Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing a ball valve in the loft

Hi

I have a cold water tank in the loft, and my overflow pipe drips
outside, I think it is because the ball valve may be long overdue to be
changed. Is this a reason for the overflow to be dripping.

How do I go about such a job? is it really as easy as changing it like
for like ? I dont want to pay £75 for a quick job that I can do
myself. How long is such a job likely to take me ?

Any help would me much appreciated.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi

I have a cold water tank in the loft, and my overflow pipe drips
outside, I think it is because the ball valve may be long overdue to be
changed. Is this a reason for the overflow to be dripping.

How do I go about such a job? is it really as easy as changing it like
for like ? I dont want to pay £75 for a quick job that I can do
myself. How long is such a job likely to take me ?

Any help would me much appreciated.

Cheers
===========================

If you don't know anything about ball valves then:
1. Turn water supply to the valve off.
2. Remove old valve, noting how it is installed, and take to a plumbers
merchant for a matching replacement.
3. Install new ball valve and turn water supply back on.
4. Check for leaks and ensure that the water level is correct - not rising
upwards to the overflow pipe -adjust if necessary.

Actual removal and replacement is a 5 minute job (famous last words).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I have a cold water tank in the loft, and my overflow pipe drips
outside, I think it is because the ball valve may be long overdue to be
changed. Is this a reason for the overflow to be dripping.

How do I go about such a job? is it really as easy as changing it like
for like ? I dont want to pay £75 for a quick job that I can do
myself. How long is such a job likely to take me ?

Any help would me much appreciated.

Cheers

The job itself is dead easy

Turn off water, undo old valve with a wrench remove valve and sealing
washer, fit new washer, screw on new valve, turn on water adjust ball valve
to correct height

Repair kits cost less than £1.00 for new rubber and sealing washer so remove
valve as above put new bits in and replace

However this assumes:

That you have a means of getting into your loft

That you can find the stop tap and turn it off (not always easy)

That you can gain access to the valve (e.g. that the tank is not jammed
against the rafters requiring draining disconnecting and moving to gain
access)

That the tank is not an old galvanised one where any attempt to work on the
valve results in damage to the tank

That the valve is not a brass one where everything has seized

Or as happened to me once where a room had been created in the loft space
and the tank was behind the walls and the access panel had been decorated
over

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:06:46 UTC, "David"
wrote:

Thank you so much to all of you that replied, helping with this
problem. I will give it a go. Much better that paying someone to do it.

Check the float doesn't have water in it...