Or was it the other way round ..On reflection I think it might have been
.....even though the meter belongs to Sc Power they wouldn't deal with it .They
wanted my supplier to contact them to get it sorted ....so contact your supplier
..

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

....even though the meter belongs to Sc Power they wouldn't deal with it .They
wanted my supplier to contact them to get it sorted ....so contact your supplier

No, if its making funny noises, contact the local REC and get one of
their shift electricians out to do a "check for safety".

This should generally happen within 24 hours under any circumstances
where you suspect safety might be an issue, depending on the severity of
the risk (smell of burning, arcing, and electric shocks are all TOP
priority) !

Irrespective of who the meter belongs to, the RECs' shift electricians
are empowered to bridge the meter if necessary to ensure the customer
remains in supply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:00:10 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Irrespective of who the meter belongs to, the RECs' shift electricians
are empowered to bridge the meter if necessary to ensure the customer
remains in supply.

At which point, fire up the lights and get as much cannabis growing as
you can