Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default OT - Cheapest printers

Hi all.
I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-20 18:41:08 +0000, "51" said:

Hi all.
I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Arthur

It depends on the type of printing and number of colours and whether
you can replace cartridges individually.

Take a look at the price of printers of different makes for the type
that you want to have. In general, the cheapest printers are likely
to have the most expensive consumables cost.

Have you bought a razor recently? The clue is there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Have you bought a razor recently? The clue is there.

I find razor marketing absolutely hilarious. You can just see the
marketing people in a meeting with the product development people:

Marketing: Right, we need a new feature, something to differentiate us
from the competition.

Product development: How about an extra blade?

Marketing: That would mean 6 blades in the razor head! Genius!! We just
don't know how you guys keep coming up with these innovations.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:11:09 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Have you bought a razor recently? The clue is there.

I find razor marketing absolutely hilarious. You can just see the
marketing people in a meeting with the product development people:

Marketing: Right, we need a new feature, something to differentiate us
from the competition.

Product development: How about an extra blade?

Marketing: That would mean 6 blades in the razor head! Genius!! We just
don't know how you guys keep coming up with these innovations.

The trouble with you rant is that it is the best shave I have ever had in
50+ years. Bloody expensive, but worth every penny IMO.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:

The trouble with you rant is that it is the best shave I have ever had in
50+ years. Bloody expensive, but worth every penny IMO.

Really think so? I think 2 was an improvement over 1. 3 I couldn't tell
much difference, and it clogged easily. I skipped trying the 4 blade
variety, but recently tried a Fusion (5 blades), and that really clogged
up very easily.

I tend to be quite lazy, shaving only every few days. Perhaps if I
shaved every day it would be more effective for me.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:25:12 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Jim S wrote:

The trouble with you rant is that it is the best shave I have ever had in
50+ years. Bloody expensive, but worth every penny IMO.

Really think so? I think 2 was an improvement over 1. 3 I couldn't tell
much difference, and it clogged easily. I skipped trying the 4 blade
variety, but recently tried a Fusion (5 blades), and that really clogged
up very easily.

I tend to be quite lazy, shaving only every few days. Perhaps if I
shaved every day it would be more effective for me.

I can see that would be a problem.
I went back to the Sensor 2 sure in my own mind it was the best ever.
Funny how the memory plays tricks.
I use oil if I'm shaving daily and foam over oil if I miss a day(s).
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Hi all.
I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Arthur

A second hand HP laserjet off ebay. Pre about Laserjet 6, they were
built like tanks and soldier on forever.

Forget multifunction. If you want a scanner, get a scanner. If you want
to send faxes use fax software.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Hi all.
I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Arthur

The cheapest printers for ink are office models. They are sold at
prices that make a profit for the manufacturer, so they don't need to
recoup a loss on the cartridges. You can sometimes get them at a price
not too much higher than home printers in clearance sections, eg
http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/Y990557R

I use a professional laser for cheap printing, and one of these
http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/Y992231 as a multifunction. The inks
not cheap but I don't print much on it, and the network scanning and
faxing is brilliant.

PCWB stuff is available through http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/ if you
don't have a pcwb account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:33:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

A second hand HP laserjet off ebay. Pre about Laserjet 6, they were
built like tanks and soldier on forever.

Hear hear. I have several LaserJet 4+ machines. The latest was being
thrown out at work. Runs sweetly, and only done half a million pages!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-20 19:11:09 +0000, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Have you bought a razor recently? The clue is there.

I find razor marketing absolutely hilarious. You can just see the
marketing people in a meeting with the product development people:

Marketing: Right, we need a new feature, something to differentiate us
from the competition.

Product development: How about an extra blade?

Marketing: That would mean 6 blades in the razor head! Genius!! We just
don't know how you guys keep coming up with these innovations.

The other thing is that the so-and-sos vary the number of blades with
the razor packs. The last one I bought (Green one with the battery and
motor) came with only three rather than the full pack of 5.

Still it does include the battery.

However..... on a recent trip through Frankfurt, where the security
screeners are well known for their sense of humour, the razor had
managed to switch itself on in my wash bag. The look on the
screener's face was a picture as she donned the purple latex gloves to
find out what the buzzing and vibrating was from within.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Some of the (lower end) Canon Pixmar range - they use separate tanks,
and if you don't mind buying compatible inks rather than Canon originals
you can replace all the carts and still have change from a tenner!

They also have a nice feature in that the print head is not included in
the cartridges (like Epson), but is itself a separate cartridge - so it
is easy and cost effective to replace if required, without jacking the
price of the consumables (like HP)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
51 wrote:

I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Some of the (lower end) Canon Pixmar range - they use separate tanks,
and if you don't mind buying compatible inks rather than Canon originals
you can replace all the carts and still have change from a tenner!

I read around this a year or so back, and the Canon Pixmar range
came out best for low per-page costs. The complete lack of support
for anything other than Windows ruled it out for me though (could
have changed in the last year though).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

However, Turboprint claims a long list of Pixma range...

http://www.turboprint.info/printers.html

Nice to see they are still going... I bought TP7 for my Amiga many years
ago (mid to late 90's I guess), and it used to be able to produce far
better results than one could get out of the manufacturers own drivers
for the PC at the time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

Hi all.
I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Arthur

http://tomshardware.co.uk/peripheral...ers/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
51 wrote:

Some of the (lower end) Canon Pixmar range - they use separate tanks,
and if you don't mind buying compatible inks rather than Canon originals
you can replace all the carts and still have change from a tenner!

I read around this a year or so back, and the Canon Pixmar range
came out best for low per-page costs. The complete lack of support
for anything other than Windows ruled it out for me though (could
have changed in the last year though).

Note, however, "Some of the (lower end)". Canon have recently joined the
band of robbers who have chipped print heads integral to the ink.

Another Dave

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
51 wrote:

Some of the (lower end) Canon Pixmar range - they use separate tanks,
and if you don't mind buying compatible inks rather than Canon originals
you can replace all the carts and still have change from a tenner!

I read around this a year or so back, and the Canon Pixmar range
came out best for low per-page costs. The complete lack of support
for anything other than Windows ruled it out for me though (could
have changed in the last year though).

Note, however, "Some of the (lower end)". Canon have recently joined the
band of robbers who have chipped print heads integral to the ink.

Actually most of the Pixma range are now Chipped.

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:33:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

A second hand HP laserjet off ebay. Pre about Laserjet 6, they were
built like tanks and soldier on forever.

Hear hear. I have several LaserJet 4+ machines. The latest was being
thrown out at work. Runs sweetly, and only done half a million pages!

Laserjet 4000 here, just had a maintenance kit at 200k pages, not that
it needed it, it just asked for one.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-20 19:11:09 +0000, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of the time I got stopped for speeding in Belgium (****s)

One policeman with the clipboard doing the biz, the other standing
pointing a sub machine gun through the windscreen and then ...

my alarm clock in a bag on the back seat went off

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , 51
writes
Hi all.
I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

You could look at

http://www.charisco.com/

for some useful info

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:41:08 -0000, 51 wrote:

Hi all.
I need to replace my multi-function inkjet printer.
My question is, what are the cheapest printers for replacement ink?

Arthur

I use an Epson and use Print_Rite inks.
Black £2.50 Coloured £3.50.
I believe that if you use separate colours they are £2.50.
Excellent value from my local shop.
Don't go near Lexmark. The cartridges for the basic one are ~£30
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Printers Dave Home Repair 5 November 11th 06 01:19 AM
Cheapest B&Q Bart C UK diy 14 December 3rd 05 09:38 PM
Epson Printers ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 38 October 15th 05 05:39 AM
cheapest outside socket? ady2°°4© UK diy 8 February 17th 05 10:01 AM
USB PRINTERS West Midlands, UK. UK diy 9 February 9th 05 09:37 PM