Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Intermittent operation SDS drill - help!

My sds drill (Bosch GBH 2-24 DFR) has developed a fault when sometimes
you pull the trigger and get nothing, tip it vertical (or maybe give it
a knock) and it's ok.

I've had it apart and checked for low-ohm across every single
connection - coils, brushes, reversing switch and main switch - all
exaclty what you'd expect.

The fault seems orientation dependent - particularly pronounced when
it's horizontal (tip it off horizontal and it runs fine, back to
horizontal and it doesn't, tip it downwards and it's ok again, back to
horiz - arrrgh! - etc).

The only thing I can't check is the speed-sensitive part of the switch
(there's a direct contact as well- for the supressor cap - which I can
check, and is ok).

So how do these speed senstive switches work? Is there a variable
resistance in there?

The power switch is £26, so unless it's a fairly certain suspect, I'd
be reluctant to buy one.

Parts diagram he
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?P...ageHistory=cat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message

[...]

See the line above that starts with the word connection! Is the cable OK
where it enters the drill body, sometimes with metal fatigue the inner cores
break down. Try pulling the trigger and wiggling the cable.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are the brushes ok?

Yes - visually checked them - lots left, well sprung onto the rotor,
solid connections. I also checked continuity from the live pin of the
plug through to the input side of the switch (0.4 ohm), and from the
output side of switch right through to the neutral pin of the plug (15
ohms).

So I guess that pretty much leaves the speed-sensitive switch.

Can anyone tell me if it might be worth breaking the switch open and
what sort of circuit/position-sensing they use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As above, remove cable cover and pull the cores of the flex.
Usually come adrift within about 100mm of the cable clamp. HTH [as
well]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try pulling the trigger and wiggling the cable.

Yup - cable checked!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Nov 2006 10:13:48 -0800, " wrote:

Are the brushes ok?

Yes - visually checked them - lots left, well sprung onto the rotor,
solid connections. I also checked continuity from the live pin of the
plug through to the input side of the switch (0.4 ohm), and from the
output side of switch right through to the neutral pin of the plug (15
ohms).

So I guess that pretty much leaves the speed-sensitive switch.

Can anyone tell me if it might be worth breaking the switch open and
what sort of circuit/position-sensing they use?

Can you strap the switch out completely and see if the fault disappears or
remains ?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Intermittent continuity fault on the cable!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think it's something mechanical with the hammery mechanism. Sometimes
SDS drills do need to be "started" by knocking the tip into the workpiece.

Funnily enough, this drill did have that fault too (intermitent hammer
action). Turned out to be a problem with hammer selector switch not
properly engaging the whotsit that slides a "layshaft" in the gearbox.

Intermittent hammer function on Bosch SDS drill? [email protected] UK diy 5 July 24th 16 02:46 PM
SDS drill F UK diy 16 January 20th 06 08:33 AM
SDS drill for under £50? al UK diy 76 January 4th 06 05:57 PM
SDS Drill TMC UK diy 9 December 29th 05 09:25 PM
Need a new SDS drill Chris Melluish UK diy 154 October 22nd 05 09:23 PM