Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Home Strip" paint stripper

I don't often do this sort of thing but I want to share my experience
with "Home Strip" paint stripper which I tried for the first time the
other day. In short, I am very impressed with it. I am providing this
for the benefit of anyone who might be looking for a suitable product.
I have no connecton with the company - I am just a satisfied customer.

I got a small tub as a trial. It is very pleasant to work with - water
based and no fumes. It comes in a thick gel-like form - a bit like
thick wallpaper paste. It is thick enough to be painted on horizontal,
downward facing, surfaces and stay on. It's probably best not to get
it on your hands but, if you do, it doesn't burn your skin off like
Nitromors and similar.

I was stripping wood in a 30s house - a door frame that has never been
stripped. The instructions say that for large numbers of coats, the
stripper should be left for an hour, the paint then stripped as far as
possible with a knife or stainless steel scourer, and then treated
again with the stripper, covered and left overnight. I was
disappointed by my first experiment, where I followed these
instructions. The paint didn't seem to come off very well after the
first application. I should say that the paint appears to be in two
groups of layers - the outer one that becomes pliable and sheet-like
when subject to various forms of stripping, and the one beneath with
becomes more 'gunk'-like. I imagine that this is the boundary between
the old lead-based and newer non-lead based paints. Anyway, just
leaving for an hour, what I was seeing was that the outer layer was not
being sufficiently penetrated to come off easily and just parts of it
were coming off in very small bits.

Next time I decided to leave the first coat overnight. I used pieces
of plastic decorating dust sheets taped with masking tape and sealing
it as well as I could. This was much more effective. Next morning, I
used a stripping knife to get the top layers off. It came off in nice
big sheets with relatively little mess. I then treated the remaining
paint with another application of the gel. I had been careful when I
folded back the plastic sheet, so I was able to reuse it and leave the
area covered over again for most of the day. Later, in the afternoon,
I went back to it and the remaining gunk came off a treat using a
combination of a stripping knife and a stainless steel scourer for the
odd slightly more awkward bits.

In summary, although it took a long time in elapsed time, the time I
was actually working on this was very short. I have previously used
hot air guns and Nitromors-type strippers and these were much harder
work and created more mess. To be fair, I imagine that Nitromors would
be more effective if covered and left to work overnight, but it is much
nastier to work with and I would be less happy in having it hanging
around.

I hope this is of some use to some one.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't often do this sort of thing but I want to share my experience
with "Home Strip" paint stripper which I tried for the first time the
other day. In short, I am very impressed with it. I am providing this
for the benefit of anyone who might be looking for a suitable product.
I have no connecton with the company - I am just a satisfied customer.

.... snip instructions/experience

I hope this is of some use to some one.

It's very timely, Bob, thank you.

Mary

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:55:16 -0800, bob.smithson wrote:

[...]

================================
I think Nitromors attacks most plastics so choice of any covering material
could be critical.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't often do this sort of thing but I want to share my experience
with "Home Strip" paint stripper which I tried for the first time the
other day. In short, I am very impressed with it. I am providing this
for the benefit of anyone who might be looking for a suitable product.
I have no connecton with the company - I am just a satisfied customer.

But WTF is in it? From the manufacturers web site - "
You say your products are safe, but you do not say on the label what it
contains

Eco Solutions' products are mainly water - it is the innovativeness of the
invention which causes the water to soften, remove paints and other
finishes. Eco Solutions' products have a CE mark for safety and are
classified as safe for use by children of 5 years+. (DIYers are becoming
younger every day!)"

Bit of a strange policy to not say the active ingredient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HLAH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It makes perfect sense if they don't want competitors to follow suit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
news
HLAH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Why would competitors want to follow suit and not list ingredients in their
products?

Not stating what is in an "environmentally friendly" product to the sort of
customer that would worry that a product may contain for example dihydrogen
monoxide, seems a folly to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HLAH wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
news
HLAH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

N-methylpyrrolidinone is apparently the active ingredient. Try asking
for that at your local chemist!

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...bl=chem&id=211

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 08:06:49 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

N-methylpyrrolidinone is apparently the active ingredient. Try asking
for that at your local chemist!

Stuart, I think you've got that wrong. As I read it
"N-methylpiripiridanone" is listed as a nasty it *doesn't* contain.

"We've gone far beyond producing another hazardous solvent-based
alternative to Methylene Chloride, such as N-Methyl Pyrrolidone (NMP),
Benzyl Alcohol or Dimethyl Sulphoxide. Furthermore, our products do
not contain any caustic or caustic-based derivatives.!

Does rather beg the question as to what it does contain that is strong
enough to break down resins polymers etc. but does not attack skin,
eyes, lungs etc ?

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Not stating what is in an "environmentally friendly" product to the sort
of customer that would worry that a product may contain for example
dihydrogen monoxide, seems a folly to me.

Why do you think people who care about the environment are daft?

It's BECAUSE I know about various sciences that I am concerned about the
environment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:05:35 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Not stating what is in an "environmentally friendly" product to the sort
of customer that would worry that a product may contain for example
dihydrogen monoxide, seems a folly to me.

Why do you think people who care about the environment are daft?

It's BECAUSE I know about various sciences

Tell us what's in it & how it works then.

that I am concerned about the environment.

Then we can satisfy ourselves it is better for the environment.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Not stating what is in an "environmentally friendly" product to the sort
of customer that would worry that a product may contain for example
dihydrogen monoxide, seems a folly to me.

Why do you think people who care about the environment are daft?

As if anyone has ever called you daft Mary.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Not stating what is in an "environmentally friendly" product to the
sort
of customer that would worry that a product may contain for example
dihydrogen monoxide, seems a folly to me.

Why do you think people who care about the environment are daft?

It's BECAUSE I know about various sciences

Tell us what's in it & how it works then.

that I am concerned about the environment.

Then we can satisfy ourselves it is better for the environment.

Having had a little think about this I wonder if the reason they won't say
is maybe because the active ingredient has unsavoury associations. Date rape
paint stripper anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

N-methylpyrrolidinone is apparently the active ingredient. Try asking
for that at your local chemist!

Stuart, I think you've got that wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time:-) I actually enquired on sci.chem about this
a while back and am just quoting the reply. Too many syllables for me.

As I read it
"N-methylpiripiridanone" is listed as a nasty it *doesn't* contain.

"We've gone far beyond producing another hazardous solvent-based
alternative to Methylene Chloride, such as N-Methyl Pyrrolidone (NMP),
Benzyl Alcohol or Dimethyl Sulphoxide. Furthermore, our products do
not contain any caustic or caustic-based derivatives.!

Does rather beg the question as to what it does contain that is strong
enough to break down resins polymers etc. but does not attack skin,
eyes, lungs etc ?

I'm sure eco strippers are way overpriced, which always makes me
curious. Obviously a lot of surfactants and possibly paraffin? I suppose
it's what the graffiti removal firms use, so shouldn't be that difficult
to track down. I've seen them apply it and hose off in 20 minutes or so.
Brilliant on masonry, probably less so on wood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

I'm sure eco strippers are way overpriced, which always makes me curious.

Depends what you think of as 'over-priced'. The cost to the environment is
worth avoiding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I'm sure eco strippers are way overpriced, which always makes me curious.

Depends what you think of as 'over-priced'. The cost to the environment is
worth avoiding.

You shouldn't have to pay a premium to go green if the vital ingredients
are cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I'm sure eco strippers are way overpriced, which always makes me
curious.

Depends what you think of as 'over-priced'. The cost to the environment
is worth avoiding.

You shouldn't have to pay a premium to go green if the vital ingredients
are cheap.

Suppliers have a lot of costs from overheads and storage of slow-moving
products.

When more people take advantage of the goods the prices will fall.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I'm sure eco strippers are way overpriced, which always makes me
curious.
Depends what you think of as 'over-priced'. The cost to the environment
is worth avoiding.

You shouldn't have to pay a premium to go green if the vital ingredients
are cheap.

Suppliers have a lot of costs from overheads and storage of slow-moving
products.

When more people take advantage of the goods the prices will fall.

Mary

In this case the goods are slow moving because they're expensive...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I'm sure eco strippers are way overpriced, which always makes me
curious.
Depends what you think of as 'over-priced'. The cost to the environment
is worth avoiding.

You shouldn't have to pay a premium to go green if the vital ingredients
are cheap.

Suppliers have a lot of costs from overheads and storage of slow-moving
products.

When more people take advantage of the goods the prices will fall.

Mary

In this case the goods are slow moving because they're expensive...

OK, I'll modify what I said. As more people become environmentally away of
the cost to the environment they'll think less of the cost to their pockets.

We do and we're officially below the poverty line so don't throw 'people
can't afford it' at me :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Not stating what is in an "environmentally friendly" product to the sort
of customer that would worry that a product may contain for example
dihydrogen monoxide, seems a folly to me.

Why do you think people who care about the environment are daft?

It's BECAUSE I know about various sciences that I am concerned about the
environment.

Ahem, I think you'll find that he's taking the p**s out of people who
are dumb enough to not realise that Dihydrogen Monoxide is, well,
extremely dangerous but an excellent chemical to use if you want to wash
things, not calling people who care about the environment daft.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Ultimately, the cost of cleanup of the environment comes out of our [taxed]
pockets anyway, and even buying green doesn't get you out of that one.

A study I saw not long ago, about the cost of supermarket food, put it at
about twice the price you see on the shelves. The half you don't see is
payed for from taxes used to subsidise the industry. So even if you buy from
local suppliers, you are *still* paying for half of everyone else's
groceries at the super market.

I don't think a choice is going to help much in this case. So, do you want
high-VOCs paint stripper for £5 a tin, subsidised to the tune of £5 out of
your taxes (so you have already paid £5 for it, whether you buy it or not),
or do you want to pay £10 for a more environmentally responsible product,
what at the same time, subsidising the other one? That is a no-brainer to
most people;-) The government needs to start removing the subsidies from
many of these unsustainable industries and reveal the true costs. *then*
people can decide where they are going to buy their products.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't often do this sort of thing but I want to share my experience
with "Home Strip" paint stripper which I tried for the first time the
other day. In short, I am very impressed with it. I am providing this
for the benefit of anyone who might be looking for a suitable product.
I have no connecton with the company - I am just a satisfied customer.

I use it too. It is *very* good stuff. It is particularly good at removing
layers of dubious origin from old wood (stuff I have on my Victorian
banisters, for example) and modern wood primers. Nitromors never used to
touch these under-layers.

It still stings if it touches your skin, and gives a kind of 'cool' feeling.
My guess is that there is still some volatile solvent of sorts in there,
though whatever it is, it does not have a smell.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
OK, I'll modify what I said. As more people become environmentally away
of the cost to the environment they'll think less of the cost to their
pockets.

More likely a chance for manufacturers to up their profits.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

. uk...

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Um - I was thinking about personal environment, not the general one -
although that would come second. I don't want the smell of the stuff nor
what it does to surfaces it's not recommended for.

I don't think a choice is going to help much in this case. So, do you want
high-VOCs paint stripper for £5 a tin, subsidised to the tune of £5 out of
your taxes (so you have already paid £5 for it, whether you buy it or
not),

Who says?

or do you want to pay £10 for a more environmentally responsible product,
what at the same time, subsidising the other one?

Given the choice I'll do the latter.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Not stating what is in an "environmentally friendly" product to the
sort
of customer that would worry that a product may contain for example
dihydrogen monoxide, seems a folly to me.

Why do you think people who care about the environment are daft?

It's BECAUSE I know about various sciences that I am concerned about the
environment.

Ahem, I think you'll find that he's taking the p**s out of people who are
dumb enough to not realise that Dihydrogen Monoxide is, well, extremely
dangerous but an excellent chemical to use if you want to wash things, not
calling people who care about the environment daft.

You do?

shrug

What about hydrogen hydroxide?

Now that stuff CAN be dangerous. It kills many people each year. It
dissolves almost everything - eventually. It doesn't taste or smell and has
no colour so you aren't suspicious of it.

shakes head

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

hydrogen hydroxide, Dihydrogen Monoxide - same thing isn't it?

I've heard it can also be detected in rain, just about everywhere in the
world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
You do?

shrug

What about hydrogen hydroxide?

Now that stuff CAN be dangerous. It kills many people each year. It
dissolves almost everything - eventually. It doesn't taste or smell and has
no colour so you aren't suspicious of it.

shakes head

Nasty stuff, I believe many people also use it for leisure purposes,
some of them even immerse themselves in it totally for 'exercise'.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

Well done!

I've heard it can also be detected in rain, just about everywhere in the
world.

Really? They never told me that ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Jason" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Anyway, Swarfega removes oil paint without apparently containing
anything too nasty. Maybe the strippers are just stronger versions of that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:

I use it too. It is *very* good stuff. It is particularly good at removing
layers of dubious origin from old wood (stuff I have on my Victorian
banisters, for example) and modern wood primers. Nitromors never used to
touch these under-layers.

Yes, this was the point I was making that seems to have been missed in
a lot of the debate on this thread - i.e., that it worked really well
for me, full stop, not that it worked well considering it is
environmentally friendly. I didn't really make any claims about its
greenness as I simply don't have the facts or knowledge available to me
to back them up. All I can say is that it is a lot more pleasant to
use than Nitormors and seems to get the job done better. For that, I am
willing to pay a premium, paint stripping being one of my least
favourite jobs.

Having said that, on a volume for volume comparison (not necessarily
valid, I know) it seems to be priced about the same as Nitromors as far
as I can see, depending on where you buy it from.

Bob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyway, Swarfega removes oil paint without apparently containing anything
too nasty. Maybe the strippers are just stronger versions of that.

I' ve never known swarfega removing paintwork on wooden or metal surfaces
.... cleaning paintbrushes are a different matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
news
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
You do?

shrug

What about hydrogen hydroxide?

Now that stuff CAN be dangerous. It kills many people each year. It
dissolves almost everything - eventually. It doesn't taste or smell and
has
no colour so you aren't suspicious of it.

shakes head

Nasty stuff, I believe many people also use it for leisure purposes, some
of them even immerse themselves in it totally for 'exercise'.

sucks in breath

It wouldn't be my choice of suicide ...

Mary
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jason wrote:

I use it too. It is *very* good stuff. It is particularly good at
removing
layers of dubious origin from old wood (stuff I have on my Victorian
banisters, for example) and modern wood primers. Nitromors never used to
touch these under-layers.

Yes, this was the point I was making that seems to have been missed in
a lot of the debate on this thread - i.e., that it worked really well
for me, full stop, not that it worked well considering it is
environmentally friendly. I didn't really make any claims about its
greenness as I simply don't have the facts or knowledge available to me
to back them up.

As far as I could see you said nothing about its greenness :-)

There are some who take the opportunity to knock environmentally friendly
products whether or not that property has been mentioned. I don't know why,
they can't have any axe to grind.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 09:28:21 UTC, Clint Sharp
wrote:

What about hydrogen hydroxide?

Nasty stuff, I believe many people also use it for leisure purposes,
some of them even immerse themselves in it totally for 'exercise'.

Might as well repost this; apologies for the length...

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

The Invisible Killer

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odourless, tasteless,
and kills uncounted thousands of people every year.
Most of these deaths are caused by accidental
inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen
monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its
solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of
DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and
urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea,
vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who
have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain
death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

- is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major
component of acid rain.
- contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
- may cause severe burns.
- contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.

- accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
- may cause electrical failures and decreased
effectiveness of automobile brakes.
- has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer
patients.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in
almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America
today. But the pollution is global, and the
contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO
has caused millions of dollars of property damage in
the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
- as an industrial solvent and coolant.
- in nuclear power plants.
- in the production of styrofoam.
- as a fire retardant.
- in many forms of cruel animal research.
- in the distribution of pesticides. Even after
washing, produce remains contaminated by this
chemical.
- as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other
food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean,
and nothing can be done to stop them because this
practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is
extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the
production, distribution, or use of this damaging
chemical due to its "importance to the economic health
of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military
organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO,
and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control
and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of
military research facilities receive tons of it
through a highly sophisticated underground
distribution network. Many store large quantities for
later use.

It's Not Too Late!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out
more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't
know can hurt you and others throughout the world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

BRILLIANT!

Did you do that by yourself? I'd have liked to :-)

Kept for posterity.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Ah disappointed I see now that it originated in USA.

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out
more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't
know can hurt you and others throughout the world.

Ah disappointed I see now that it originated in USA.

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted :-)

Mary

US web page but you might like it anyway,
http://www.dhmo.org/

contains campaign leaflets etc for you to print off and handout to
concerned members of the public, might even be worth trying it on with
the local paper?
--
Clint Sharp