Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timer for outside sodium light

I have a 70w sodium light outside which switches on with a photocell.
Whilst this is handy I dont require it on after about midnight so am
thinking of sticking it on a timer, I can recall reading somewhere
though that lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:

lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

Timer plugs are generally fine, as are most mechanical timers. It's the
sort of self-powered electronic timer (or PIR) lightswitch that doesn't
have a neutral connection but relies on a trickle of current through
the lamp that causes the problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:

I have a 70w sodium light outside which switches on with a photocell.
Whilst this is handy I dont require it on after about midnight so am
thinking of sticking it on a timer, I can recall reading somewhere
though that lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

Timers are fine - use a mechanical one to be sure no problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov 2006 02:29:22 -0800 someone who may be "Staffbull"
wrote this:-

I have a 70w sodium light outside which switches on with a photocell.
Whilst this is handy I dont require it on after about midnight so am
thinking of sticking it on a timer, I can recall reading somewhere
though that lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

Why use a plug-in timer? Why not wire it in to a time clock
properly?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 70w sodium light outside which switches on with a photocell.
Whilst this is handy I dont require it on after about midnight so am
thinking of sticking it on a timer, I can recall reading somewhere
though that lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

How about feeding the output of the photocell through a timer and then to
the sodium light?
I recently used a single channel central heating programmer this way with an
on time of 6 am so that the light comes on at 6 if it is dark and set the
off time to midnight. The photocell still turns the light off in daylight
and this way there was no need to bugger about with the timer as daylight
hours alter.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I have a 70w sodium light outside which switches on with a photocell.
Whilst this is handy I dont require it on after about midnight so am
thinking of sticking it on a timer, I can recall reading somewhere
though that lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

Why use a plug-in timer? Why not wire it in to a time clock
properly?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

are there timed outlets ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov 2006 10:43:44 -0800 someone who may be "Staffbull"
wrote this:-

Why use a plug-in timer? Why not wire it in to a time clock
properly?

are there timed outlets ?

I have no idea what a timed outlet is. However, there are single
gang time clocks, which can be put in the fixed wiring at a suitable
point (such as somewhere along a cable feeding an outside sodium
light).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. ..

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 70w sodium light outside which switches on with a photocell.
Whilst this is handy I dont require it on after about midnight so am
thinking of sticking it on a timer, I can recall reading somewhere
though that lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

How about feeding the output of the photocell through a timer and then to
the sodium light?
I recently used a single channel central heating programmer this way with
an on time of 6 am so that the light comes on at 6 if it is dark and set
the off time to midnight. The photocell still turns the light off in
daylight and this way there was no need to bugger about with the timer as
daylight hours alter.

Adam

I think you mean before the photocell, or the timer would stop when it got
light!

I have just setup a similar system here using my alarm system (Menvier
TS2500) - it has various outputs, and time switches, you can set the zones
as just a signal input - I have a light sensor connected to one of the
zones, and have various outputs set to come on at 07:00 and go off at 00:00,
but only when it is dark :-)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Staffbull writes

I have no idea what a timed outlet is. However, there are single
gang time clocks, which can be put in the fixed wiring at a suitable
point (such as somewhere along a cable feeding an outside sodium
light).

that'll do then :-)

If you're on a budget then the plug-in option is a no brainer, they sell in
such volume that the cost is guaranteed to be under a tenner. On your first
question, even electronic timers (particularly high current ones) are likely
to have relays so no problem with weird loads.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article . com,
Staffbull writes

I have no idea what a timed outlet is. However, there are single
gang time clocks, which can be put in the fixed wiring at a suitable
point (such as somewhere along a cable feeding an outside sodium
light).

that'll do then :-)

If you're on a budget then the plug-in option is a no brainer, they sell in
such volume that the cost is guaranteed to be under a tenner. On your first
question, even electronic timers (particularly high current ones) are likely
to have relays so no problem with weird loads.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Cheers, I've got one of them floating around somewhere, its a digital
type

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sparks" wrote in message
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. ..

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Definately after the photocell in this case.

The CH programmer that is used as the timer has its own permanent power
supply (the same supply as the photo cell) and has a pair of voltage free
contacts that are used to power the light when the timer is on. Is was
purposely done this way as triggering the photocell from the timer would
have meant the sodium tried to fire (for a few minutes) when the timer
called for on even in day light. Using this setup I do not have to alter the
on time on the programmer (except when the clock go back/forward) and the
light only comes on when it is dark, a problem that I cannot overcome
feeding the photocell from the timer

The photocell is one of these
and when power is applied they turn on for a minute of so even in daytime.

Adam