Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Running a Light Switch Off The Socket Ring Main

I plan to install an external heat sensitive light (60W) to my parents
new mobile home as where they park their car is very dark and someone
will have an accident soon.

I plan to fit an internal switch with fuse (3A) then run cable (0.5mm
3A) through the wall to the outside light.

To feed the light switch I plan to take a spur from the socket ring
main using 2.5 mm cable. All connections throughout to be fully
earthed.

Also, all holes in walls to be fully sealed afterwards.

I did consider feeding the light switch from the lighting circuit but
it seems a lot of work feeding down from the loft when there is a
convenient socket next to where the switch could go.

Note that all walls in mobile homes are of the cavity type.

Are my plans advisable and do they conform to regulations?

I believe it's OK to take extra sockets off the ring main so an extra
3A light circuit, I would have thought, should be be no problem?????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"allan tracy" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

I'm not sure about regulations, but I did something very similar recently
and it works fine and I think meets regulations.

I used 1mm^2 T+E between the FCU and the light instead of 0.5mm (presumably
flex?). The terminals on an FCU might not grip small diameter standed
conductors very well.