Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bart C

Default Cheapest B&Q

Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could get
away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't possibly
cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

bart

[apologies if my newsreader sometimes double posts]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bland

"Bart C" wrote in message
Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could
get away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't
possibly cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

It varies with the financial results they have to quote for the stockmarket.
If the profits are down they generally go round the store and put all the
prices of the smaller items up, hoping no one will notice or care.

The bigger items don't change 'cos you would tend to notice that and its
worth driving somewhere else for a cheaper deal.

bland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Bart C" wrote in message
Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could

get
away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't

possibly
cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

The Warehouse was to compete with Wickes, who are geared for the trade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin

But don't buy any wood from either as it's very poor quality.

Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin

But don't buy any wood from either as it's very poor quality.

Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:17:03 -0000, "Bart C" wrote:

Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could get
away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't possibly
cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

The cost of the item(s) is of very little significance.The market
dictates what they charge you.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Warehouse was to compete with Wickes, who are geared for the trade.

The cowboy trade, that is. Judging by the ancient vans in the carpark.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:46:10 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Bart C" wrote in message
Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could

get
away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't

possibly
cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

The Warehouse was to compete with Wickes, who are geared for the trade.

Complete with the little "How to do it" leaflets.

Strange that these are not to be found in heating, plumbing and
builder's merchants.

Explain why Wickes are open on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

For the same reason that a dog gets away with licking its ********.

What markup are they using for something that can't possibly
cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

A little more than 100% by the look of it.

They can charge whatever they believe that people will be willing to
pay.

In essence you answered your own question. The store is nearer to
you. Your choice is to go to the nearer one and pay more or travel
further, incurring real and opportunity cost and pay less.

Seems like a normal pattern of business....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark S.

wrote:

"Bart C" wrote in message
Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could

get
away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't

possibly
cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

The Warehouse was to compete with Wickes, who are geared for the trade.

Complete with the little "How to do it" leaflets.

Strange that these are not to be found in heating, plumbing and
builder's merchants.

Explain why Wickes are open on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

Probably as I work when the merchants are open so need to go at the
weekend. :-)

Mark S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:17:03 -0000, "Bart C" wrote:

Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of ?1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could get
away with that.

For the same reason that a dog gets away with licking its ********.

So it's that part of the employee training that makes people work there
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 03 Dec 2005 18:03:01 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:17:03 -0000, "Bart C" wrote:

Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of ?1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could get
away with that.

For the same reason that a dog gets away with licking its ********.

So it's that part of the employee training that makes people work there

I can't think of any other reason.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Bart C" wrote in message
Which is the cheapest among B&Q SuperCentre, Mini Warehouse and Warehouse
stores?

I think Warehouse are cheapest but what about the other two? (The ones
nearest to me

Warehouse used to be significantly cheaper than my nearest store (like 51p
instead of £1.19 for plumbing bits) and I used to wander how they could

get
away with that. What markup are they using for something that can't

possibly
cost them more than 51p and selling for 119p?

The Warehouse was to compete with Wickes, who are geared for the trade.

In my experience if Wickes have what you want it is normally competively priced.

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:
Wickes, who are geared for the trade.

Complete with the little "How to do it" leaflets.

Strange that these are not to be found in heating, plumbing and
builder's merchants.

Explain why Wickes are open on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

Easy, Wickes are, quite obviously, a retail outlet for subsets of
"the trade" as well as D-I-Yers.