Jeremy Collins

Default Noisy new float valve in loft

Hi all,

I've replaced the float valve in my loft header tank (the old
one was knackered and the tank was leaking from the overflow).

But the new valve is *much* noisier (despite being identical
in appearance).

Is there anything I can do to reduce the sound of a giant khazi
filling over my head? Or do I just have to get used to it?

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Jeremy Collins

Woodspoiler wrote:
Rather than fiddle with what was probably a cheap iterm,

Err, you guessed it - 3.99 from B&Q. I'm not the most confident
DIY plumber in the world, so I went for the thing that looked
identical to the existing valve.

why not fit something like this:
They are fast and quiet. I bought mine a while ago and it was
sold specifically for header tanks. This one seems to be suitable
for toilet cisterns & headers.

Ah, OK. Actually that may also fix my slow-filling lav too. I'll
order a couple next time I need some stuff from Screwfix.

I should probably try to get at least a couple of week's use out
of my 4 quid valve, and it's so bloody hot in the loft I don't mind
waiting :-)

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

IMM

"Jeremy Collins" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've replaced the float valve in my loft header tank (the old
one was knackered and the tank was leaking from the overflow).

But the new valve is *much* noisier (despite being identical
in appearance).

Is there anything I can do to reduce the sound of a giant khazi
filling over my head? Or do I just have to get used to it?

You may want to insert an in-line service valve in the pipe. Open the ball
valve fully and see if the overflow can take the flow. If the flow is too
high then reduce to suit. If a valve goes then you will have a rather wet
ceiling which may come down if it happens when you are out, as the overflow
can't cope,

---

Jeremy Collins

IMM wrote:
"Jeremy Collins" wrote in message

I've replaced the float valve in my loft header tank (the old
one was knackered and the tank was leaking from the overflow).

You may want to insert an in-line service valve in the pipe. Open the ball
valve fully and see if the overflow can take the flow. If the flow is too
high then reduce to suit. If a valve goes then you will have a rather wet
ceiling which may come down if it happens when you are out, as the overflow
can't cope,

I agree that service valves are a Good Thing (the plumbing in this
house had NONE grrrr), but in this case I think I'll leave it.

The overflow is quite fat & steep, and coped with a very knackered
float valve. Besides, looking at the mechanics of the thing, even
when the valve failed the pressure was still reduced quite a lot as
the float arm was floating and restricting the flow into the tank.

If that makes any sense.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Paul Hewish

Jeremy
I think Christian, in his posting, gets to the source of your problem. Your
original kit may have had a, probably brass, filler tube going below the
surface, so you would not have heard much filling noise. You can't get them
any more as they break the water bylaws because of syphoning. The new way,
as Christian mentions, is for a long flacid plastic thing to replace the
open brass filler pipe.
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 15, 2003 at 8:53:50 AM UTC+1, Jeremy Collins wrote:
Hi all,

I've replaced the float valve in my loft header tank (the old
one was knackered and the tank was leaking from the overflow).

But the new valve is *much* noisier (despite being identical
in appearance).

Is there anything I can do to reduce the sound of a giant khazi
filling over my head? Or do I just have to get used to it?

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Fit a 'Henson Delay Valve' it will cure your problem and cure water hammer. Can be got from e-bay
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Friday, August 15, 2003 at 8:53:50 AM UTC+1, Jeremy Collins wrote:
Hi all,

I've replaced the float valve in my loft header tank (the old
one was knackered and the tank was leaking from the overflow).

But the new valve is *much* noisier (despite being identical
in appearance).

Is there anything I can do to reduce the sound of a giant khazi
filling over my head? Or do I just have to get used to it?

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Fit a 'Henson Delay Valve' it will cure your problem and cure water
hammer. Can be got from e-bay

Nothing like good impartial advice, 12 years after it was requested. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

2003?
Blimey.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
wrote in message
On Friday, August 15, 2003 at 8:53:50 AM UTC+1, Jeremy Collins wrote:
Hi all,

I've replaced the float valve in my loft header tank (the old
one was knackered and the tank was leaking from the overflow).

But the new valve is *much* noisier (despite being identical
in appearance).

Is there anything I can do to reduce the sound of a giant khazi
filling over my head? Or do I just have to get used to it?

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Fit a 'Henson Delay Valve' it will cure your problem and cure water
hammer. Can be got from e-bay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:12:45 -0000 (UTC), Tim+

On Friday, August 15, 2003 at 8:53:50 AM UTC+1, Jeremy Collins wrote:
Hi all,

I've replaced the float valve in my loft header tank (the old
one was knackered and the tank was leaking from the overflow).

But the new valve is *much* noisier (despite being identical
in appearance).

Is there anything I can do to reduce the sound of a giant khazi
filling over my head? Or do I just have to get used to it?

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Fit a 'Henson Delay Valve' it will cure your problem and cure water
hammer. Can be got from e-bay

Nothing like good impartial advice, 12 years after it was requested. ;-)

Tim

Perhaps his computer has a Henson Delay valve fitted.

G.Harman