Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Calculator For Gas Meter

i want to know how much i am going to pay for gas.

is there a Calculator that i can put my old reading and my new one ?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov 2006 07:00:28 -0800, "Golan" wrote:

i want to know how much i am going to pay for gas.

is there a Calculator that i can put my old reading and my new one ?

Thanks

You should see advice from the wise sage that you pay your money to.
They'll tell you how much they'll be extorting from you in exchange
for gas.
Do you have an old bill? I think it explains the caluculation on
there.
--
Free Christmas Cards
http://www.christmasfreebies.co.uk/christmas-cards.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Golan wrote:

is there a Calculator that i can put my old reading and my new one ?

Any calculator will do.

Assuming an imperial meter (still the more common):

1. Subtract previous reading from current one to get consumption in
100's of cu. ft.

2. Multiply by 2.83 to get consumption in cubic metres. (Omit this
step if you have a metric meter, which reads directly in m^3.)

3. Multiply by the volume conversion factor of 1.02264 to correct for
temperature and pressure. (Step can be omitted if you only want
a rough answer).

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas bill) to
get consumption in Megajoules.

5. Divide by 3.6 to get consumption in kilowatt-hours.

6. Multiply by price per kWh to get billed amount, ex. VAT, taking
any price thresholds into account (e.g. x p/kWh for first 200 kWh
and y p/kWh for the remainder).

7. Add standing charge, if any, and 5% VAT.

Very roughly one "unit" (100 ft^3) on an imperial meter corresponds to
about 32 kWh, assuming a typical CV of 39.5 MJ/m^3.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Golan wrote:

i want to know how much i am going to pay for gas.

is there a Calculator that i can put my old reading and my new one ?

Thanks

Your gas meter measures the *volume* of gas which you use - either in cubic
feet or cubic metres, depending on the meter. You pay for it in
*kilowatt_hours* (same as electricity).

On order to work out the cost, you need to:
* convert the meter reading into kW.Hrs
* multiply by the cost per kW.Hr

As others have said, the factors for converting meter reading into kW.Hrs
(including the calorific value of the gas, which varies from month to month)
should be shown on a recent gas bill - probably on the back.

Work through an existing bill, and make sure you get the right answer. Then
apply the same principles to your current readings.

Don't forget that, to get the total cost, you'll have to add an appropriate
amount of standing charge or - if on a tariff with no standing charge -
you'll need to take account of the fact that the first so many units per
quarter are dearer than the subsequent units.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas bill) to
get consumption in Megajoules.

I've always wondered why this is required. Does the calorific value vary ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:57:06 UTC, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"
wrote:

Andy Wade wrote:

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas bill) to
get consumption in Megajoules.

I've always wondered why this is required. Does the calorific value vary ?

Yes. Not by much, but yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Wade wrote:

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas bill) to
get consumption in Megajoules.

I've always wondered why this is required. Does the calorific value vary ?

Yes. Not by much, but yes.

when I worked for BG, one of my jobs was to tabulate the output from
the terminals of CV into a graph.

Suppliers were "fined" for gas which fell below a certain CV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

Andy Wade wrote:

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas
bill) to get consumption in Megajoules.

I've always wondered why this is required. Does the calorific value
vary ?

Yes, a bit. Looking at mine for the last 3 years, it has ranged from 39.0 to
39.6 - not a massive amount, but about 1.5%

--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

Andy Wade wrote:

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas
bill) to get consumption in Megajoules.

I've always wondered why this is required. Does the calorific value
vary ?

Yes, a bit. Looking at mine for the last 3 years, it has ranged from 39.0
to 39.6 - not a massive amount, but about 1.5%

Same here. Ranges from 30.9 to 40.7 over the last 5 years

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
(snip)
Very roughly one "unit" (100 ft^3) on an imperial meter corresponds to
about 32 kWh, assuming a typical CV of 39.5 MJ/m^3.

Very roughly, one unit costs about 90p if the user is on a sensible
tariff ;-)

HTH.

--
"Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas
bill) to get consumption in Megajoules.

I've always wondered why this is required. Does the calorific value
vary ?

Yes, a bit. Looking at mine for the last 3 years, it has ranged from 39.0 to
39.6 - not a massive amount, but about 1.5%

Am I right in guessing that a higher calorific value means that more
energy is released when the gas is burnt ?

Is this just the gas companies fleecing people, or does it cost them
more to supply gas with a higher calorific value ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

4. Multiply by the declared calorific value (CV - see last gas
bill) to get consumption in Megajoules.
I've always wondered why this is required. Does the calorific value
vary ?

Yes, a bit. Looking at mine for the last 3 years, it has ranged from
39.0 to 39.6 - not a massive amount, but about 1.5%

Am I right in guessing that a higher calorific value means that more
energy is released when the gas is burnt ?

Yes

Is this just the gas companies fleecing people, or does it cost them
more to supply gas with a higher calorific value ?

Don't know about the cost to them, but you're paying for *energy*, so can't
really complain.

Same with electricity. If the voltage goes up, you get less amps per
kilowatt - but it doesn't matter.
--
Cheers,
Roger