Posted to uk.d-i-y
Liz Liz is offline

Default Cheap bathroom suite ideas please

My landlady has everso generously offered to spend £300 on a new
bathroom for the house I rent. The deal is that my contribution will
be either to pay to have it installed, decorating, tiling etc or do it
myself. Other than installation I can do the rest myself for very
little. I particularly want a professional to do the plumbing even
though its a straight replacement as I'm not convinced the original
plumbing is right and want it double checked.
So where might I find a suite from, and what would be the cheapest way
to go about this - I was wondering about ebay or something similar -
are there other good sources? I've checked the obvious sheds. As the
bathroom is small it needs a 'compact' type bath which is more
expensive. Just straightforward, plain, white would be fine.

Any ideas very gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Liz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liz wrote:

My landlady has everso generously offered to spend £300 on a new
bathroom for the house I rent. The deal is that my contribution will
be either to pay to have it installed, decorating, tiling etc or do it
myself. Other than installation I can do the rest myself for very
little. I particularly want a professional to do the plumbing even
though its a straight replacement as I'm not convinced the original
plumbing is right and want it double checked.
So where might I find a suite from, and what would be the cheapest way
to go about this - I was wondering about ebay or something similar -
are there other good sources? I've checked the obvious sheds. As the
bathroom is small it needs a 'compact' type bath which is more
expensive. Just straightforward, plain, white would be fine.

Any ideas very gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Liz

Sorry to break it to you - you'll not get a new suite for 300 - more like
700 upwards for something cheap from B&Q.

If everythings going bang in the same place, you might get a plumber/fitter
to put it in for 300 give or take.

However, an idea comes to mind... Find a local bathroom fitter with a good
reputation and perhaps ask him if he'd be interested in refitting a second
hand suite that he's just ripped out of someone else's house? Saves him
disposal costs and some people replace entire perfectly good suites just
because they don't like the colour. Bit mad - but an idea nonetheless...

ebay will be worth a look if anything local shows up, otherwise transport
costs will be impractical.

Even with a second hand suite, the budget is tight to say the least - but
necessity is the mother of invention so it may be do-able.

Cheers,

Tim

Tiling and painting are things you can do yourself - tiling is
straightforward, just read a book and cheap tiles can be had.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 23:41:45 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Liz wrote:

[...]

£279 plus delivery

£219 plus delivery
etc,etc

End panels extra .Front Panel supplied

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liz wrote:

[...]

£700 for a cheap suite from B+Q.You are joking surely .??

Check here also

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1591-0000
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liz wrote:

[...]

I have a local builders' merchant that does no-nonsense white bathroom
separates for not much money, always worth a look at a local version of
same,

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:

£700 for a cheap suite from B+Q.You are joking surely .??

No, just picked a few random ones and that seemed to be the lower figure...
Never seen anything much cheaper on display anywhere, but then I do live in
the SE!

Check here also

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1591-0000

Well, I am surprised (and corrected) - didn't imagine it was possible.
Still leaves the fitting though so I think good second hand and use some of
the 300 towards a plumber is the way to go - whatever change is left, use
it on paint and tiles.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Stuart wrote:

£700 for a cheap suite from B+Q.You are joking surely .??

No, just picked a few random ones and that seemed to be the lower figure....
Never seen anything much cheaper on display anywhere, but then I do live in
the SE!

Even in the SE, there's cheap stuff (not all of it tat) to be had. I'm
in SE
London and although we do have the posh bathroom shops, we also have
places such as www.bathroomdiscountgreenwich.co.uk where the cheapest
suite is something like £219. (Cheapest on the site seems to be
£249.)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Liz" wrote in message
ups.com...
My landlady has everso generously offered to spend £300 on a new
bathroom for the house I rent. The deal is that my contribution will
be either to pay to have it installed, decorating, tiling etc or do it
myself. Other than installation I can do the rest myself for very
little. I particularly want a professional to do the plumbing even
though its a straight replacement as I'm not convinced the original
plumbing is right and want it double checked.
So where might I find a suite from, and what would be the cheapest way
to go about this - I was wondering about ebay or something similar -
are there other good sources? I've checked the obvious sheds. As the
bathroom is small it needs a 'compact' type bath which is more
expensive. Just straightforward, plain, white would be fine.

Any ideas very gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Liz

Shop around. Companies near me sell the lot for £200. Better quality than
the crap B&Q have.
The landlady shouldn't be expecting you to pay anything - she is responsible
under the tenancy agreement for the full costs. You need to remind her as
she is trying to screw you for more money! You are mad for not telling her.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Norm wrote:
"Liz" wrote in message

ups.com...
My landlady has everso generously offered to spend £300 on a new
bathroom for the house I rent. The deal is that my contribution will
be either to pay to have it installed, decorating, tiling etc or do it
myself. Other than installation I can do the rest myself for very
little. I particularly want a professional to do the plumbing even
though its a straight replacement as I'm not convinced the original
plumbing is right and want it double checked.

The landlady shouldn't be expecting you to pay anything - she is responsible
under the tenancy agreement for the full costs. You need to remind her as
she is trying to screw you for more money! You are mad for not telling her.

it depends on the reason. If it needs replacing, get her to do it all
and redecorate, at her expense. If otoh you just fancy a different
style, lucky she's willing to put some money up.

I'd concentrate on what gives best result per spend. One handy thing is
a window lock that enables the windwo to be key locked 1/4" open. This
means ventilation all summer long, with no worries about security or
insurance issues.

Tiled floors are nice, and can be had almost free if youre wiling to
take related oddments and do a nice geometric pattern with them. By
related I mean same surface finish, generally compatible looking.

Getting a pro in wont make much difference re the plumbing. Chances are
theyll just bodge it up however will work.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Liz Liz is offline

Just to say a big thank you to everyone for some great ideas, will
follow these up.

Yes, tiles, paint etc is cheap and I've done plenty of that before.

As far as responsibility is concerned, I suppose its a matter of
standards, how do you judge when a bathroom is past its use by date?
My landlady might not mind bathing in a stained bath where the previous
tenant has left burn rings round the side from smoking in there and
propping her fag up on the side, and the whole suite was so badly
fitted in the first place that the sink has never met a spirit level
etc etc etc. The loo and sink are scratched, possibly because they had
to use industrial strength cleaners on the place after the previous
tenant left, So as my standards are higher, that's why the deal was
struck. And the rent is still ridiculously low to take account of the
state of the place in general.

And I love it and couldn't ever buy anything similar so am prepared to
do what I have to to make it comfortable for me for the next 5 years or
so.

Anyway, off to do my research, thanks again - don't any of you lot go
to bed at night??

Liz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liz wrote:
struck. And the rent is still ridiculously low to take account of the
state of the place in general.

And I love it and couldn't ever buy anything similar so am prepared to
do what I have to to make it comfortable for me for the next 5 years or
so.

And what if your landlady decides that particularly once the bathroom
has been upgraded (at the laughably low cost to her of 300 quid), the
property is now worth a lot more in rent (or to sell)?

You do know that she's perfectly within her rights to give you 2
months' notice to quit, without having to give any reason?

Cynic, moi?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Liz wrote:
My landlady has everso generously offered to spend £300 on a new
bathroom for the house I rent. The deal is that my contribution will
be either to pay to have it installed, decorating, tiling etc or do it
myself. Other than installation I can do the rest myself for very
little.

My first thought is your landlord is taking the p**s. A new bathroom makes
the property much more desirable, so unless you've got some guarantee
about future rent increases etc...

I particularly want a professional to do the plumbing even
though its a straight replacement as I'm not convinced the original
plumbing is right and want it double checked.

In what way isn't it right? If it's just a leak or whatever, replacing the
suite might sort it. But if it's poor flow of some sort changing pipework
to sort that can be very expensive.

So where might I find a suite from, and what would be the cheapest way
to go about this - I was wondering about ebay or something similar -
are there other good sources? I've checked the obvious sheds. As the
bathroom is small it needs a 'compact' type bath which is more
expensive. Just straightforward, plain, white would be fine.

Get a copy of Yellow Pages and check out all the local plumbers merchants.
But look out for extras. The deal you get from the likes of B&Q might be
hard to beat in this case.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liz wrote:
My landlady has everso generously offered to spend £300 on a new
bathroom for the house I rent. The deal is that my contribution will
be either to pay to have it installed, decorating, tiling etc or do it
myself. Other than installation I can do the rest myself for very
little. I particularly want a professional to do the plumbing even
though its a straight replacement as I'm not convinced the original
plumbing is right and want it double checked.
So where might I find a suite from, and what would be the cheapest way
to go about this - I was wondering about ebay or something similar -
are there other good sources? I've checked the obvious sheds. As the
bathroom is small it needs a 'compact' type bath which is more
expensive. Just straightforward, plain, white would be fine.

Any ideas very gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Liz

Liz. The cheapest way to get a suite is one of the 'offers' from the
sheds - like B & Q.

This will be fairly dire, but with a little effort and expense, can be
made a bit better.

The bath will be terribly thing and flexible, but bits of wood glued
onto the back it with car body filler stiffen these crap baths up amazingly.

The taps will be pretty vile style wise, but can be replaced, or you may
find a package deal with no taps.

Spend the money on TILES of QUALITY. The overall result will look much
better.

Plumbing is not that hard.

learn to tile yourself.

Humidity operated bathroom vents Paul UK diy 2 November 28th 05 05:07 PM
CAX, CAD, CAM, CAE, electronics, EDA, LSI, PCB, FPGA, VHDL, & Other Design CDs ::::::: , updated 03/Feb/2005 futa Metalworking 0 February 5th 05 06:13 PM
CAX,CAD,CAM,CAE,electronics,EDA.LSI,PCB,FPGA,VHDL,&Other Design CDs ::::::: , updated 12/Jan/2005 ola Electronics Repair 0 January 14th 05 03:05 PM
fitting bathroom suite Paul UK diy 1 March 24th 04 04:38 AM
Screwfix Bathroom Suite Rod Hewitt UK diy 1 July 29th 03 06:41 AM