Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice please on what hand saw to buy

I need to replace my decrepit, blunt rusty old handsaw. It only gets
light use for cutting the odd plank and the like. Looking at B&Q's
shelves though, I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the choice. Can someone
please advise what would be a good general purpose choice. Can one saw
do it all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Modern hardpoint ripsaws. Usually under £10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
" writes
Modern hardpoint ripsaws. Usually under £10

Umm... I have issues with hardpoint technology. The technique seems
limited to lots of teeth per inch and not much by way of set. They also
blunt at the first sight of a soft nail and can be over flexible:
flapping on the return stroke.

In dry, nail free timber they will all do the job provided you are not
expecting straight cuts.

I am currently using a BAHCO superior 22" in 7 tooth from Screwfix,
stiff blade and a touch short of 12 quid so not cheap. This has lasted
half a barn rebuild in indifferent Oak so far and still cutting OK.
There is still insufficient set to straighten a wandering cut and the
teeth don't clear moist sawdust but......

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
The technique seems
limited to lots of teeth per inch and not much by way of set. regards
--

Tim Lamb

Thanks - pardon my ignorance, but what is meant by "set"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message .com,
"

The OP message that Tim Lamb stupidly snipped was asking for
information about the plethora of handsaws available these days.

If you want one for very occasional use get the Bacho described below
it is the best all around saw of its type.

There are jet cut ones with longer teeth that have much more blade area
and that tend to over react to the slightest bump and are as
susceptible to storage and transit handling as Jacksaws. But if you
just want it to remove wood-chip wallpaper -about the only thing I'd
ever use one for, they are ideal if you get a short one.

After use if you hang it up by the hole in the end of it, the Bahco
will last for years. Just give it the occasional spray with WD or
something after using on a wet surface.

Modern hardpoint ripsaws. Usually under £10

Umm... I have issues with hardpoint technology. The technique seems
limited to lots of teeth per inch and not much by way of set. They also
blunt at the first sight of a soft nail and can be over flexible:
flapping on the return stroke.

In dry, nail free timber they will all do the job provided you are not
expecting straight cuts.

I am currently using a BAHCO superior 22" in 7 tooth from Screwfix,
stiff blade and a touch short of 12 quid so not cheap. This has lasted
half a barn rebuild in indifferent Oak so far and still cutting OK.
There is still insufficient set to straighten a wandering cut and the
teeth don't clear moist sawdust but......

The Bahco is an hard point. I agree with you about most other hard
points, the Jacks for instance, always come predesigned to run off the
line. They only set one tooth in something like 5 and that is the tooth
that sits on the rack bracket in the salesroom.

Tell me how you would get around a nail with an old fashioned saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Weatherlawyer writes

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message .com,
"

The OP message that Tim Lamb stupidly snipped was asking for
information about the plethora of handsaws available these days.

Sorry:-)

I was just giving my current views on hardpoint saws rather than advice.

[more snipping..]

Tell me how you would get around a nail with an old fashioned saw.

Re-sharpen or be a lot more careful.

I suppose my gripe is that bi-metal cutting blades are hardly new
technology and could perhaps be incorporated in a saw designed for long
life. The issue of tooth design and quality of setting/sharpening may
depend more on the target market and price than actual performance in
use.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Tell me how you would get around a nail with an old fashioned saw.

Nails are soft and a decent saw will cut them without too much damage.
If it's a big or a hard one, then remember you're sawing by hand here
and it's up to you to notice it and decide whether to plough on ahead
through it.

Modern screws OTOH are harder, and they really will chew up a saw.

I love the idea of a saw for a mere £12... I think my last handsaw
was about £70, and that's because I can't afford the Lie-Nielsen I'd
really like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
The OP message that Tim Lamb stupidly snipped was asking for

If you're going to throw gratuitous insults around you could at least
take the trouble to do so with accuracy.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

I am currently using a BAHCO superior 22" in 7 tooth from Screwfix,
stiff blade and a touch short of 12 quid so not cheap. This has lasted
half a barn rebuild in indifferent Oak so far and still cutting OK.
There is still insufficient set to straighten a wandering cut and the
teeth don't clear moist sawdust but......

Having had a look on the shelves this lunch time, 7tpi would seem to be
quite an "aggresive" cut. Would I be loking at a higher tpi (say, 15)
for getting a really neat finish, albeit requiring extra elbow grease?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am currently using a BAHCO superior 22" in 7 tooth from Screwfix,
stiff blade and a touch short of 12 quid so not cheap.

Actually I'm using exactly the same one, after a Stanley jetcut - which
is now relegated to the jobs that may result in damaged saw-teeth. The
Stanley survived several years of diy and tree-pruning use, and
considering they never need attention beyond occassionaly waxing the
blade, I consider them excellent value.