Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Airline headset sockets

Whilst standing in CPC today [waiting for my order to be repicked with
the items I wanted NOT the items that they thought I might like] I
glanced at the open pages of a catalogue. My old eyes were drawn to the
'Airline Headset Adapter plug'. Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money} ? is there any
other situation where these are used? Just seems a bit odd to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-01 20:57:18 +0000, "Grumpy owd man" said:

Whilst standing in CPC today [waiting for my order to be repicked with
the items I wanted NOT the items that they thought I might like] I
glanced at the open pages of a catalogue. My old eyes were drawn to the
'Airline Headset Adapter plug'. Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money} ? is there any
other situation where these are used? Just seems a bit odd to me.

The audio ones on every passenger aircraft that I've ever been on (and
that is a substantial number), where they are installed at all, are
standard 3.5mm jacks. I often take my Bose noise cancelling
headset with me on trips and that works fine with aircraft audio (to
the limits of aircraft audio).

I haven't known of any of the airlines I use charging for headsets
either, even in economy class, although perhaps the U.S. carriers and
perhaps the budget airlines do - I don't use either.

There are special plugs for laptop power on aircraft seats, however
these are generally available, eg.

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=APD10US

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 20:57:18 +0000 (UTC), "Grumpy owd man"
wrote:

Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money}

Quite the reverse - it's to make it unattractive to passengers to
nick the airliners headsets.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb crb is offline

Grumpy owd man wrote:
but, why should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money} ? is there any
other situation where these are used? Just seems a bit odd to me.

At the time of the change from acoustic-tube headsets to electronic
headsets for IFE, there was a thought in the industry that if standard
3.5mm stereo jacks were used, there would be a large pilferage of the
headsets for home use. A second reason for not opting for them was
that some thought that passengers might bring their own headsets, and
that this could present a safety hazard. Therefore, some airlines
adopted dual mono 3.5mm jacks.

I was responsible for the IFE design on BA aircraft at the time and
decided to go with standard stereo 3.5mm jacks from cost, simplicity,
reliability and space viewpoints. I analyzed the safety fears, and
decided that it was a non-issue.

CRB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money}

Quite the reverse - it's to make it unattractive to passengers to
nick the airliners headsets.

In most cases, one wouldn't want them, although I agree that people do
seem to steal them for some reason.

It's surprising what people do try to steal from aircraft - not long
ago I saw someone helping themselves to a safety instructions card from
the seat pocket. I had a word with them and it was put back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money}

Quite the reverse - it's to make it unattractive to passengers to
nick the airliners headsets.

IIUC, some carries like Virgin make a point of giving away a pack to
every passenger that includes a (virgin branded) headset to keep. Not a
bad idea when you think it through - cheap advertising since they must
cost pennies to make, and there are no worries about contaminated
headsets etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumpy owd man wrote:

Whilst standing in CPC today [waiting for my order to be repicked with
the items I wanted NOT the items that they thought I might like] I
glanced at the open pages of a catalogue. My old eyes were drawn to
the 'Airline Headset Adapter plug'. Never thought of it before but,
why should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the
airlines can sell the public an adapter and make more money} ? is
there any other situation where these are used? Just seems a bit odd
to me.

Some airlines seem to use separate right and left channel headphone sockets
at 1/2" spacing rather than a single stereo socket. I have some noise
cancelling headphones which have a standard 3.5mm stereo plug on the cable,
plus an adaptor to convert to the dual plug arrangement. When travelling by
air, I sometimes need to use the adapter - but often don't, depending on the
socket configuration.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money}

Quite the reverse - it's to make it unattractive to passengers to
nick the airliners headsets.

In most cases, one wouldn't want them, although I agree that people do
seem to steal them for some reason.

It's surprising what people do try to steal from aircraft - not long ago I
saw someone helping themselves to a safety instructions card from the seat
pocket. I had a word with them and it was put back.

I have a friend who collected them over about 20 years.
Recently he got fed up with this 'collection;' and sold it
on ebay for about 100 quid :-(.

He also stole spoons (when doing so was worthwhile).

Whilst he was doing all this, his travelling was paid for as
Marketing Manager for a large international electronics co.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
ilgate.org, Grumpy
owd man writes
Whilst standing in CPC today [waiting for my order to be repicked with
the items I wanted NOT the items that they thought I might like] I
glanced at the open pages of a catalogue. My old eyes were drawn to the
'Airline Headset Adapter plug'. Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money} ? is there any
other situation where these are used? Just seems a bit odd to me.

Did you whack someone over the head for me ?

No, they are different just so that they can charge you for the bits

AFAIK

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-12-01 20:57:18 +0000, "Grumpy owd man" said:

Whilst standing in CPC today [waiting for my order to be repicked with
the items I wanted NOT the items that they thought I might like] I
glanced at the open pages of a catalogue. My old eyes were drawn to the
'Airline Headset Adapter plug'. Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money} ? is there any
other situation where these are used? Just seems a bit odd to me.

The audio ones on every passenger aircraft that I've ever been on (and
that is a substantial number), where they are installed at all, are
standard 3.5mm jacks. I often take my Bose noise cancelling
headset with me on trips and that works fine with aircraft audio (to
the limits of aircraft audio).

He is, I presume, talking about ones with a two jack connector which
they sell on budget holiday airlines (as I discovered on a holiday to
Rhodes a couple of years ago)

I haven't known of any of the airlines I use charging for headsets
either, even in economy class, although perhaps the U.S. carriers and
perhaps the budget airlines do - I don't use either.

Out of touch with cheap package holidays Andy

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-01 23:57:53 +0000, Owain said:

tim(yet another new home) wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote
It's surprising what people do try to steal from aircraft - not long
ago I saw someone helping themselves to a safety instructions card from
the seat pocket. I had a word with them and it was put back.

I have a friend who collected them over about 20 years.
Recently he got fed up with this 'collection;' and sold it
on ebay for about 100 quid :-(.
He also stole spoons (when doing so was worthwhile).

As a child I used to collect sugar lumps (they came in different
wrappers according to the hotel chain, etc, before you all think I was
/really/ sad with a wardrobefull of Tate & Lyle)

I'll get my anorak....

Owain

I have to admit to occasionally asking hotels whether I can have one of
the little cards that are used to hang on hotel room doors to ask for
privacy or the room to be made up. They always say yes.

Mostly these are for the language but occasionally there are some quite
good ones.

From a recent stay, I have one that on one side says

"I'm busy" and then in small print underneath; " Actually I'd rather
be left alone, if that's alright with you"

On the other side it says " **** OFF! "

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-12-01 20:57:18 +0000, "Grumpy owd man" said:

[...]

Yes I am. Not something that really appeals when I spend about a
third of nights a year in hotels in different countries; plus with BA
Miles running well into seven figures and substantial numbers in two
other frequent flyer programs, there's plenty of scope there as well.

I also avoid the budget airlines for business purposes because the time
involved is too long - e.g. the airports used are not conveniently
located and there are long queues of people who travel once a year if
that and don't know how to complete the check-in and security
procedures quickly and efficiently. It's easy to need to add the best
part of a day to a trip to accommodate that.

That's not to say that I am particularly knocking budget airlines -
they fill a sector in the market where people are travelling
occasionally on leisure (so time doesn't matter so much) or happen to
be located and/or want to go to one of the airports served by them.

I'm a bit surprised that they have entertainment installed, although I
guess on a 4hr flight it's worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
[snip]
That's not to say that I am particularly knocking budget airlines
- they fill a sector in the market where people are travelling
occasionally on leisure (so time doesn't matter so much) or
happen to be located and/or want to go to one of the airports
served by them.

After watching the Easyjet programmes I doubt I'd ever
fly with them. Passenger-rules implacably enforced,
but no rules whatsoever for themselves.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's surprising what people do try to steal from aircraft - not long ago
saw someone helping themselves to a safety instructions card from the
seat pocket. I had a word with them and it was put back.

I have a friend who collected them over about 20 years.
Recently he got fed up with this 'collection;' and sold it
on ebay for about 100 quid :-(.
He also stole spoons (when doing so was worthwhile).

As a child I used to collect sugar lumps (they came in different wrappers
according to the hotel chain, etc, before you all think I was /really/ sad
with a wardrobefull of Tate & Lyle)

Plenty of people collect sick bags (unused, I believe). A fair number are
on Ebay.

rusty

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:20:55 UTC, "rusty" wrote:

As a child I used to collect sugar lumps (they came in different wrappers
according to the hotel chain, etc, before you all think I was /really/ sad
with a wardrobefull of Tate & Lyle)

Plenty of people collect sick bags (unused, I believe). A fair number are
on Ebay.

I have a nice (unused) sick bag that came with my copy of the "UNIX
haters Handbook"...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-02 10:37:38 +0000, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:20:55 UTC, "rusty" wrote:

As a child I used to collect sugar lumps (they came in different
wrappers according to the hotel chain, etc, before you all think I was
/really/ sad with a wardrobefull of Tate & Lyle)

Plenty of people collect sick bags (unused, I believe). A fair number
are on Ebay.

I have a nice (unused) sick bag that came with my copy of the "UNIX
haters Handbook"...!

Is this a Microsoft Press publication?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-02 10:37:38 +0000, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:20:55 UTC, "rusty" wrote:

As a child I used to collect sugar lumps (they came in different
wrappers according to the hotel chain, etc, before you all think I was
/really/ sad with a wardrobefull of Tate & Lyle)

Plenty of people collect sick bags (unused, I believe). A fair number
are on Ebay.

I have a nice (unused) sick bag that came with my copy of the "UNIX
haters Handbook"...!

Is this a Microsoft Press publication?

Not at all. It's actually a very useful book, and even I (a UNIX user
for 30 years) learned a few things! It's actually a digest of part of a
newsgroup/mailing list.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:43:15 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:26:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I have a nice (unused) sick bag that came with my copy of the "UNIX
haters Handbook"...!

Is this a Microsoft Press publication?

Not at all. It's actually a very useful book, and even I (a UNIX user
for 30 years) learned a few things! It's actually a digest of part of a
newsgroup/mailing list.

More generally this is an example of the difference (and animosity)
between the approaches of 'The Right Thing' versus 'Worse Is Better'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_Better is a good starting point ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money}

Quite the reverse - it's to make it unattractive to passengers to
nick the airliners headsets.

In most cases, one wouldn't want them, although I agree that people do
seem to steal them for some reason.

It's surprising what people do try to steal from aircraft - not long
ago I saw someone helping themselves to a safety instructions card from
the seat pocket. I had a word with them and it was put back.

People collect airline sick bags, you know.

So I understand. Considering the quality of airline food, I am
surprised that they are not used much. However, in all of my years of
traveling, I can only think of one instance of someone using one to
speak with Bertha O'Rourke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-02 12:15:12 +0000, John Stumbles said:

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:43:15 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:26:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I have a nice (unused) sick bag that came with my copy of the "UNIX
haters Handbook"...!

Is this a Microsoft Press publication?

Not at all. It's actually a very useful book, and even I (a UNIX user
for 30 years) learned a few things! It's actually a digest of part of a
newsgroup/mailing list.

More generally this is an example of the difference (and animosity)
between the approaches of 'The Right Thing' versus 'Worse Is Better'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_Better is a good starting point ...

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:15:12 UTC, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:43:15 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:26:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I have a nice (unused) sick bag that came with my copy of the "UNIX
haters Handbook"...!

Is this a Microsoft Press publication?

Not at all. It's actually a very useful book, and even I (a UNIX user
for 30 years) learned a few things! It's actually a digest of part of a
newsgroup/mailing list.

More generally this is an example of the difference (and animosity)
between the approaches of 'The Right Thing' versus 'Worse Is Better'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_Better is a good starting point ...

I don't use Wikipedia.....!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:33:54 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Link to it, also the cover (worth
seeing!) and some other stuff here...

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-02 12:56:27 +0000, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:33:54 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Link to it, also the cover (worth
seeing!) and some other stuff here...

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.html

Oh yes. Sort of like Edvard Munch....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:08:07 UTC, Huge wrote:

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

At least you won't be able to tear it up and throw it in the bin, which
was the best thing about the paper version.

It talks a lot of sense. And gives real information.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you whack someone over the head for me ?

No, they are different just so that they can charge you for the bits

AFAIK

Yep, whacked over the head with a large adjustable wheel nut wrench;
well, i say large adjustable wheel nut wrench but, upon closer
inspection
it was actually a Magic Tree car freshener...anther 'wrong
pick'...simple mistake to make I suppose

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:33:54 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Link to it, also the cover (worth
seeing!) and some other stuff here...

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.html

And here, for Google/ Microsoft users, is the correct link:
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...cellany.htmluk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Never thought of it before but, why
should aeroplanes need a different connector {other than so the airlines
can sell the public an adapter and make more money}

Quite the reverse - it's to make it unattractive to passengers to
nick the airliners headsets.

In most cases, one wouldn't want them, although I agree that people do
seem to steal them for some reason.

It's surprising what people do try to steal from aircraft - not long
ago I saw someone helping themselves to a safety instructions card from
the seat pocket. I had a word with them and it was put back.

20 years ago I remember that they used a different arrangement where the
connection was purely acoustic and the output was by two holes (approx
6mm diam) about 1/2" apart.

They did charge for the head sets, when I sat at the back, but not when I
sat at the front.

This was with PanAm and a 747-100.

Later flying stock seems to always use electricity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-02 19:05:30 +0000, "Weatherlawyer" said:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:33:54 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Link to it, also the cover (worth
seeing!) and some other stuff here...

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.html

And here, for Google/ Microsoft users, is the correct link:
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...cellany.htmluk

Well

it might have been had you not added "uk" to the end... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-02 20:26:03 +0000, Ed Sirett said:

20 years ago I remember that they used a different arrangement where the
connection was purely acoustic and the output was by two holes (approx
6mm diam) about 1/2" apart.
They did charge for the head sets, when I sat at the back, but not when I
sat at the front.
This was with PanAm and a 747-100.
Later flying stock seems to always use electricity.

Pan(demoni)Am. Those were the days.

Handing them out for free and collecting them at the end seems to be
the current thinking. Even Virgin seems to do that, and generally
they are into marketing handouts for the punters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Weatherlawyer writes

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:33:54 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Link to it, also the cover (worth
seeing!) and some other stuff here...

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.html

And here, for Google/ Microsoft users, is the correct link:
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.htmluk

Err ...

"Problem accessing a Computer Science Webpage

Webpage /teaching/06/modules/CO/8/06/material/unix-miscellany.htmluk
not found

The requested URL
/teaching/06/modules/CO/8/06/material/unix-miscellany.htmluk was not
found at this site.
"

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 00:17:09 UTC, raden wrote:

In message .com,
Weatherlawyer writes

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:33:54 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I just found a PDF of the Unix Hater's Handbook - that'll do for some
in-flight reading tomorrow.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Link to it, also the cover (worth
seeing!) and some other stuff here...

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.html

And here, for Google/ Microsoft users, is the correct link:
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/teaching/06...ial/unix-misce
llany.htmluk

Err ...

"Problem accessing a Computer Science Webpage

Webpage /teaching/06/modules/CO/8/06/material/unix-miscellany.htmluk
not found

The requested URL
/teaching/06/modules/CO/8/06/material/unix-miscellany.htmluk was not
found at this site.
"

Weatherlawyer apparently managed to add a spurious 'uk' on the end....

My original URL may have wrapped, but at least it was correct!