Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cupro-fit or Speedfit?

Hi,

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

None. Conex compression joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

They are both fine. Cuprofit look nicer, so use them if they are on
show. Speedfit are a little easier to make/demount.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

They are both fine.

They are not. Push fit is problematic. Best use proper fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

They are both fine.

They are not. Push fit is problematic.

Indeed it is for the bodger. It requires a modicum of skill to prepare the
pipe end correctly. Which you apparently lack - as many readers of this
group will remember well. Known throughout newsnet as 'The dribble hacksaw
incident' and a source of much merriment where the high and mighty gather.

Best use proper fittings.

That would be end feed capillary when using copper. Again, requires
rudimentary skills. But the neatest, best performing and most economical
joint where disassembly isn't required.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

no personal experience of Cuprofit. If using the previous Speedfit make
sure you fit the collet clips for security and make sure there cannot be any
bending force on the joint. Potentially a problem when connecting to a
rigid copper pipe. Not used them but I assume the current locking endcaps
are better and are a response to a perceived or real design weakness.
Personally I would use Hep, or even better the "old style Hep" with the
stainless steel grab rings. Never had CH leak problem using a mix of copper
pipe, poly pipe and an assortment of "old " and "new" Hep.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've just fitted a new central heating system using mainly speedfit. Had
1 failure where the rubber O ring seal inside a T fitting moved out of
it's slot, but this was probably due to me not feeding the pipe end in
squarely due to the poor access. Stripped fitting down re-seated O ring,
re-filled and OK. I would use speedfit again.
Gary

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

They are both fine.

They are not. Push fit is problematic.

Indeed

Will you please eff off as you a complete idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals
with more experience of these matters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know that push fit plumbing systems are disliked by some people
but Ive not had any issues so far. I didnt want to start a war just
some useage advice.

Sounds like either type will be ok and caveat on speedfit is to use
collet clips to deter any tamperings from kids etc.

I am always very careful and use wheel cutters, new pipe etc.

Surely pushfit cant be that bad. Ive just bought a shower pump
that had speedfit built in and most new builds seem to use it
throughout from the riser upwards.

Talking to a chap from speedfit technical a while back, I quizzed
him about failures etc. He mentioned that the issue is mainly
with professionals rushing the job and not taking due care and
attention.

Years ago I used to use compression fittings and they can
be a pain, sometimes weeping, boss paste etc. Then trying to do
soldered joints without dry pipes etc.

I have never used cuprofit but it looks tamper proof and
a bit neater maybe. Speedfit on the other hand always seems
to create a very secure joint.

Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...

I know that push fit plumbing systems are disliked by some people
but Ive not had any issues so far.

The are highly problematic. Many professionals will just not use them. They
use plastic pipe but with Conex compression joints.

Surely pushfit cant be that bad.
Ive just bought a shower pump
that had speedfit built in and most
new builds seem to use it
throughout from the riser upwards.

New builds use it so the Pikeys don't steal the copper, and the skill level
is low so inexperienced men can fit it and one qualified man passes it.

Talking to a chap from speedfit technical a while back, I quizzed
him about failures etc. He mentioned that the issue is mainly
with professionals rushing the job and not taking due care and
attention.

He would say that. Many professionals have had ceilings drop in on them
causing 20Ks worth of damage.

Years ago I used to use compression
fittings and they can
be a pain, sometimes weeping, boss
paste etc. Then trying to do
soldered joints without dry pipes etc.

"Good" quality compresison joints don't leak and are easy to fit using the
right spanners.

I have never used cuprofit but it looks tamper proof and
a bit neater maybe. Speedfit on the other hand always seems
to create a very secure joint.

Work some more with it and see what you think. I know no professional that
fits plastic on sites that would have it in his house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
That would be end feed capillary when using copper. Again, requires
rudimentary skills. But the neatest, best performing and most economical
joint where disassembly isn't required.

Probably still economical even if very occasional disassembly is
required. What's the cost multiple of end feed capillary vs proprietory?

Very, very small.

Looking at some prices on toolstation, I see that typically, you'll get
8-18 end feed things, for the cost of one push-fit.

Of course, you can almost always safely reuse end-feed, by simply
warming it up, tapping out the old solder, and pulling a damp cotton rag
through while hot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
That would be end feed capillary when using copper. Again, requires
rudimentary skills. But the neatest, best performing and most
economical joint where disassembly isn't required.

Probably still economical even if very occasional disassembly is
required. What's the cost multiple of end feed capillary vs proprietory?

If you mean the cost differential between end feed and copper push fit -
quite considerable over an installation.

Screwfix prices for 100 15mm couplers are per unit:-

end feed 0.11 quid
push fit 1.15 quid

So over 10 times the cost. For a one off job this won't matter much as
it's likely quicker, but can matter over an entire installation. Depending
on how quick you are at soldering, and how you value your time. I just
prefer the security of soldered joints as well as the look. Other thing
which may matter is they give a near perfect electrical connection.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
no personal experience of Cuprofit. If using the previous Speedfit
make sure you fit the collet clips for security and make sure there
cannot be any bending force on the joint. Potentially a problem when
connecting to a rigid copper pipe. Not used them but I assume the
current locking endcaps are better and are a response to a perceived
or real design weakness. Personally I would use Hep, or even better
the "old style Hep" with the stainless steel grab rings. Never had
CH leak problem using a mix of copper pipe, poly pipe and an
assortment of "old " and "new" Hep.

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals
with more experience of these matters.

The self professed pro like you who cuts plastic pipe with a hacksaw and
floods the entire street?

--
*Beware - animal lover - brakes for pussy*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I second Garys views. In my experience Speedfit is fine if you assemble
it carefully - I had a couple of o-rings move out of place the first time I
used it, but have the nack now.

My local Plumb Centre claim to sell approx 40% copper to 60% plastic pipe
and fittings, so it can't be that bad!

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
no personal experience of Cuprofit. If using the previous Speedfit
make sure you fit the collet clips for security and make sure there
cannot be any bending force on the joint. Potentially a problem when
connecting to a rigid copper pipe. Not used them but I assume the
current locking endcaps are better and are a response to a perceived
or real design weakness. Personally I would use Hep, or even better
the "old style Hep" with the stainless steel grab rings. Never had
CH leak problem using a mix of copper pipe, poly pipe and an
assortment of "old " and "new" Hep.

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals
with more experience of these matters.

The

Will you lease eff off as you a total plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals
with more experience of these matters.

That is why we always ignore you.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Will you lease eff off as you a total plantpot.

At least we have your plumbing to water it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:

Hi,

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

Thanks,
Matthew

Cuprofit is made by Conex, quality therefore good.
Cuprofit has some flexibility in the joint which allows the pipe to be
slightly misalligned and still works.
Much smaller in diameter hence easy to put two fittings side by side.
Electical connectivity is maintained.
Pull out strength superb, you need the disaasemble tool if you want to
dismount, only a couple of quid.
Valves etc easy to mount and can be rotated once in place to face the
correct direction.
Copper lasts, plastic as we have seen on other posts has had some
problems.
Sold at B&Q under the Plumbeasy brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Will you please eff off as you a total plantpot.

At least we have your plumbing to water it.

Yes he does need peeing on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals
with more experience of these matters.

That is why we always ignore you.

You are obviously are the uk.d-i-y.Lunatic Association (affiliated)
spokesman .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

That is why we always ignore you.

You are obviously are the uk.d-i-y.Lunatic Association (affiliated)
spokesman .

Can't be - I hardly ever speak for you.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

That is why we always ignore you.

You are obviously are the uk.d-i-y.Lunatic Association (affiliated)
spokesman .

Can't be -

Confirmed you are. You help arrange the char-banc trips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals
with more experience of these matters.

That'll rule out anything you say then, won't it?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals
with more experience of these matters.

That'll rule out anything you say then, won't it?

My Arse Tomlinson!!! The wit comes forth is dollops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 01:46:01 -0800, dave northern lights wrote:

Matthew wrote:

Hi,

Quick question.
I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and
secodnary side.
Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the
cold weather.
Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit
connectors.
Which would you chaps recommend?

Thanks,
Matthew

Cuprofit is made by Conex, quality therefore good.
Cuprofit has some flexibility in the joint which allows the pipe to be
slightly misalligned and still works.
Much smaller in diameter hence easy to put two fittings side by side.
Electical connectivity is maintained.
Pull out strength superb, you need the disaasemble tool if you want to
dismount, only a couple of quid.

59p.

But unless the pipe is precleaned and greased there's a fair chance that
even the dismount tool won't work.

Valves etc easy to mount and can be rotated once in place to face the
correct direction.
Copper lasts, plastic as we have seen on other posts has had some
problems.
Sold at B&Q under the Plumbeasy brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:

[...]

Have to say that it has worked every time I wanted to disconect the
pipes. I spoke to Conex before using the system, very helpfull team,
they said just make sure the end of the pipe is burr free ie use a pipe
slice, and give it a rub with sand paper, wet the end with some water
or fairly liquid and it slides on easy if you are working in a tight
space.

Have to remove a stetch of pipes a year later, the tool worked a treat,
used the fittings again no leaks.

More expensive than end feed but a great system for a DIY self builder
IMHO.

Valves etc easy to mount and can be rotated once in place to face the
correct direction.
Copper lasts, plastic as we have seen on other posts has had some
problems.
Sold at B&Q under the Plumbeasy brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave northern lights" wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew wrote:

[...]

If you need to disconnect pipes compression fittings are far superior.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:

[...]

Sometimes you find you need to disconnect something when you are
installing a run.

My experience of the demount tool has not been all that good.

I like these fittings they are good for adding to existing work where it's
hard to get the pipe completely dry. They look neater than compression
fittings and at least as reliable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

I like these fittings they are good for adding to existing work where it's
hard to get the pipe completely dry. They look neater than compression
fittings and at least as reliable.

What evidence do you the reliability? They have been around long enough
to gauge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

They have been around long enough
to gauge.

lost your nots have you?

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-03 14:03:39 +0000, "Jim Alexander" said:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

They have been around long enough
to gauge.

lost your nots have you?

Jim A

Funny way to spell marbles....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-03 14:03:39 +0000, "Jim Alexander" said:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

They have been around long enough
to gauge.

lost your nots have you?

Jim A

Funny way to spell marbles....

Matt, have you been hugging a hoodie lately?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-03 14:03:39 +0000, "Jim Alexander" said:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

They have been around long enough
to gauge.
lost your nots have you?

Jim A

Funny way to spell marbles....

Matt, have you been hugging a hoodie lately?

I thought that you were into those - sales promotions from this month's
favourite boiler manufacturer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-03 14:03:39 +0000, "Jim Alexander"
said:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

They have been around long enough
to gauge.
lost your nots have you?

Jim A

Funny way to spell marbles....

Matt, have you been hugging a hoodie lately?

I thought that you were into those - sales promotions from this month's
favourite boiler manufacturer

Matt, you are odd. Near me some man in a hideous blue pin striped suit and a
blue rosette had his arms around this kid full of tattoos. He was shouting
"I love you, you lout". Matt, was that you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Matt, you are odd. Near me some man in a hideous blue pin striped suit
and a blue rosette had his arms around this kid full of tattoos. He
was shouting "I love you, you lout".

So you're not the only gay in the village?

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Matt, you are odd. Near me some man in a hideous blue pin striped suit
and a blue rosette had his arms around this kid full of tattoos. He
was shouting "I love you, you lout".

So

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-04 16:43:55 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

Matt, you are odd. Near me some man in a hideous blue pin striped suit
and a blue rosette had his arms around this kid full of tattoos. He
was shouting "I love you, you lout". Matt, was that you?

No, it was Peter Mandelson.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-04 16:43:55 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

Matt, you are odd. Near me some man in a hideous blue pin striped suit
and a blue rosette had his arms around this kid full of tattoos. He was
shouting "I love you, you lout". Matt, was that you?

No, it was Peter Mandelson.

Matt, you made that up.

Using speedfit manifold Arthur UK diy 3 March 17th 05 10:56 PM
Cupro-nickel brake line Alan Metalworking 0 November 25th 04 12:00 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 05:05 PM
speedfit to copper P.A.Osborne UK diy 20 August 6th 03 09:07 AM