Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bedding toilet pan with tile adhesive.

A friend of mine had his bathroom refurbed last year. He said that the
guy doing the job used tile adhesive to fix the toilet pan to the tiled
floor and that he didn't use screws at all.

I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor
with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL
fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to
the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor tile.
The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it without
screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice to use fix
a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?

TIA,

--
Paul Giverin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:
A friend of mine had his bathroom refurbed last year. He said that the
guy doing the job used tile adhesive to fix the toilet pan to the
tiled floor and that he didn't use screws at all.

I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor
with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL
fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to
the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor
tile. The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it
without screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice
to use fix a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?

TIA,

Bed it onto white silicone - you know it makes sense!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:54:06 +0000, Paul Giverin wrote:

A friend of mine had his bathroom refurbed last year. He said that the
guy doing the job used tile adhesive to fix the toilet pan to the tiled
floor and that he didn't use screws at all.

I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor
with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL
fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to
the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor tile.
The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it without
screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice to use fix
a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?

TIA,

And what will you do when you find you need to lift it for some reason ????
It has been suggested on here that you raise it on some matches ...squirt
silicone under it and remove the matches after the silicone has set and
presumably seal the edges with more silicone .I thinks thats what was posted
anyway ..Wasn't that long ago .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart
writes
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:54:06 +0000, Paul Giverin wrote:

A friend of mine had his bathroom refurbed last year. He said that the
guy doing the job used tile adhesive to fix the toilet pan to the tiled
floor and that he didn't use screws at all.

I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor
with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL
fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to
the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor tile.
The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it without
screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice to use fix
a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?

TIA,

And what will you do when you find you need to lift it for some reason ????

Well to be honest, I've never had to lift one before except when the
bathroom suite was being replaced.

It has been suggested on here that you raise it on some matches ...squirt
silicone under it and remove the matches after the silicone has set and
presumably seal the edges with more silicone .I thinks thats what was posted
anyway ..Wasn't that long ago .

I think that was also me asking the question a few months ago when I was
I was fitting our downstairs loo onto a wooden floor. In that case I did
use white silicon but the pan was screwed to the floor. In this case the
possibility of doing away with the need to use screws is appealing.

--
Paul Giverin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And what will you do when you find you need to lift it for some reason ????
It has been suggested on here that you raise it on some matches ...squirt
silicone under it and remove the matches after the silicone has set and
presumably seal the edges with more silicone .I thinks thats what was posted
anyway ..Wasn't that long ago .

Yes silicon is the way to go - and even if it's not spaced off, which
is something I didn't think of, I got mine off some time ago with a
thin bladed knife without any bother at all.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:
A friend of mine had his bathroom refurbed last year. He said that the
guy doing the job used tile adhesive to fix the toilet pan to the tiled
floor and that he didn't use screws at all.

I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor
with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL
fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to
the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor tile.
The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it without
screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice to use fix
a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?

TIA,

It will work, but silicone is better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

And what will you do when you find you need to lift it for some reason ????
It has been suggested on here that you raise it on some matches ...squirt
silicone under it and remove the matches after the silicone has set and
presumably seal the edges with more silicone .I thinks thats what was posted
anyway ..Wasn't that long ago .

Yes silicon is the way to go - and even if it's not spaced off, which
is something I didn't think of, I got mine off some time ago with a
thin bladed knife without any bother at all.

Monofilliment fishing line, string, wire, or anything else strong and
thin works well also to saw through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Paul Giverin
saying something like:

I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor
with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL
fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to
the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor tile.
The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it without
screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice to use fix
a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?

You could use PU foam in the same way - let it set and cut off the
excess. Pretty solid fixing, ime.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Paul Giverin wrote:
A friend of mine had his bathroom refurbed last year. He said that
the guy doing the job used tile adhesive to fix the toilet pan to the
tiled floor and that he didn't use screws at all.
I'm in the process of doing my bathroom and I've just laid the floor
with 10mm thick tiles. Because of the wooden floor, I used some BAL
fastflex adhesive and I'm thinking about using this to fix the pan to
the floor. I've done a test piece using a couple of bits of floor
tile. The adhesive seems to be really strong and I'd like to use it
without screws but I'd like some reassurance. Is it accepted practice
to use fix a toilet pan to a tiled floor in this way?
TIA,

It will work, but silicone is better.

Fair enough. Having listened to what everyone has said, I'll screw it
through the tiles into the wooden floor and use silicon as a bed.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

--
Paul Giverin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
Yes silicon is the way to go - and even if it's not spaced off, which
is something I didn't think of, I got mine off some time ago with a
thin bladed knife without any bother at all.

Monofilliment fishing line, string, wire, or anything else strong and
thin works well also to saw through.

I would imagine dental floss would work very well.
You could even wind it back on the spool afterwards
for reuse... ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Streaks in toilet pan frank spencer UK diy 15 April 8th 06 10:16 PM
Bedding down toilet pan Paul Giverin UK diy 13 April 3rd 06 03:46 PM
Adhesive for PVC shower pan liner PipeDown Home Repair 1 August 24th 05 02:13 AM
2 part toilet pan Zikki Malambo UK diy 0 December 10th 04 12:34 PM
2 piece toilet pan DIY Novice UK diy 1 December 9th 04 11:19 AM