Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks Sparks is offline

Default Timer for outside sodium light

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. ..

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 70w sodium light outside which switches on with a photocell.
Whilst this is handy I dont require it on after about midnight so am
thinking of sticking it on a timer, I can recall reading somewhere
though that lamps of this type cannot be switched by timer plugs, am I
right ?

How about feeding the output of the photocell through a timer and then to
the sodium light?
I recently used a single channel central heating programmer this way with
an on time of 6 am so that the light comes on at 6 if it is dark and set
the off time to midnight. The photocell still turns the light off in
daylight and this way there was no need to bugger about with the timer as
daylight hours alter.

Adam

I think you mean before the photocell, or the timer would stop when it got
light!

I have just setup a similar system here using my alarm system (Menvier
TS2500) - it has various outputs, and time switches, you can set the zones
as just a signal input - I have a light sensor connected to one of the
zones, and have various outputs set to come on at 07:00 and go off at 00:00,
but only when it is dark :-)

Sparks...