Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

Default SDS Drill

Hi All

One of the Xmas presents was an SDS drill

Never had one of these before

Its only a cheap Titan one from screwfix

Says in instructions that the grease tank in the top should be topped up
regularly

Had a look before using and it appears almost empty

I expected it to be filled to the top

Question is should it be filled completely or do I just part fill it to
allow free movement of the cam inside

Regards

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
Hi All

One of the Xmas presents was an SDS drill

Never had one of these before

Its only a cheap Titan one from screwfix

Says in instructions that the grease tank in the top should be topped up
regularly

Had a look before using and it appears almost empty

I expected it to be filled to the top

Question is should it be filled completely or do I just part fill it to
allow free movement of the cam inside

Regards

Tony

It's not meant to be filled to the brim. You just need a fat coating
over the parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message
oups.com...

TMC wrote:
Hi All

One of the Xmas presents was an SDS drill

Never had one of these before

Its only a cheap Titan one from screwfix

Says in instructions that the grease tank in the top should be topped up
regularly

Had a look before using and it appears almost empty

I expected it to be filled to the top

Question is should it be filled completely or do I just part fill it to
allow free movement of the cam inside

Regards

Tony

It's not meant to be filled to the brim. You just need a fat coating
over the parts.

Following on from this. When the supplied pot of grease has been used up,
can any type of grease be used or is it a specific 'recipe?

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

"John" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

TMC wrote:
Hi All

One of the Xmas presents was an SDS drill

Never had one of these before

Its only a cheap Titan one from screwfix

Says in instructions that the grease tank in the top should be topped up
regularly

Had a look before using and it appears almost empty

I expected it to be filled to the top

Question is should it be filled completely or do I just part fill it to
allow free movement of the cam inside

Regards

Tony

It's not meant to be filled to the brim. You just need a fat coating
over the parts.

Following on from this. When the supplied pot of grease has been used up,
can any type of grease be used or is it a specific 'recipe?

Cheers

John
According to the booklet with mine the grease is a 'Standard Lithium
Grease'

I will see what my local car accessory shop has (although I have not checked
I was thinking wheel bearing grease)

Regards

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

John wrote:
daddyfreddy wrotem...
TMC wrote:
Says in instructions that the grease tank in the top should be topped up
regularly

It's not meant to be filled to the brim. You just need a fat coating
over the parts.

Following on from this. When the supplied pot of grease has been used up,
can any type of grease be used or is it a specific 'recipe?

Use molybdenum grease, available from car spares shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Chris Bacon writes:

Use molybdenum grease, available from car spares shops.

Yes, it must be rubber friendly (at least for the bit -- my Metabo
SDS drill doesn't need the gearbox filling).

I asked my local garage, and they gave me a handful of molybdenum
grease sachets. They come with each new CV joint, but the garage
uses a large grease gun to load the joints with grease, for which
the sachets are useless, so they get chucked out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"TMC" writes:
Hi All

One of the Xmas presents was an SDS drill

Never had one of these before

BTW, CPC have a special offer on a 3 piece SDS drill set,
12mm, 16mm, 24mm, all 1 metre long! TL0895923 £8.11 + VAT
until 31 December.

I ordered them to arrive at my parents' house for christmas
(one of the tasks this year was to Cat 5 cable their house).
My parents fell about laughing when the things turned up,
and I must admit I hadn't thought quite how monstrous they
would be. However, at only some 30 seconds to drill through
a cavity brick wall (or a minute if you include bit changes),
they were well worth it. My dad used to do it in the best
part of an hour using Rawlplug cold chisels, a spanner, and
a 4lb hammer!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

snip......

BTW, CPC have a special offer on a 3 piece SDS drill set,
12mm, 16mm, 24mm, all 1 metre long! TL0895923 £8.11 + VAT
until 31 December.

After some searching I found this set on the CPC/Farnell web site, but
no mention of a 31/12 deadline, nor of some other original or normal
price.

With 5.99 postage - making 16.56 in all with VAT - how good is this
offer?

Also note largest is 24mm which is a gnat's whisker too small for 25mm
conduit tube, alas :-(((

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"jim_in_sussex" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
snip......
BTW, CPC have a special offer on a 3 piece SDS drill set,
12mm, 16mm, 24mm, all 1 metre long! TL0895923 £8.11 + VAT
until 31 December.

After some searching I found this set on the CPC/Farnell web site, but
no mention of a 31/12 deadline, nor of some other original or normal
price.

On investigation, the 31/12 deadline is for the 34p off price,
after which it's TL08959 @ £8.45 + VAT.

With 5.99 postage - making 16.56 in all with VAT - how good is this
offer?

Somehow, I never manage to place a CPC order which is small
enough to attract a P+P charge.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kaiser

"TMC" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

TMC wrote:
[...]

Castrol LM grease would be ideal for that application, it's a standard wheel
bearing type lithium grease and widely available from car accessory shops.
For the end of the SDS bits where they fit into the drill, a light smear of
silicone grease is suitable as it will not perish the rubber dust cap.

Mortiser vs. Drill Press Adam Diehl Woodworking 16 November 28th 04 02:14 AM
Drill help barry martin Home Repair 0 November 2nd 04 11:27 PM
Measuring, lining up & drilling holes Daven Thrice Metalworking 23 September 14th 04 08:33 PM
deep hole question Bill Chernoff Metalworking 14 June 18th 04 05:36 PM
how to drill post holes in solid rock klim Home Repair 13 March 9th 04 02:41 AM