Lee Carkenord

Default cheapest new lawn mower

I am going to need to buy a new power lawn mower before next summer.
I want a small, basic, no frills model, NOT self propelled.

Would I get cheapest purchase price by buying close-out fall model on
sale, or would they be cheaper early next Spring?

I live in Denver Co, where we have several winter months of no mowing.

Thank you..... Lee Carkenord
m Ransley

Do your math Bozo, what do Bozos save in 6 mo or get on sale discounts.
Also is it a250 hr Tecsuchsee or a 2500 hr Honda

Art

Go for left over at Lowes or Home Depot but wait till there is no chance of
selling any more and ask for a deal. Many years ago there Lowes had some
neat lawn tractors for $1850. I had a crappy one and a friend needed one so
I told him to try a negotiate a deal with Lowes. Got them for $1300 each at
the end of the season.

"Lee Carkenord" wrote in message
om...
I am going to need to buy a new power lawn mower before next summer.
I want a small, basic, no frills model, NOT self propelled.

Would I get cheapest purchase price by buying close-out fall model on
sale, or would they be cheaper early next Spring?

I live in Denver Co, where we have several winter months of no mowing.

Thank you..... Lee Carkenord

SJF

"Lee Carkenord" wrote in message
om...
I am going to need to buy a new power lawn mower before next summer.
I want a small, basic, no frills model, NOT self propelled.

Would I get cheapest purchase price by buying close-out fall model on
sale, or would they be cheaper early next Spring?

I live in Denver Co, where we have several winter months of no mowing.

Thank you..... Lee Carkenord

I bought one from Sears last fall. Clerk says we gotta get them outa here
and put in Christmas goods. Got about 10% off the regular price. Watched
the pricing this spring.

On closeouts you may not find the model you want. With Sears, it seems that
the best ploy is to watch their repeated sales and buy when your chosen
model is featured--regardless of the time of year. Don't know how the other
retailers do.

SJF

Bob

"Lee Carkenord" wrote in message
om...
I am going to need to buy a new power lawn mower before next

summer.
I want a small, basic, no frills model, NOT self propelled.

Would I get cheapest purchase price by buying close-out fall

model on
sale, or would they be cheaper early next Spring?

I've only bought one NEW mower in my life. The used ones have
been MUCH better deals. Of course, you need to be able to do
basic repairs to make it so.

Bob

Childfree Scott

My push reel mower only cost me something like $80
Curmudgeon

And you get a better looking cut than ANY rotary mower can give...regardless
of cost!

"Childfree Scott" wrote in message
om...
My push reel mower only cost me something like $80

Bill Schnakenberg

Lee Carkenord wrote:

I am going to need to buy a new power lawn mower before next summer.
I want a small, basic, no frills model, NOT self propelled.

Would I get cheapest purchase price by buying close-out fall model on
sale, or would they be cheaper early next Spring?

I live in Denver Co, where we have several winter months of no mowing.

Thank you..... Lee Carkenord

20 years ago, I bought a Craftsman 4 HP front wheel drive lawn mower for
about $300.
I am still using it. The chrome handles are rusted. It is all chipped,
bent, and filthy. I destroyed the drive wheel fenders when it got caught
in a chicken wire fence, which also bent the chain drive shaft for the
drive wheels. I banged the shaft somewhat straight, and it still has a
little wobble, but it still works the drive wheels. All that I have
changed on it was the oil, spark plug and rope pulley. It starts on the
first pull every spring after having been stored in an outside shed all
winter. So far, I figure it has cost me about $15 a year to own, minus
gas, oil and replacement blades. ($300 / 20 years)
Ron Hardin

I get by with the cheapest discount store model in the spring. Some
last a long time and others don't.

If it's a small lot, consider a push reel mower. The things are
a LOT easier to push than power mowers. American Lawn Mower Company
18" is nice, or the Scott's 20" (also made by ALMC though) for a
bigger lawn, or Great States, which again is ALMC I think. You
get a nice quiet walk, and easily do it in stages because there's
no ritual about starting and stopping, and you can hear birds, if
your neighbor isn't mowing anyway.

You do need a way to cut _long_ grass though, in case you get behind;
so a power mower available or borrowable is probably necessary too.

Also, for sharpening the blades, take very literally the need to
wipe off _all_ the grinding compound in their simple instructions;
spend an hour at it in fact, or the blades will quickly grind themselves
dull again.

Other than that, it works great.

I use a scythe on long grass myself, but find it's just a great hobby
and doubt it will be widely shared http://www.scythesupply.com .
The addiction is that if you just _touch_ a stand of suitable long
crisp grass with the blade, the grass falls over in a neat row onto
your newly honed blade. Would that the blade stayed that sharp for
more than a minute, or that all grass was crisp. Anyway you go out
looking for the perfect stand of grass, and it's a nice pasttime.

--
Ron Hardin

Rich

I use a Brill:
http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com...ll_luxus33.htm

It doesn't need sharpening as the blades don't scrape the scyth on the
bottom, it just misses but is sharp or set close enough to cut paper. I
really like it and it is very quiet as the blades aren't constantly
grinding them selves dull.

YMMV, Rich

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
[...]

Ron Hardin

Rich wrote:

I use a Brill:
http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com...ll_luxus33.htm

It doesn't need sharpening as the blades don't scrape the scyth on the
bottom, it just misses but is sharp or set close enough to cut paper. I
really like it and it is very quiet as the blades aren't constantly
grinding them selves dull.

YMMV, Rich

I was thinking of mentioning Brill, but didn't - it's a great mower, makes
a really neat squnching noise when it cuts, but IT DOESN'T CUT MANY TYPES OF GRASS.

Unfortunately the more common American grasses seem to be in that don't-cut set.
These it squeezes but does not cut, leaving dead white grass tops nicked at various
heights from various passes over the lawn. Also squeezing but not cutting makes
the mower very hard to push, in addition to not cutting.

If you want to try it, and it cuts the type of grass you have, I'd go with it, it's
great. They have a return guarantee, though I'm not the type that ever returns
things that aren't simply DOA myself.

There isn't much cutting width on Brill in any case, if you have a lot to cut. You'll
make a lot of passes.

But a great sound, and a nice walk.
--
Ron Hardin

Edwin Pawlowski

Lee Carkenord wrote:

I am going to need to buy a new power lawn mower before next summer.
I want a small, basic, no frills model, NOT self propelled.

Would I get cheapest purchase price by buying close-out fall model on
sale, or would they be cheaper early next Spring?

Look around for a used one Often a small engine guy will fix them up and
sell them for cheap.

Buying the cheapest mower is no bargain. It will be crap in a couple of
years and frustrate the hell out of you. Last time I had a cheap mower, I'd
get so worn out getting it started that I'd be too tired to cut the grass
once it was running.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Lee Carkenord" wrote in message
om...
I am going to need to buy a new power lawn mower before next summer.
I want a small, basic, no frills model, NOT self propelled.

Would I get cheapest purchase price by buying close-out fall model on
sale, or would they be cheaper early next Spring?

I live in Denver Co, where we have several winter months of no mowing.

Thank you..... Lee Carkenord

You might do as I recently did.

I was at Lowes in my town getting some 2 inch PVC for stock, since my
supplier was out, and I noticed that they had a few mowers out front. SOME
of them were returns, and carried the same warranty as the new ones.
There was a 21 inch Troy Built with the self propel feature, and rear
bagger, side discharge, or mulch, with a 6 3/4 HP B+S on it...it looked
brand new, but it had been returned. The service sheet on it stated:

Problem: Will not start
Repair: Added Fuel.

Ohhhhkay...

I really was thinking Lawn Boy, and was looking at a new one, but I noticed
that the price on the mower was marked to $199 and it sold in the store for
$299...
I saw the employee that was working the outside Lawn and Garden area,
started talking about mowers in general, and when he pointed out that very
same mower, and commented on the price, I stated that I would buy it if it
was $120.

I have a new Troy Built now....