Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drain rods question

Are 'old' and new drain rod sets usually compatible in terms of the
screw fittings?

I ask because I have a set of (orange) propylene drain rods which
aren't quite long enough for my drains so I was going to buy a new set
to add to the length. This existing set is possibly 10 or so years old
(at a rough guess).

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

phil wrote:
Are 'old' and new drain rod sets usually compatible in terms of the
screw fittings?

I ask because I have a set of (orange) propylene drain rods which
aren't quite long enough for my drains so I was going to buy a new set
to add to the length. This existing set is possibly 10 or so years old
(at a rough guess).

There are two types, locking and non-locking. Both are readily
available. They are not compatible with each other.

Locking ones have a square section just beyond the threaded part, non
locking ones don't.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:07:05 +0000, Grunff wrote:

There are two types, locking and non-locking. Both are readily
available. They are not compatible with each other.

Locking ones have a square section just beyond the threaded part, non
locking ones don't.

Thanks, my current set is definitely have non-locking.

However, I can see the point in using locking rods - after all, you
don't want a segment to unscrew when it's a few feet underground!

Makes me wonder how the heck you'd get it out if that did happen.
Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

However, I can see the point in using locking rods - after all, you
don't want a segment to unscrew when it's a few feet underground!

Just don't think about turning them the wrong way!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
However, I can see the point in using locking rods - after all, you
don't want a segment to unscrew when it's a few feet underground!

Just don't think about turning them the wrong way!

Yes, I've never had a problem with unscrewing with non-locking sets,
even when using 25 rods in series (don't ask). You just make sure you
keep light torque applied in the do-up direction when moving back +
forth, and it's fine.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grunff wrote:

Yes, I've never had a problem with unscrewing with non-locking
sets, even when using 25 rods in series (don't ask). You just
make sure you keep light torque applied in the do-up direction
when moving back + forth, and it's fine.

Being able to rotate the far end can help it
get around corners.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote in message
phil wrote:
Are 'old' and new drain rod sets usually compatible in terms of the
screw fittings?

I ask because I have a set of (orange) propylene drain rods which
aren't quite long enough for my drains so I was going to buy a new set
to add to the length. This existing set is possibly 10 or so years old
(at a rough guess).

There are two types, locking and non-locking. Both are readily
available. They are not compatible with each other.

There are a lot more then just two types, I have a set of locking rods with
a spring pin, which will connect with older bamboo rods (but not lock).
I also have a set with a bayonet type connection.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"phil" wrote in message
Are 'old' and new drain rod sets usually compatible in terms of the
screw fittings?

The thread must be fairly standard as you can buy extra drain brushes and
chimney sweep brushes which fit on the end.

Wickes sell a 4 rod extension kit, but if you want 8 rods its cheaper to buy a
complete new kit!

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

phil wrote:
Are 'old' and new drain rod sets usually compatible in terms of the
screw fittings?

I ask because I have a set of (orange) propylene drain rods which
aren't quite long enough for my drains so I was going to buy a new set
to add to the length. This existing set is possibly 10 or so years old
(at a rough guess).

Thanks

Take one with you when you go to buy the new ones.