Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Which plastic for my application?

In article . com,
Mark Trueman writes
Hi there

Im trying to decide which kind of plastic i need to buy to make a
"belly pan" for a land based buggy. The buggy has a fabric seat that is
suspended in a frame and hangs close to the ground. I need something
that will protect my arse from potential obstacles as well as keeping
the seat dry in wetter conditions.

I need the plastic to be shatter resistant - sharp edges if it cracked
would not be pleasant, relatively flexible so that i can bend it to the
shape of the seat (a deflection of appoximately 1ft over a 3ft
distance) and preferably get it to retain its form when im not sat in
it. Of course, it needs to be a strong as possible.

Availability in a number of colours would be useful too.

Also needs to be relatively easy to cut and drill.

Polypropylene sounds right for the job, tough and shatter resistant (it's
what beer crates are made off). Wasn't sure if it was readily available in
sheet but a quick google shows 3mm sheet from these bods:
http://www.westwardplastics.co.uk/b_hyclad.php
, no prices though.
--
fred