Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bath drainage

I've recently turned my bath through 180 degrees so that the taps are
at the opposite end.

This means that I had to extend the drainage pipe so that it runs the
length of the bath.

I'm also putting a power shower above the bath and am worried that it
won't be able to drain the water away quick enough when using the
shower.

Is there anything I can do to increase drainage?

The U-bend and all drainage pipe work is new so there are no blocks.
My new pipework still runs downhill but only slightly. Is it just a
case of increasing the slop on the pipe or are there any plumbing
tricks that I should be aware of?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've recently turned my bath through 180 degrees so that the taps are
at the opposite end.

This means that I had to extend the drainage pipe so that it runs the
length of the bath.

I'm also putting a power shower above the bath and am worried that it
won't be able to drain the water away quick enough when using the
shower.

Is there anything I can do to increase drainage?

The U-bend and all drainage pipe work is new so there are no blocks.
My new pipework still runs downhill but only slightly. Is it just a
case of increasing the slop on the pipe or are there any plumbing
tricks that I should be aware of?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

The only thing I can think of that would help, maybe, is the siphon effect,
but paradoxicaly you may need a smaller bore tube to make that work ( no air
can be present in the siphoning part of the drain tube. Might be difficult
to make work, certainly if you're only having a shower. I imagine the big
difficulty would be that the outflow rate would have to match the shower
inflow rate, which might be impossible to achieve. Usually siphons are used
where the outflow and inflow automatically are the same becasue the outflow
rate determines the inflow!

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

Assuming you have single stack drainage there are maximum slopes for
pipes, related to the diameter of the pipe and length of run. These
maximum slopes are to prevent the trap being siphoned out.

Are these just recommendations, or mandatory? Where are they documented?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:04:56 -0000 someone who may be "Roger Mills"
wrote this:-

Assuming you have single stack drainage there are maximum slopes for
pipes, related to the diameter of the pipe and length of run. These
maximum slopes are to prevent the trap being siphoned out.

Are these just recommendations, or mandatory?

The latter. It is one of the things the Building Control official
will check. You do get one of these to check every new connection to
the drains...

Where are they documented?

Probably in a British Standard. They should also be available in
various books on the subject. Personally, I have a piece of paper by
one of the manufacturers which has the information.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Time To Install A Replacement Bath Stuart UK diy 12 October 25th 06 11:45 AM
Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM