Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cellar paint

I want to put a toilet in my cellar - (kids getting bigger an all that)
and have been reading the topics about macerators with interest.

I'm not worried about it being a bit damp and have installed a
dehumidifier to keep a lid on the damp levels

I'm not quite at that 'intallation of toilet' stage yet and want to
look at a suitable paint for the walls. I was favouring either external
brickwork paint or cellar paint but the walls have been previously
painted and despite some work I can't get it back to the bare brick.

What covering do you suggest thats not going to flake etc.

Cheers in advance

Jacko

Posted to uk.d-i-y
6 6 is offline

"Jacko" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to put a toilet in my cellar - (kids getting bigger an all that)
and have been reading the topics about macerators with interest.

I'm not worried about it being a bit damp and have installed a
dehumidifier to keep a lid on the damp levels

I'm not quite at that 'intallation of toilet' stage yet and want to
look at a suitable paint for the walls. I was favouring either external
brickwork paint or cellar paint but the walls have been previously
painted and despite some work I can't get it back to the bare brick.

What covering do you suggest thats not going to flake etc.

Cheers in advance

Given that most cellars have some form of access to the outside world it
might be prudent to install an extractor unit to remove the pongs and also
help circulate the air,

As for wall covering I would go for a microporous paint to allow the walls
to breath and therefore not crumble because of the retrained dampness
behind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice

Any idea of the actual paint names and suggested good brands - I'm new
to this forum so if this isn't allowed please send me an email direct

Thanks again

6 wrote:
"Jacko" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov 2006 09:46:23 -0800, "Jacko" wrote:

I'd use traditional white limewash with a slug of PVA added to help it
glue to the painted areas. White limewash is whiter than white, doesnt
change colour in the damp (coloured limewash does change), it is cheap
and if applied correctly it is not dusty

The gotchas

You will have to source some lime putty. White limewash = lime putty +
water. Lime putty costs about £20 for a big tub which will last
forever. Where in the country are you?

Limewashing is not rocket science but also not quite so idiot proof as
modern paint so find some instructions on the internet and read them
before you begin. It sets by absorbing CO2 and cellars tend to be a
bit stagnant so I suggest you put a fan in the cellar for a few days
to waft the air around

Anna

Thanks for the advice

Any idea of the actual paint names and suggested good brands - I'm new
to this forum so if this isn't allowed please send me an email direct

Thanks again

6 wrote:
"Jacko" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
On 4 Nov 2006 09:46:23 -0800, "Jacko" wrote:

I'd use traditional white limewash with a slug of PVA added to help it
glue to the painted areas. White limewash is whiter than white, doesnt
change colour in the damp (coloured limewash does change), it is cheap
and if applied correctly it is not dusty

The gotchas

You will have to source some lime putty. White limewash = lime putty +
water. Lime putty costs about £20 for a big tub which will last
forever. Where in the country are you?

Limewashing is not rocket science but also not quite so idiot proof as
modern paint so find some instructions on the internet and read them
before you begin. It sets by absorbing CO2 and cellars tend to be a
bit stagnant so I suggest you put a fan in the cellar for a few days
to waft the air around

Anna

You know, Anna, I was going to suggest limewash but a) wasn't sure if you
can still buy it and b) didn't want to cause scorn. I'm glad you did :-)

Ah, the old days of limewashing the cellars, the outside lav, the pantry -
especially just before labour began ... it takes me back!

Mary