Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile Gap Above Bath

I'm about to tile around my new bath and have seen it suggested to leave a 1
tile thickness gap between the bath and the lowest tile . Trying that out it
seems quite a lot ( tiles are 6mm) . Any ideas ?

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
I'm about to tile around my new bath and have seen it suggested to leave a 1
tile thickness gap between the bath and the lowest tile . Trying that out it
seems quite a lot ( tiles are 6mm) . Any ideas ?

Right-angle beading between these and the bath, siliconed on.
And put a bit of wood under the bath edge to support it there, and make
sure it does not move.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05 Dec 2006 14:03:48 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Stuart wrote:
I'm about to tile around my new bath and have seen it suggested to leave a 1
tile thickness gap between the bath and the lowest tile . Trying that out it
seems quite a lot ( tiles are 6mm) . Any ideas ?

Right-angle beading between these and the bath, siliconed on.
And put a bit of wood under the bath edge to support it there, and make
sure it does not move.

Thx Ian but I don't want to go down that road .I'm just going to tile down on to
the bath ( already in place) and silicone the gap. It was just the dimension of
the gap I was concerned about .I thought 6mm looked a lot .
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
I'm about to tile around my new bath and have seen it suggested to leave a 1
tile thickness gap between the bath and the lowest tile . Trying that out it
seems quite a lot ( tiles are 6mm) . Any ideas ?

Right-angle beading between these and the bath, siliconed on.
And put a bit of wood under the bath edge to support it there, and make
sure it does not move.

Thx Ian but I don't want to go down that road .I'm just going to tile down on to
the bath ( already in place) and silicone the gap. It was just the dimension of
the gap I was concerned about .I thought 6mm looked a lot .

If the bath moves 1mm from loaded-unloaded, it's 1/6th movement, which
is quite a lot.
Remember to silicone the gap when it's full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message
I'm about to tile around my new bath and have seen it suggested to leave a
1
tile thickness gap between the bath and the lowest tile . Trying that out
it
seems quite a lot ( tiles are 6mm) . Any ideas ?

Can I ask where you heard this? I have tiled many a bathroom, shower,
kitchen, etc. and have never heard this! Are you sure you're not confusing
it with leaving a one tile HEIGHT above the bath when tiling when the bath
isn't in place? Then after the bath is installed stick this row on.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:02:47 -0000, "John" wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
I'm about to tile around my new bath and have seen it suggested to leave a
1
tile thickness gap between the bath and the lowest tile . Trying that out
it
seems quite a lot ( tiles are 6mm) . Any ideas ?

Can I ask where you heard this? I have tiled many a bathroom, shower,
kitchen, etc. and have never heard this! Are you sure you're not confusing
it with leaving a one tile HEIGHT above the bath when tiling when the bath
isn't in place? Then after the bath is installed stick this row on.

HTH

John

There is a thread started on 3/9/06 re Installing Bath And Tiles and this is a
quote from it .Reply by John Rumm. Someone else said 3 mm was appropriate which
I'd tend to be more inclined to go with
A bath, but I mostly have showers...IME silicone will last forever and a day
around window and door frames, but around baths and shower trays, apart from
going black (even the mould resistant stuff) it tends to come away in a
strip, maybe the mould causes this but unless a ****ing big bed of it an

Probably not been applied correctly then. The surfaces need to be clean
(rubbing down with IPA helps), there needs to be enough key for the seam
to sit in (typically a gap under the tiles of at least a tile
thickness), and you want to arrange that once installed it is normally
under compression and not tension (hence bath full before application).
Finally the bead size wants to be big enough to ensure that the total
stretch required does not exceed 10 to 15% of the bead cross section

inch thick is used, it will leak.
Just my experience, and now i don't know anyone who relies on silicone
alone.

You do now, me!

--
Cheers,

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

'Twas I who typed the words about the inch thick bed because I've never
known a bath to seal properly with a flimsy silicone bead, your intentions
to use a 3mm bead have been tried and failed a million times before.

Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message

[...]

Oh I see, somebody's opinion not 'fact'. Would the same apply if this
person was using 12mm thick porcelain tiles I wonder!

If it's any help this is how I do it and I've NEVER had a leak yet,
touchwood!

Decide on a starting row (not directly sitting on the bath edge, but at
least 1/2 a tile above it depending on how the tiles will lay with regards
widows, skirtings, etc. after careful measuring), attach a batten and tile
up from this, preferably without the bath installed. Install the bath on
timber battens/frame supported at all 4 corners and the centre of the long
side with a vertical piece of timber between floor and batten. After
adjusting legs etc. get the bath 'rock solid'. Use silicone sealant around
the bath perimeter and into the gap between wall and bath edge, making sure
the level of the silicone is not higher that the bath top. Stick on the
last (bottom) row of tiles, cutting them a couple of mm or so 'short'.
After grouting up, make sure everything is clean using Meths or IPA
(alcohol). Apply silicone squeezing it well into the gap and finish off
with a suitable implement. I always use my middle fingers and get excellent
results but you may prefer to use another method.

I hope this makes sense, it does to me but I know what I am trying to say!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:29:03 -0000, "John" wrote:

snipped

[...]

That's pretty much how I was actually intending doing it John.....other than
that the bath is already in ...a couple of mm or so it is then ....thx

Stuart

bath tile grout grodenhiATgmailDOTcom Home Repair 1 May 27th 06 06:43 PM
Fitting bath. Tile first or fit bath first? Ian Maguire UK diy 8 February 27th 06 03:01 PM
Tiling behind bath? or tile down to bath? xxx UK diy 7 January 10th 06 02:41 AM
Tile Under Bath Tub Vince Home Repair 11 May 10th 05 12:49 PM
tile quadrants as bath seal nomit UK diy 2 July 17th 03 01:32 PM