Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reading lights

Hello all - wonder if anyone has any ideas on this one:

I want to add some reading lights to our bedroom. I really like the
sort of lights that aircraft have. i.e they produce a very small pool
of light just where you want it, and it doesn't disturb the person next
to you. I would like to replicate the same sort of thing at home so I
don't disturb the mrs when I'm reading in bed. I can only think of 3
ways you could sensibly get that sort of small divergence:
1) regular-ish spotlight with some sort of lens system.
2) MR16/MR11 type lamp with very small divergence (but I've never seen
15deg)
3) LEDs
Unfortunately, I've never actually come across any of the above in any
sort of ready-made solution. I guess I could get a 12v spotlight and
rig up some white LEDs or something, but it doesn't sound very elegant.
Has anyone seen anything ready-made?

Thanks for any help,

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Tournifreak" contains these words:

Has anyone seen anything ready-made?

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=2835

I used to have a MR16 lamp with a snoot made from an old beer can
painted black. Pool of bright light about a foot across. Turned out to
be unneccessary as the wife sleeps only wakes for earthquakes and
demolition explosions.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

Tournifreak wrote:
[...]

I did think about using a couple of feet of drainpipe in the loft to
direct spotlight beams, but this was vetoed by the boss.

I put a pair of spotlights at just over sitting-up-in-bed head height
at the centre of the bed. Actually, they're on a track, but we've never
found it necessary to move them. Since they point slightly outwards in
use, the spill over the other side of the bed is minimal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:

I want to add some reading lights to our bedroom. I really like the
sort of lights that aircraft have. i.e they produce a very small pool
of light just where you want it, and it doesn't disturb the person next
to you. I would like to replicate the same sort of thing at home so I
don't disturb the mrs when I'm reading in bed. I can only think of 3
ways you could sensibly get that sort of small divergence:
1) regular-ish spotlight with some sort of lens system.
2) MR16/MR11 type lamp with very small divergence (but I've never seen
15deg)
3) LEDs
Unfortunately, I've never actually come across any of the above in any
sort of ready-made solution. I guess I could get a 12v spotlight and
rig up some white LEDs or something, but it doesn't sound very elegant.
Has anyone seen anything ready-made?

Not quite what you describe, but I have something a bit like the tall
lamp shown he

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/...2/Product.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/yxhl5c

It works quite well since it has a clean cutoff of light at the edge, so
you can position it just where you need to illuminate a book but not
shine over the rest of the room.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak laid this down on his screen :
[...]

For caravans you can buy small, low wattage eyeball adjustable spot
lights, with a brass finish. These would seem to be what you need,
providing you are fitting them at arms reach above the bed. A 230/12v
transformer would be required.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Tournifreak wrote:
[...]

Google on "LED Gooseneck" wotq - lots of possibilities especially if
you're prepared to do a little adaptation.

or

4) An LED head torch. We use these: http://tinyurl.com/yyhuda
and they're great. You can also take them away with you on holiday.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Tournifreak wrote:
I want to add some reading lights to our bedroom. I really like the
sort of lights that aircraft have. i.e they produce a very small pool
of light just where you want it, and it doesn't disturb the person next
to you. I would like to replicate the same sort of thing at home so I
don't disturb the mrs when I'm reading in bed. I can only think of 3
ways you could sensibly get that sort of small divergence:
1) regular-ish spotlight with some sort of lens system.
2) MR16/MR11 type lamp with very small divergence (but I've never seen
15deg)
3) LEDs
Unfortunately, I've never actually come across any of the above in any
sort of ready-made solution. I guess I could get a 12v spotlight and
rig up some white LEDs or something, but it doesn't sound very elegant.
Has anyone seen anything ready-made?

Aircraft type lights of course come from above and slightly to the front
which might be difficult to do in a bedroom as the ceiling is probably too
far away to get a reasonably controlled beam without using fancy optics.

How about wall mounted anglepoise units?

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:

I want to add some reading lights to our bedroom. I really like the
sort of lights that aircraft have. i.e they produce a very small pool
of light just where you want it, and it doesn't disturb the person next
to you.

Not something I readily admit to 'in real life' but I've taken to
wearing an LED head-torch in bed for this reason (2.99 from Aldi) - does
the job nicely!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes

Not something I readily admit to 'in real life' but I've taken to
wearing an LED head-torch in bed for this reason (2.99 from Aldi) -
does the job nicely!

Seconded, I have an el cheap led head torch for reading in bed so as not
to wake her indoors, now if I could only cure the snoring (it puts me
off my book)

David

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
Google on "LED Gooseneck" wotq - lots of possibilities especially if
you're prepared to do a little adaptation.

Fairly widely available from audio suppliers for use over 'decks' in
discotheques.

There's this one which plugs into an XLR socket and is usually fed from a
12 volt supply. Don't think the price will appeal, though.

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...4_2008192.aspx

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Tournifreak wrote:
[...]

Well, with 3 suggestions of LED head-torches so far, I guess that might
be the way to go. But I was rather hoping for something that I could
admit to in public! (I think you're all very brave)
Best regards,
Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Owain wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
Google on "LED Gooseneck" wotq - lots of possibilities especially if
you're prepared to do a little adaptation.

Fairly widely available from audio suppliers for use over 'decks' in
discotheques.

There's this one which plugs into an XLR socket and is usually fed from a
12 volt supply. Don't think the price will appeal, though.

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...4_2008192.aspx

Yes, well that's Canford for you. I am yet to find anything that
Canford do that can't be bought elsewhere for *much* less! But everyone
in the industry seems to go there first!?
A mixing desk light was one thing I hadn't considered though. Thanks!
Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Tournifreak wrote:
There's this one which plugs into an XLR socket and is usually fed
from a 12 volt supply. Don't think the price will appeal, though.

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...4_2008192.aspx

Yes, well that's Canford for you. I am yet to find anything that
Canford do that can't be bought elsewhere for *much* less! But everyone
in the industry seems to go there first!?
A mixing desk light was one thing I hadn't considered though. Thanks!
Jon.

There used to be a goose neck car map reading light that all the boy
racers fitted. Dunno if it's still available, but wasn't that expensive.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised in
:

[...]

I've never seen a light that can adjust my eyeball.

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s
s l
f i l
S o n o
i u e n
g r s g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:
[...]

TLC do a 12 deg, 12v, 50W lamp part no LA M49

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Malcolm Race contains these words:

TLC do a 12 deg, 12v, 50W lamp part no LA M49

This bunch do a 10° 20W which may be more useful.
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=2835

--
Skipweasel
Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

[...]

How about
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...72162&id=22534 ?

(awaits comment about 3-in-a-bed)

--
Dave
ex Motorcycle Maintenance Workshop
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Malcolm Race contains these words:

TLC do a 12 deg, 12v, 50W lamp part no LA M49

This bunch do a 10° 20W which may be more useful.
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=2835

Thanks - that might just do it. I reckon 5 or 6 deg would be ideal
though. Certainly 20W would be preferable to 50. It will be on a
dimmer, but even so. 50W pointing on my shiny head would illuminate the
whole room!
Jon.

Screwfix in Reading Grumps UK diy 29 April 26th 06 12:07 AM
Recessed Lights to Pendant Lights Jim Jacobs Home Repair 3 April 15th 06 10:18 PM
Recommended Reading jon_banquer Metalworking 45 July 18th 05 05:29 PM
Reading specs TEX Electronics Repair 2 February 8th 05 12:00 PM
Reading this ng Matthew Woodworking 0 January 30th 05 06:55 PM