Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Time To Install A Replacement Bath

I am getting a replacement bath and my insurance company is paying for it and
asked me to get quotes for doing so .First company said £258 which was thought
to be rather steep .I called another company who said £44 for the first 30
minutes then £22 each 30 minutes thereafter . They were to get someone to call
back with an estimate of how long the fitting should take .

Anyone on here got any ideas as to the time involved .Would 2 hours be enough ?
The company is about 400 yards from where I live ..

It is a straight replacement .The only variable may be the height and also the
tap holes have to be drilled .

I can sort out the panels once the floor is finished ( sanded) so long as the
height of the bath suits them .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
I am getting a replacement bath and my insurance company is paying for it and
asked me to get quotes for doing so .First company said £258 which was thought
to be rather steep .I called another company who said £44 for the first 30
minutes then £22 each 30 minutes thereafter . They were to get someone to call
back with an estimate of how long the fitting should take .

Anyone on here got any ideas as to the time involved .Would 2 hours be enough ?
The company is about 400 yards from where I live ..

It is a straight replacement .The only variable may be the height and also the
tap holes have to be drilled .

I can sort out the panels once the floor is finished ( sanded) so long as the
height of the bath suits them .

Stuart

I can't comment on the prices, but I'd stick to fixed-price quotations
rather than accepting an estimate based on an hourly rate. There's too
much scope for price inflation with an estimate. As it's an insurance
job you want to know that the price you've quoted to your insurers is
what you are going to be charged by your supplier otherwise you may be
forced to cough up the difference yourself. Someone who does that sort
of work for a living should be able to give you a fixed price for the
job.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
I am getting a replacement bath and my insurance company is paying
for it and asked me to get quotes for doing so .First company said
£258 which was thought to be rather steep .I called another company
who said £44 for the first 30 minutes then £22 each 30 minutes
thereafter . They were to get someone to call back with an estimate
of how long the fitting should take .

Anyone on here got any ideas as to the time involved .Would 2 hours
be enough ? The company is about 400 yards from where I live ..

I doubt you could replace any kind of bath in 2 hours.

I assume this involves turning off the hot & cold supply and removing old
bath - is it cast iron, steel or GRP? Cast iron is a 2 man job to move.

Are the H&C supply copper, iron or lead? Is the waste PVC, copper or lead?

Connecting a new bath involves reconnecting the supply & waste which may or
may not be straightforward.

I'd want a day to be on the safe side, could even take longer. £160 a day +
any materials. Not sure how much a bath is at the moment.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I doubt you could replace any kind of bath in 2 hours.

I'd want a day to be on the safe side, could even take longer.

It's taken me nearly 3 months and counting to replace my bathroom. Sort
of thinking this could be my wife's Christmas present now! Maybe I
should have got Dave in

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:03:18 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Stuart wrote:
[...]

A DAY .???

Turning off hot and cold ?.................a screwdriver to turn the supply off
on the feed pipes below the bath taps

Removing old bath .? .............. I'll do that myself beforehand .It is
acrylic as will be the new one .

H supply?............ plastic with a flexible tail
C supply?........... copper with a flexible tail .

Waste?..................plastic.

I might have confused things in my post .I am arranging the supply of the bath
..This is just about the fitting .

You seem to be forgetting that I stay here .

I fitted the existing bath and I know what is going to be involved . All I want
them to do is fit the supports to the bath ,place the bath in it's postion which
is the same as the existing one .Level it and secure it and connect the feed and
waste. The only extra bit is drilling holes for the taps as the bath will not
have any and they will be in the same position as on the existing bath .....I'll
fit the panels later so as long as the bath height is ok for the panels that'll
be ok. I'll also seal it and do the tiling once it is in .
All in all I'm wondering why I'm even getting someone else to fit it but it's
only because the insurance are paying and if they damage it then they can
replace it .

Stuart .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-25 00:04:11 +0100, Stuart said:

A DAY .???

Turning off hot and cold ?.................a screwdriver to turn the supply off
on the feed pipes below the bath taps
Removing old bath .? .............. I'll do that myself beforehand .It is
acrylic as will be the new one .

H supply?............ plastic with a flexible tail
C supply?........... copper with a flexible tail .

Waste?..................plastic.

I might have confused things in my post .I am arranging the supply of the bath
.This is just about the fitting .

Ah... different story...

You seem to be forgetting that I stay here .

I fitted the existing bath and I know what is going to be involved . All I want
them to do is fit the supports to the bath ,place the bath in it's
postion which
is the same as the existing one .Level it and secure it and connect the
feed and
waste. The only extra bit is drilling holes for the taps as the bath will not
have any and they will be in the same position as on the existing bath
.....I'll
fit the panels later so as long as the bath height is ok for the panels that'll
be ok. I'll also seal it and do the tiling once it is in .
All in all I'm wondering why I'm even getting someone else to fit it but it's
only because the insurance are paying and if they damage it then they can
replace it .

What will happen if you damage the new bath when tiling it, sealing it
or fitting the panel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:

A DAY .???

Depends on what the contractor finds.......

Turning off hot and cold ?.................a screwdriver to turn the
supply off on the feed pipes below the bath taps

Assuming they are fitted - I've spent half an hour finding a stopcock before
now because the house owner didn't have a clue where it was. Service valves
are rare - trust me.

Removing old bath .? .............. I'll do that myself beforehand
.It is acrylic as will be the new one .

You didn't provide either piece of information in your post. Big
Difference. Are you supplying the new bath or is the contractor?

H supply?............ plastic with a flexible tail
C supply?........... copper with a flexible tail .

Now you tell us.

Waste?..................plastic.

Again - now you tell us.

I might have confused things in my post .I am arranging the supply of
the bath .This is just about the fitting .

You did. Big time.

You seem to be forgetting that I stay here .

You seem to forget that house owners often have no idea of where service
shut offs are, wouldn't know a waste from a saxaphone, let alone the variety
of plumbing systems used over the last 40 years.

I fitted the existing bath and I know what is going to be involved .

Then why didn'y you make that clear instead of wasting everybodys time??

All in all I'm wondering why I'm even getting someone else to fit it
but it's only because the insurance are paying and if they damage it
then they can replace it .

Then I trust you have explained to your contractor exactly what you have
just explained to me.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:04:11 +0100, Stuart wrote:

All in all I'm wondering why I'm even getting someone else to fit it but it's
only because the insurance are paying and if they damage it then they can
replace it .

True, remember that unless the old bath isn't fitted well or is
freestanding you will end up needing to angle grind through the bath to
make sure you don't pull away huge chunks of wall.

Once you have included the removal, fitting taps and waste to the batch
then fitting them in, leveling and resealing, the estimate of a day isn't
too far of the mark. I think it took about 5-6 hours when me and a mate
did it the other week.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 07:31:49 GMT, Steve wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:04:11 +0100, Stuart wrote:

All in all I'm wondering why I'm even getting someone else to fit it but it's
only because the insurance are paying and if they damage it then they can
replace it .

True, remember that unless the old bath isn't fitted well or is
freestanding you will end up needing to angle grind through the bath to
make sure you don't pull away huge chunks of wall.

Once you have included the removal, fitting taps and waste to the bath
then fitting them in, leveling and resealing, the estimate of a day isn't
too far of the mark. I think it took about 5-6 hours when me and a mate
did it the other week.

Steve

The bath ( acrylic) has already been out a couple of times recently when I was
detiling and Aquapanelling the walls so removing it ( I'm doing that) isn't a
problem .

I'll work on a max of 3 hours which one contractor who phoned me this morning
has said is reasonable given what I have told him about what is required .

I've got another guy coming tomorrow to quote so we'll se what he says given
that he will actually see the situation and not quote by 'phone

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-25 00:04:11 +0100, Stuart said:

[...]

Exactly the same as if I had bought the bath myself . I'll just need to be
careful .We are back full circle to the " Tile then Bath" or " Bath then Tile"
argument aren't we .:-)

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:04:33 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Stuart wrote:

A DAY .???

Depends on what the contractor finds.......

Turning off hot and cold ?.................a screwdriver to turn the
supply off on the feed pipes below the bath taps

Assuming they are fitted - I've spent half an hour finding a stopcock before
now because the house owner didn't have a clue where it was. Service valves
are rare - trust me.

They are fitted. I know cos I fitted them .

Removing old bath .? .............. I'll do that myself beforehand
.It is acrylic as will be the new one .

You didn't provide either piece of information in your post. Big
Difference. Are you supplying the new bath or is the contractor?

I am arranging supply of bath .

[...]

Yes ..and one is actually coming out tomorrow to see what's what .

Stuart .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-25 09:54:13 +0100, Stuart said:

[...]

I was thinking more in terms of getting the installer to do the other
jobs as well if you are concerned about risk. Presumably this is an
accidental damage claim - won't the insurer pay for the whole job less
an excess?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-25 09:54:13 +0100, Stuart said:

[...]

As you say It is an AD claim but I have taken the opportunity to retile the
walls and get the floor sanded ( with the panels not fitted) at the same time
so I can really only claim for the bath and fitting . So long as the bath is
fitted to a height that suits the panels I can refit them myself once other
things are completed .

Stuart