Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper colour paint for cast iron rads?

Does anyone know where i can get some paint for my new cast iron radiators
in a realistic burnished copper colour?

Hameright had a copper but im not sure it will be ok for radiators, nor
whether its is a decent finish.

Any advice welcomed!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Does anyone know where i can get some paint for my new cast iron radiators
in a realistic burnished copper colour?

Hameright had a copper but im not sure it will be ok for radiators, nor
whether its is a decent finish.

Any advice welcomed!

Steve

I used a can of Plasti-Kote bronze spray once. Not bad finish. Dunno
about the heat tho.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Does anyone know where i can get some paint for my new cast iron
radiators in a realistic burnished copper colour?

Hameright had a copper but im not sure it will be ok for radiators,
nor whether its is a decent finish.

I've used (Black) Hammerite for heat pipes and radiators, it worked OK and
looked good. Didn't seem to have a problem with the heat but wasn't in a
'high traffic' area.
Money saving note: use petrol for a brush cleaner.

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sla#s wrote:

Money saving note: use petrol for a brush cleaner.

Does anyone actually still clean brushes? I just throw them out after a
single use. Reasonably good brushes are now widely available very cheaply.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Does anyone actually still clean brushes?

Not the folded aluminium disposables, but I still clean my paint
brushes. My varnish brushes are about £8 each, so you bet I clean them
carefully!

Mostly though I store my brushes in a Brushmate, without cleaning them.
Wonderful gadget!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Not the folded aluminium disposables, but I still clean my paint
brushes. My varnish brushes are about £8 each, so you bet I clean them
carefully!

Mostly though I store my brushes in a Brushmate, without cleaning them.
Wonderful gadget!

Have you tried using pads for varnish? Since trying it, I haven't
brushed varnish at all. Since varnishing is about the only thing I ever
do which would otherwise require fine brushes, I can do without them.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Have you tried using pads for varnish?

Water-based varnishes, yes. Spirit varnishes, no.

By "varnish" here I very rarely use something that comes in a tin. It's
usually a spirit varnish made by dissolving plant resins in alcohol
over heat, using a 17th century recipe. These need to be brushed, and
they're fussy about the brushes too

If I'm using poly, it's that gel Patina from Screwfix, put on with a
cloth.

"Everyday" varnish round here is actually shellac and I put that on
with artist's watercolour brushes, left to go hard afterwards and
softened next time I use them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:36:42 -0000, "Sla#s"
wrote:

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Does anyone know where i can get some paint for my new cast iron
radiators in a realistic burnished copper colour?

Hameright had a copper but im not sure it will be ok for radiators,
nor whether its is a decent finish.

I've used (Black) Hammerite for heat pipes and radiators, it worked OK and
looked good. Didn't seem to have a problem with the heat but wasn't in a
'high traffic' area.
Money saving note: use petrol for a brush cleaner.

Further money saving note: use a petrel for a brush.

sorry :-)

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sla#s
writes
R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Does anyone know where i can get some paint for my new cast iron
radiators in a realistic burnished copper colour?

Hameright had a copper but im not sure it will be ok for radiators,
nor whether its is a decent finish.

I've used (Black) Hammerite for heat pipes and radiators, it worked OK and
looked good. Didn't seem to have a problem with the heat but wasn't in a
'high traffic' area.

Came out copper coloured, did it ?

--
geoff