Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Advice please on what hand saw to buy

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message .com,
"

The OP message that Tim Lamb stupidly snipped was asking for
information about the plethora of handsaws available these days.

If you want one for very occasional use get the Bacho described below
it is the best all around saw of its type.

There are jet cut ones with longer teeth that have much more blade area
and that tend to over react to the slightest bump and are as
susceptible to storage and transit handling as Jacksaws. But if you
just want it to remove wood-chip wallpaper -about the only thing I'd
ever use one for, they are ideal if you get a short one.

After use if you hang it up by the hole in the end of it, the Bahco
will last for years. Just give it the occasional spray with WD or
something after using on a wet surface.

Modern hardpoint ripsaws. Usually under £10

Umm... I have issues with hardpoint technology. The technique seems
limited to lots of teeth per inch and not much by way of set. They also
blunt at the first sight of a soft nail and can be over flexible:
flapping on the return stroke.

In dry, nail free timber they will all do the job provided you are not
expecting straight cuts.

I am currently using a BAHCO superior 22" in 7 tooth from Screwfix,
stiff blade and a touch short of 12 quid so not cheap. This has lasted
half a barn rebuild in indifferent Oak so far and still cutting OK.
There is still insufficient set to straighten a wandering cut and the
teeth don't clear moist sawdust but......

The Bahco is an hard point. I agree with you about most other hard
points, the Jacks for instance, always come predesigned to run off the
line. They only set one tooth in something like 5 and that is the tooth
that sits on the rack bracket in the salesroom.

Tell me how you would get around a nail with an old fashioned saw.