Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor fan installation?

Hopefully someone will be able to provide advice.

I've installed a 100mm extractor fan in a small bathroom. The fan is capable
of extracting 93m cubed per hour. The room is *very* small: toilet, bath and
shower attachment to bath taps (combination boiler) with no room left.

The extractor fan seems to work well when the bath is being used but it
isn't functioning effectively when the shower is used: the condensation is
very apparent and has causing water/damp/condensation damage to Artex in one
corner of the small room (I tried to repair the Artex damage with filler but
that too has flaked because of condensation).

Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem? (If so, why does shower use
cause this when bath use doesn't?)

If a bigger fan is needed I don't feel at all confident installing it -
cutting holes in the ceiling and even roof for larger ducting. Does anyone
know which trade would install the ceiling fan and ducting. I think an
electrician wouldn't deal with the ducting and a plumber wouldn't deal with
the electrics?!

Gareth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:

[...]

Some 4" fans are better than others.
Throughput will be determined by the resistance to air flow into the
room just as much as by the fan. To put it another way, fans cant be
expected to achieve the stated figures.
Showers put out much more steam than baths.
If there is no wide open air input route, a grille in the door may
solve it.
Extacting air by teh shower obviously makes more sense than elsewhere.
However in the medium run a humidistatic dehumidifier will cost you
less thsn a fan.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:

I've installed a 100mm extractor fan in a small bathroom.

The extractor fan seems to work well when the bath is being used but it
isn't functioning effectively when the shower is used: the condensation is
very apparent and has causing water/damp/condensation damage to Artex in one
corner of the small room

Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem? (If so, why does shower use
cause this when bath use doesn't?)

The moisture in the air gets there by evaporation. The amount of
evaporation is related to the surface area of water exposed to
the air. The surface area of the bath (plus some wet skin) is
very much less than that of all the water droplets falling from
the shower head. The finer the spray, the greater the effect.
The motion of the droplets further enhances this.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:44:45 -0000, Gareth wrote:

I've installed a 100mm extractor fan in a small bathroom. The fan is
capable of extracting 93m cubed per hour. The room is *very* small:

Can 93m^3/hr of air get in when the room is in use and/or the door
closed? Does the fan run on after use of the room? If so for how long?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail