Cherokee-Ltd

Default JetsGo Scumbags (Canadian Discount Airline gone under)

What does this have to do with the newsgroup? Nothing, but I hope anyone
affected can get a jump on rebooking. If you're not directly affected you
probably know someone who is due to the March break travel rush.

JetsGo, a Canadian discount airline has ceased operations and recommends
customers to make their own arrangements.
National Post - http://tinyurl.com/6pywb

Gee, I wonder if this has anything to do with being cited this week for
"shortcomings in the operating methods".
Airwise News - http://tinyurl.com/5ndzg

Apart from the usual victims (my in-laws are now stranded in Vancouver), I
really feel sorry for the hundreds, if not thousands of families and
officers that congregated in Edmonton for the RCMP Memorial on Thursday.

No need to reply, but if you do please note that this message has been
cross-posted.

-Brian

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:
[...]

Interesting. I know that credit card holders in the US can
refuse to pay the bill because the banks can't pass through a
charge for a service they've never received. The banks then
have to go after the airline for whatever compensation they
can get. The same doesn't apply in Canada?

Eric Tonks

wrote in message
oups.com...

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:
[...]

Yes, the same applies here. When "Canada 3000" airline went under a few
years ago, credit card holders were the only people that got all their money
back, if you paid cash or cheque (check) you got about 10 cents on the
dollar -- that happened to my neighbour.

Highspeed

Yes and no. The owner of JetsGo did own Royal before selling it to Canada
3000, this was the cause of C3's demise. This is still in the courts as C3
is suing for up to $40 million for accounting irregularities. It is a long
sordid tail!

"mp" wrote in message
Yes, the same applies here. When "Canada 3000" airline went under a few
years ago, credit card holders were the only people that got all their
money
back, if you paid cash or cheque (check) you got about 10 cents on the
dollar -- that happened to my neighbour.

Didn't Jetsgo emerge from the ashes of the Canadian 3000 failure?

Robatoy

In article 1110560515.3f8eec00640dc63f33c6f3ca8eef6014@teran ews,
"Highspeed" wrote:

It is a long
sordid tail!

They'd be wagging war on those people, eh?

Robatoy

In article 1110568143.0b3ce9fd877f8f8a89f91a59b0930fde@teran ews,
"Highspeed" wrote:

Yeah I guess I should read before I send!

I just couldn't help myself. I'm sure that next time it will be at my
expense. G
Cherokee-Ltd

I thought it was a pun, intended
"...sordid tail" (tale)
"...wagging war" (waging)

-Brian

news:1110568143.0b3ce9fd877f8f8a89f91a59b0930fde@t eranews...

"Highspeed" wrote:

It is a long
sordid tail!

They'd be wagging war on those people, eh?

SteveBrady

I think Jetsgo bought some of the planes.
Apparently the CEO of Jetsgo was the CEO of Canada3000.
Get this....his business plan was to fly inefficient planes (fuel-wise) and
minimize maintenance (boom..what was that!).

After fuel prices went way up they started losing...something like 58million
in the last 6months.
Now, 58million is a LOT in Canada!

"mp" wrote in message
Yes, the same applies here. When "Canada 3000" airline went under a few
years ago, credit card holders were the only people that got all their
money
back, if you paid cash or cheque (check) you got about 10 cents on the
dollar -- that happened to my neighbour.

Didn't Jetsgo emerge from the ashes of the Canadian 3000 failure?

Snow

despite what CBC and CTV are reporting Michael Leblanc didn't create jetsgo
from the ashes of Canada 3000. He owned Royal over inflated the profit
margin on the books, then sold Royal Airlines to Canada 3000 for way more
then it was worth (hence the downfall of Canada 3000). Before Royal "Mikey
White" also owned City Express (operated out of Toronto Isl.) which also
went bankrupt and before that he owned another airline (great lakes air
maybe) that also went bankrupt.
When you operate your maintenance on a dollar store budget and charge fares
at dollar store rates you can't expect to be in business long.

Now it times for the Goverment to realize that we can't support this great
number of airlines. 3 national and international carriers is all our
population can sustain.

Snow...

"mp" wrote in message
Yes, the same applies here. When "Canada 3000" airline went under a few
years ago, credit card holders were the only people that got all their
money
back, if you paid cash or cheque (check) you got about 10 cents on the
dollar -- that happened to my neighbour.

Didn't Jetsgo emerge from the ashes of the Canadian 3000 failure?

Swingman

"SteveBrady" wrote in message

Apparently the CEO of Jetsgo was the CEO of Canada3000.
Get this....his business plan was to fly inefficient planes (fuel-wise)

and
minimize maintenance (boom..what was that!).

Harvard MBA, no doubt.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

LRod

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:22:29 -0500, "Snow"
wrote:

despite what CBC and CTV are reporting Michael Leblanc didn't create jetsgo
from the ashes of Canada 3000. He owned Royal over inflated the profit
margin on the books, then sold Royal Airlines to Canada 3000 for way more
then it was worth (hence the downfall of Canada 3000). Before Royal "Mikey
White" also owned City Express (operated out of Toronto Isl.) which also
went bankrupt and before that he owned another airline (great lakes air
maybe) that also went bankrupt.
When you operate your maintenance on a dollar store budget and charge fares
at dollar store rates you can't expect to be in business long.

Gee, he sounds just like our own Frank Lorenzo. Thank god the FAA or
someone found him unfit to run an airline. He sank Trans Texas, sank
Eastern, and very nearly sank Continental. Then he wanted to start
another one and the gummint said no.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
George

"LRod" wrote in message
Gee, he sounds just like our own Frank Lorenzo. Thank god the FAA or
someone found him unfit to run an airline. He sank Trans Texas, sank
Eastern, and very nearly sank Continental. Then he wanted to start
another one and the gummint said no.

--

Trans Texas??? I flew them in '67 into San Angelo. Taildragger. After
San Angelo, I guess it was appropriate.

Come and visit www.Jetsgone.net and tell us about your thoughts, ideas
and nightmares you've had.

SteveBrady

I had a nightmare last night that Kirsty Alley was a good actress and was
going to eat me!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Come and visit www.Jetsgone.net and tell us about your thoughts, ideas
and nightmares you've had.

Brian Barnson

"Snow" wrote in message
. ..
despite what CBC and CTV are reporting Michael Leblanc didn't create
jetsgo from the ashes of Canada 3000. He owned Royal over inflated the
profit margin on the books, then sold Royal Airlines to Canada 3000 for
way more then it was worth (hence the downfall of Canada 3000). Before
Royal "Mikey White" also owned City Express (operated out of Toronto Isl.)
which also went bankrupt and before that he owned another airline (great
lakes air maybe) that also went bankrupt.
When you operate your maintenance on a dollar store budget and charge
fares at dollar store rates you can't expect to be in business long.

Now it times for the Goverment to realize that we can't support this great
number of airlines. 3 national and international carriers is all our
population can sustain.

Snow...

I'm always amazed that the victims of these corporate thugs never visit
violence upon them. They will complain loud and long to travel agents,
credit card companies, lawyers, friends, etc, but nodody ever seems to
look the guy up and punch him in the nose. Is it timidity, or is the thin
veneer (wood content) of civilization thicker than we think? The concept
of Limited Liability is stretched pretty thin here.
Brian, in Cedar

Unquestionably Confused

SteveBrady wrote:
I had a nightmare last night that Kirsty Alley was a good actress and was
going to eat me!

That's not a nightmare, that's just a bad dream. A nightmare would be
dreaming that Kirsty Alley was a good actress and YOU had to eat HER!

Didja hear Jay Leno the other night. "Kirty Alley has pledge $100 to
(some charity) every time she slips off her diet. So far they've
received ten million dollars!"
SteveBrady

I think we typically go for the nearest person in the chain!
So, we go to the travel agent, cuz we purchased through them....etc...

I think some ppl get the impression that it's like one of those 'midnight
moves' where the company has dissipated in to the ether and there's no where
to go and yell.

"Brian Barnson" wrote in message

"Snow" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Dave Balderstone

In article , SteveBrady
steve.brady@(remove wrote:

I think we typically go for the nearest person in the chain!
So, we go to the travel agent, cuz we purchased through them....etc...

In this case, that's a good idea.

Travel agents in Canada have an insurance fund to cover this kind of
thing. If you booked a JetsGo flight through a travel agent you'll get
a refund. As well, those who booked through agents would have had a
number to call for assistance booking alternate flights when JetsGo
flipped the switch and had the best chance of getting a seat on another
flight.

A travel agent doesn't just go to the same internet site you can and
book your flight for a fee... They work for their money. I'll use my
agent even when I want to rent a vehicle for a week. She charges me $10
and saves me $100.

But people want the "best price" rather than the "best value". And
let's be serious about JetsGo... $1 flights? Across Canada? People
expected them to survive? When they started flying I knew they didn't
have a hope, and there was no way I would have booked with them. Hell,
they had more service complaints that Air Canada, and were less than
1/3 the size of AC. Now THAT'S an accomplishment!

Michael Daly

On 12-Mar-2005, "Brian Barnson" wrote:

The concept
of Limited Liability is stretched pretty thin here.

What limited liability? As CEO, he is not at arm's length
and is _fully_ liable. The entire board of directors should
be stripped of every penny they ever hoped to have.

Mike
Snow

Travel agents in Canada have an insurance fund to cover this kind of
thing. If you booked a JetsGo flight through a travel agent you'll get
a refund. As well, those who booked through agents would have had a
number to call for assistance booking alternate flights when JetsGo
flipped the switch and had the best chance of getting a seat on another
flight.

Depends on the province you live in, I beleive BC, ONT, QUE all have these
funds.

But people want the "best price" rather than the "best value". And
let's be serious about JetsGo... $1 flights? Across Canada?

It cost more then $1 to put your sorry a$$ in that seat. Even WestJet is
under cutting many of its seats.

Lets hope the Goverment will now let AC take the gloves off.. time to
change some of these rules and level the playing field. Either force the
others to fly to buttf%ck Sask and Ont. if they want to fly the money making
triangles.

I for one am glad to see jetsgo turn to jestgone, I feel for the employees
and their families but as they said to me and many of my co-workers a few
short months ago "too bad, if your CEO was smarter you would be smiling to"
reference to their logo.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Snow
wrote:

Lets hope the Goverment will now let AC take the gloves off.. time to
change some of these rules and level the playing field. Either force the
others to fly to buttf%ck Sask and Ont.

Interesting that AC has reduced their flights in Sask. WestJet has a
solid business model and is successful. AC can't survive without the
restrictive policies the feds have in place in Canada.

Air travel policy in Canada is a joke...

Snow

Yes but as soon as westjet starts loosing money on these routes they pack up
and pull out, just ask the fine people of Timmins, Hamilton and other
smaller eastcoast cities. On a competitive priced route westjet just pulls
out if they loose money. The Gov't has handcuffed AC by 1) forcing it to
service many money loosing cities in Canada and 2) by not allowing it to
price its fares so it can compete on them, if westjet charges $395.00 for a
one way flight to Montreal from Toronto AC can't go and price its one-way
fares within 20% of them. Same goes on flights from Winnipeg to Saskatoon
AC is forced by the Gov't to price higher. Transat and Skyservice are
allowed to price closer to WJ only because neither one has a large domestic
market outside the "triangles".

Gov't should stop trying to regulate an industry they deregulated over a
decade ago. Why do you think the Gov't forced AC to buy Cail? it was their
final bail-out.

Snow...

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Snow
wrote:

Lets hope the Goverment will now let AC take the gloves off.. time to
change some of these rules and level the playing field. Either force the
others to fly to buttf%ck Sask and Ont.

Interesting that AC has reduced their flights in Sask. WestJet has a
solid business model and is successful. AC can't survive without the
restrictive policies the feds have in place in Canada.

Air travel policy in Canada is a joke...

--
"The thing about saying the wrong words is that A, I don't notice it, and
B,

SteveBrady

Jetsgo was trying to hard to get in to the market that they undersold
themselves. But at the same time they cut in to Westjets bottom line. I
believe this was the first quarter/year that they lost $$; So westjets glad
to see them go.

The issue at hamilton was they didn't have enough room to be a huge ppl
carrier so they wanted to move in to the new terminal at Pearson. Well,
funny thing....the airport authority committe has a bunch of AirCan ppl on
it, so they limited westjet to the furthest corners of the terminals and
charged them handsomely.
Westjet wasn't about to pay fees at two terminals....so pulled out!

wrote:

Lets hope the Goverment will now let AC take the gloves off.. time to
change some of these rules and level the playing field. Either force
the
others to fly to buttf%ck Sask and Ont.

Interesting that AC has reduced their flights in Sask. WestJet has a
solid business model and is successful. AC can't survive without the
restrictive policies the feds have in place in Canada.

Air travel policy in Canada is a joke...

--
"The thing about saying the wrong words is that A, I don't notice it, and
B,

Dave Balderstone

In article , Snow
wrote:

Yes but as soon as westjet starts loosing money on these routes they pack up
and pull out

As they should. I sure as hell would. If nobody in Timmins wants my
services, why would I bleed money there?

When the feds take the cuffs off AC they'll be pulling out of
money-losing routes faster than you can say "lying Liberal scumbag
patronage".

Same goes on flights from Winnipeg to Saskatoon
AC is forced by the Gov't to price higher.

Fascinating. I actually am going to make this trip sometime in early
April, so I picked April 10 there, April 12 back (It's a press check,
so I don't know the actual dates yet) and just went to the two
airlines' web sites.

I can fly return Stoon to Winnipeg for $144 +$139 Air Canada Tango.
$283 return.

Westjet quotes me $164 +$139 return. Gee, $20 more.

Yep, Air Canada is sure being handcuffed by the gummit, they is.

Forced to charge less than their competition. Tough times all round.
Can't imagine how they survive.

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article .ca, Dave
Balderstone wrote:

JetsGo flipped the switch

Shouldn't that be JetsNoGo?

Gerry
Eric Tonks

SkyService, now there is a joke. Flew them once and never again. Microscopic
seats, with wide aisles. The wide aisles are because they turn the entire
airplane into a duty free shop, the stews are all salesmen and saleswomen,
they even sell you the earphones so that you can watch the movie. These are
the same free earphones that AirCanada toss in the garbage when you are
through with them. If you weigh more than 99 pounds, you won't fit the
seats. If you are taller than 5'6" your legs won't
fit between your seat and the one in front.

Dispite all the compaints about AirCanada it is the best airline that I have
traveled on in the past few years, probably United is next.

wrote:

Lets hope the Goverment will now let AC take the gloves off.. time to
change some of these rules and level the playing field. Either force

the
others to fly to buttf%ck Sask and Ont.

Interesting that AC has reduced their flights in Sask. WestJet has a
solid business model and is successful. AC can't survive without the
restrictive policies the feds have in place in Canada.

Air travel policy in Canada is a joke...

--
"The thing about saying the wrong words is that A, I don't notice it,

and
B,

Snow

wrote:

Yes but as soon as westjet starts loosing money on these routes they pack
up
and pull out

As they should. I sure as hell would. If nobody in Timmins wants my
services, why would I bleed money there?

What if the Gov't said you had to service it??? like AC has too.

When the feds take the cuffs off AC they'll be pulling out of
money-losing routes faster than you can say "lying Liberal scumbag
patronage".

Hence the reason for Jazz getting more jets to fly more domestic routes,
don't forget AC owns many routes at least twice already.

Same goes on flights from Winnipeg to Saskatoon
AC is forced by the Gov't to price higher.

Fascinating. I actually am going to make this trip sometime in early
April, so I picked April 10 there, April 12 back (It's a press check,
so I don't know the actual dates yet) and just went to the two
airlines' web sites.

I can fly return Stoon to Winnipeg for $144 +$139 Air Canada Tango.
$283 return.

Thats not on Tango..they dont exsist anymore, the pricing is still ineffect
until fall 2005 (or so), and your flying on an RJ not a nice cushy 737..

Westjet quotes me $164 +$139 return. Gee, $20 more.

Try again.. I see both ways as $139 .. the $164 is for a more preferd
flight departure time.
I can do the same AC flight costs $184 and $179 each way same dates just
better times to travel.

YYZ to YUL june 13 to 20 1 adult economy seat Tango (who's pricing ends
soon) $148 @ 700 am. Return $148 @ 700 am.
Same days a time for WJ $88 to and $98 from.

Snow...

Michael Daly

On 12-Mar-2005, "Snow" wrote:

Travel agents in Canada have an insurance fund to cover this kind of
thing.

Depends on the province you live in, I beleive BC, ONT, QUE all have these
funds.

My understanding is that those insurance policies are in case the travel
agent goes under, not the companies they book.

Mike

Dave Balderstone

In article , Snow
wrote:

What if the Gov't said you had to service it??? like AC has too.

I'm not sure why you have such a bug up your ass about Air Canada...
They've received billions in taxpayers dollars to keep their sorry
asses flying, guess they have some obligation as a result.

Personally, I'd do the happy dance if Air Canada went tits up tomorrow.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Snow
wrote:

the $164 is for a more preferd
flight departure time.

I was using the same departure time for both airlines.

Snow

I'm not sure why you have such a bug up your ass about Air Canada...
They've received billions in taxpayers dollars to keep their sorry
asses flying, guess they have some obligation as a result.

When was this!! IIRC the employees gave up billions in just wages

Snow...

Snow

" the $164 is for a more preferd
flight departure time.

I was using the same departure time for both airlines.

So was I.. sorry too say the figures you used were for different times

Snow

SteveBrady

Air Canada was profitable before they bought over...dam, don't remember
their name. But it was canada's international flyer. They bought them with
billions of debt...and never recovered from it.

The canadian air biz'ness'es whine cuz the US subsidizes their air industry
( to a point) and we don't in Canada....but dam if we don't give them 'bail
out' money!
Wait until the domestic airspaces open up and we get the american liners up
here! AC will be out of business right away!

wrote:

What if the Gov't said you had to service it??? like AC has too.

I'm not sure why you have such a bug up your ass about Air Canada...
They've received billions in taxpayers dollars to keep their sorry
asses flying, guess they have some obligation as a result.

Personally, I'd do the happy dance if Air Canada went tits up tomorrow.

--
"The thing about saying the wrong words is that A, I don't notice it, and
B,

Snow

Air Canada was profitable before they bought over...dam, don't remember
their name. But it was canada's international flyer. They bought them
with billions of debt...and never recovered from it.

Forced buy out thanks to the Liberals

The canadian air biz'ness'es whine cuz the US subsidizes their air
industry ( to a point) and we don't in Canada....but dam if we don't give
them 'bail out' money!

Aside from CAIL getting billions and billions in bail out money no other
airline has, don't even think jetsgo will, but it was Michel LeBlanc;s
fourth or fifth airline he has put under.

Wait until the domestic airspaces open up and we get the american liners
up here! AC will be out of business right away!

Never happen, cause all the other airlines would be out as well. Besides
'mericans don't want to allow Canadian carriers flying from US city to US
city carrying passengers.

Snow...

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article .ca, Dave
Balderstone wrote:

They've received billions in taxpayers dollars to keep their sorry
asses flying

Typical Canadian-style *corporate* *welfare* bums just like Bombardier
and all the other "free" enterprise losers with their hands out. I
don't even want to get started on all the French-Canadian
advertising-company/Liberal thieves.

If a down-on-his-luck guy takes government money (usually a few hundred
bucks), everybody calls him a bum. If a corporation takes money
(usually in the millions) from the same government, their taxpaying
stockholders are delighted. They don't see the sameness of those
handouts and that it ALL comes from the same pockets.

Gerry rant mode off
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , SteveBrady
steve.brady@(remove wrote:

Air Canada was profitable before they bought over...dam, don't remember
their name. But it was canada's international flyer. They bought them with
billions of debt...and never recovered from it.

Don't forget that, even with the debts, it gave AC a monopoly and
Milton and his fellow arseholes still couldn't make money. How do
losers like him keep their jobs? Wasn't he actually named the Financial
Post's Man-of-the-Year a while back? Now that's funny!

Gerry
SteveBrady

Canadian airways couldn't survive in the US anyhow. The dollar is the
disadvantage and I'm sure they'd but some 'international carrier' taxes on
it....
Who knows....ticket prices are going up now anyhow!

"Snow" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

mp

Wait until the domestic airspaces open up and we get the american liners
up here! AC will be out of business right away!

Never happen, cause all the other airlines would be out as well. Besides
'mericans don't want to allow Canadian carriers flying from US city to US
city carrying passengers.

Most international carrier agreements are bilateral in nature. If US
carriers get access to certain routes in Canada, then Canadian carriers (if
there are any left) will have access to similar US routes.