Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default safe with key drop

Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:37:48 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

Christian.

Whats the one social services use for old people's keys?

AGGGH google's broken.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

the first one there just redirects me to a slightly different google
page

www.thesafeshop.co.uk/Categories/key_security/
thats the url

pff. not my day
The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for
this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing
to accept
cookies.
--
Free Christmas Cards
http://www.christmasfreebies.co.uk/christmas-cards.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

Christian.

I'll try again
http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/keyguard.html
Hows that?
--
Free Christmas Cards
http://www.christmasfreebies.co.uk/christmas-cards.htm
What I want for Christmas
http://www.christmasfreebies.co.uk/dear-boyfriend.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

For small cheap digital safes, I'd consider adding my own hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Christian McArdle wrote:
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

ever thought of just not leaving your keys in plain view ?

inexpensive, efective, reliable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

Christian.

Whats the one social services use for old people's keys?

The keys are attached to the keypad. They're nothing like what CMcA ia
asking for.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs
to be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

Can't you use a chute through the wall into somewhere more spacious?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access?
I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

ever thought of just not leaving your keys in plain view ?

inexpensive, efective, reliable.

That's about as secure as my grandmother's foolproof plan to foil burglars
which was: you put your savings in a handbag and hang it from a hanger it in
the wardrobe, (and now the clever bit to fool the burglar) you hide the bag
by hanging a coat on the hanger! My grandma was a crime fighting genius!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

HLAH wrote:
"." wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access?
I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

ever thought of just not leaving your keys in plain view ?

inexpensive, efective, reliable.

That's about as secure as my grandmother's foolproof plan to foil burglars
which was: you put your savings in a handbag and hang it from a hanger it in
the wardrobe, (and now the clever bit to fool the burglar) you hide the bag
by hanging a coat on the hanger! My grandma was a crime fighting genius!

did the savings ever get stolen ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote in message
HLAH wrote:
"." wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad
access?
I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through
the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to
nick.

ever thought of just not leaving your keys in plain view ?

inexpensive, efective, reliable.

That's about as secure as my grandmother's foolproof plan to foil
burglars
which was: you put your savings in a handbag and hang it from a hanger it
in
the wardrobe, (and now the clever bit to fool the burglar) you hide the
bag
by hanging a coat on the hanger! My grandma was a crime fighting genius!

did the savings ever get stolen ?

No it was remarkably effective - the house was not burgled once!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

HLAH wrote:
"." wrote in message
HLAH wrote:
"." wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

so, pretty secure then ?

KISS ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote in message
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access?

I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to

be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

Christian.

Ebay ?
http://tinyurl.com/yentgl

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access?
I'm looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through
the door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to
nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to
be very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted
in a narrow passageway.

Christian.

We just have a cardboard box on the stairs. It protects the keys from being
"fished" through the letterbox and also protects you because, lets face it,
when some thug is stood over you with a baseball bat threatening to stove
your head in unless you hand over your car keys, it's all too easy to forget
the combination to a safe and end up in hospital.

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I can find small cheap digital safes and I can find safes with deposit
chutes. I can't find the features together. The hole has to be big enough
for a big bunch of keys, not just a little slot. The safe itself needs to be
very small (particularly shallow), particularly as it will be mounted in a
narrow passageway.

Christian.

anything you can drop a bunch of keys into will be easy to fish them
out of. Unless you have some cunning plan involving modding the safe in
some complex way.

Proper key safes are surely better than digital ones, and small ones
are not expensive. Even these, while better than digitals, still have
zero insraunce rating - for fair reason.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

Proper key safes have a chicane / maze type thing that deflects the
keys as they go down to make fishing harder, and a magnet on a string
would stick to the first deflector (but hey what about an electro
magnet that isn't turned on until resting on the keys !)

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:14:35 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Proper key safes have a chicane / maze type thing that deflects the
keys as they go down to make fishing harder, and a magnet on a string
would stick to the first deflector (but hey what about an electro
magnet that isn't turned on until resting on the keys !)

The key might be brass... :-(

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

yes, and those are simple to put together. Either way I think if those
keys were ever got you'd be in a difficult position re house insurance,
so I have to wonder whether its worth that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

anything you can drop a bunch of keys into will be easy to fish them
out of. Unless you have some cunning plan involving modding the safe in
some complex way.

I imagine a proper chute is designed to reduce the chance of that. The chute
is absolutely essential. There is no way whatsoever that I'm going to bother
tapping in a code to deposit my keys. I would just leave them on the side as
usual.

I need something simple and lazy. On the other hand, if I need my keys,
tapping in a code doesn't seem so onerous!

Proper key safes are surely better than digital ones,

It has to be digital, as the whole point of it is that you don't have your
keys. They're in the safe!

Even these, while better than digitals, still have zero insraunce rating -
for fair reason.

The safe is competing with the alternative, which is putting the keys on the
nearest surface. That has an even lower insurance rating.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/keyguard.html
Hows that?

Unfortunately, it has no deposit chute. This is essential in terms of me
actually using the thing. When I'm struggling through the door carrying the
baby and shopping, I can dump my keys into a hole. I'm certainly not going
to bother typing in a code.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/keyguard.html
Hows that?

Unfortunately, it has no deposit chute. This is essential in terms of me
actually using the thing. When I'm struggling through the door carrying the
baby and shopping, I can dump my keys into a hole. I'm certainly not going
to bother typing in a code.

What about the simple solution - leave the safe door open if no keys in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
NT:

Proper key safes are surely better than digital ones,

It has to be digital, as the whole point of it is that you don't have your
keys. They're in the safe!

so you cant even get your angle grinder to open the safe. So you need
to ensure another no-security point of entry. That or you have more
failth in cheap electronics than I do.

Even these, while better than digitals, still have zero insraunce rating -
for fair reason.

The safe is competing with the alternative, which is putting the keys on the
nearest surface. That has an even lower insurance rating.

heh. Well as long as you dont have anything valuable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It has to be digital, as the whole point of it is that you don't have
your
keys. They're in the safe!

so you cant even get your angle grinder to open the safe. So you need
to ensure another no-security point of entry. That or you have more
failth in cheap electronics than I do.

There is normally a manual key override. The manual key can be hidden
somewhere safe, but won't be available for day to day use.

The safe is competing with the alternative, which is putting the keys on
the
nearest surface. That has an even lower insurance rating.

heh. Well as long as you dont have anything valuable.

I just want to take "reasonable care" so the car insurance pays out. I may
get a separate higher security fire safe for documents.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about a "pole proof" box on the back of your door, behind letter
box to catch the post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"xscope" wrote in message
oups.com...
How about a "pole proof" box

Racist ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

I just want to take "reasonable care" so the car insurance pays out. I may
get a separate higher security fire safe for documents.

Fire safes arent security safes, but theyre made to look like them to
increase sales. If youve got a metal filing cabinet its simple to make
a basic fire safe yourself.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

wrote:

Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I have read the replies with interest (since they are answering your question)
but don't really see a problem - don't your trousers have pockets?
My keys stay in the pair of trouser/jeans I am wearing at the time and when
changing them I am not trying to carry shopping/baby etc.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:36:35 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

What about the simple solution - leave the safe door open if no keys in?

If you mounted the safe on its side so the door dropped down when open you
could easily leave it open when empty and just slam it shut when
you'd slung your keys in there.

It's not exactly what you were after, and of course you'd need his & hers
safes, but it's an off-the-shelf solution.

The DIY solution would be to make up (or get a metalworker to make) a
waterwheel/turnpike type arrangement on the top of a safe (with a hole cut
in its roof) for you to drop your keys in but prevent Burglar Bill from
fishing them out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know of a small safe with a key drop hole and keypad access? I'm
looking for something to dump the keys into easily as we come through the
door, without presenting easy access to scrotes looking for cars to nick.

I have read the replies with interest (since they are answering your question)
but don't really see a problem - don't your trousers have pockets?
My keys stay in the pair of trouser/jeans I am wearing at the time and when
changing them I am not trying to carry shopping/baby etc.

Or just dump the keys further into the house?

Granted, I don't tend to be carrying a baby but if I've got shopping
it's normally going to the kitchen so I can drop keys on the sideboard.

Be a bloody good burglar can fish them out from there through the
letter box, and if someone breaks in I'm not convinced I want to be
asked where my keys are.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fire safes arent security safes, but theyre made to look like them to
increase sales. If youve got a metal filing cabinet its simple to make
a basic fire safe yourself.

I'm worried about fire AND security. There's no problem finding a unit that
does both.

Obviously, fire safes with chutes are harder to come by. ;-)

Christian.

Two Saturns, one key mm Home Repair 2 July 12th 06 09:03 AM
Two Saturns, one key sbb78247 Home Repair 2 July 11th 06 05:54 PM
Two Saturns, one key Stormin Mormon Home Repair 0 July 11th 06 02:48 AM
Two Saturns, one key Big Al Home Repair 0 July 11th 06 02:14 AM
any value or use in a key cutter? t Metalworking 14 October 6th 05 03:46 PM