Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which plastic for my application?

Hi there

Im trying to decide which kind of plastic i need to buy to make a
"belly pan" for a land based buggy. The buggy has a fabric seat that is
suspended in a frame and hangs close to the ground. I need something
that will protect my arse from potential obstacles as well as keeping
the seat dry in wetter conditions.

I need the plastic to be shatter resistant - sharp edges if it cracked
would not be pleasant, relatively flexible so that i can bend it to the
shape of the seat (a deflection of appoximately 1ft over a 3ft
distance) and preferably get it to retain its form when im not sat in
it. Of course, it needs to be a strong as possible.

Availability in a number of colours would be useful too.

Also needs to be relatively easy to cut and drill.

Cheap would be good!!!

Any help would be great

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Mark Trueman writes
Hi there

Im trying to decide which kind of plastic i need to buy to make a
"belly pan" for a land based buggy. The buggy has a fabric seat that is
suspended in a frame and hangs close to the ground. I need something
that will protect my arse from potential obstacles as well as keeping
the seat dry in wetter conditions.

I need the plastic to be shatter resistant - sharp edges if it cracked
would not be pleasant, relatively flexible so that i can bend it to the
shape of the seat (a deflection of appoximately 1ft over a 3ft
distance) and preferably get it to retain its form when im not sat in
it. Of course, it needs to be a strong as possible.

Availability in a number of colours would be useful too.

Also needs to be relatively easy to cut and drill.

Polypropylene sounds right for the job, tough and shatter resistant (it's
what beer crates are made off). Wasn't sure if it was readily available in
sheet but a quick google shows 3mm sheet from these bods:
http://www.westwardplastics.co.uk/b_hyclad.php
, no prices though.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there

Im trying to decide which kind of plastic i need to buy to make a
"belly pan" for a land based buggy. The buggy has a fabric seat that is
suspended in a frame and hangs close to the ground. I need something
that will protect my arse from potential obstacles as well as keeping
the seat dry in wetter conditions.

Don't forget, your mum or dad will also need a place to put the shopping..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Andrews wrote:
"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there

Im trying to decide which kind of plastic i need to buy to make a
"belly pan" for a land based buggy. The buggy has a fabric seat that is
suspended in a frame and hangs close to the ground. I need something
that will protect my arse from potential obstacles as well as keeping
the seat dry in wetter conditions.

Don't forget, your mum or dad will also need a place to put the shopping..

Eh?? Simple question, why the rather strange answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Andrews wrote:
"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there

Im trying to decide which kind of plastic i need to buy to make a
"belly pan" for a land based buggy. The buggy has a fabric seat that is
suspended in a frame and hangs close to the ground. I need something
that will protect my arse from potential obstacles as well as keeping
the seat dry in wetter conditions.

Don't forget, your mum or dad will also need a place to put the
shopping..

Eh?? Simple question, why the rather strange answer.

LOL just a bit of fun. Most buggies I see are being pushed around Tescos..