Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Home Strip" paint stripper

I don't often do this sort of thing but I want to share my experience
with "Home Strip" paint stripper which I tried for the first time the
other day. In short, I am very impressed with it. I am providing this
for the benefit of anyone who might be looking for a suitable product.
I have no connecton with the company - I am just a satisfied customer.

I got a small tub as a trial. It is very pleasant to work with - water
based and no fumes. It comes in a thick gel-like form - a bit like
thick wallpaper paste. It is thick enough to be painted on horizontal,
downward facing, surfaces and stay on. It's probably best not to get
it on your hands but, if you do, it doesn't burn your skin off like
Nitromors and similar.

I was stripping wood in a 30s house - a door frame that has never been
stripped. The instructions say that for large numbers of coats, the
stripper should be left for an hour, the paint then stripped as far as
possible with a knife or stainless steel scourer, and then treated
again with the stripper, covered and left overnight. I was
disappointed by my first experiment, where I followed these
instructions. The paint didn't seem to come off very well after the
first application. I should say that the paint appears to be in two
groups of layers - the outer one that becomes pliable and sheet-like
when subject to various forms of stripping, and the one beneath with
becomes more 'gunk'-like. I imagine that this is the boundary between
the old lead-based and newer non-lead based paints. Anyway, just
leaving for an hour, what I was seeing was that the outer layer was not
being sufficiently penetrated to come off easily and just parts of it
were coming off in very small bits.

Next time I decided to leave the first coat overnight. I used pieces
of plastic decorating dust sheets taped with masking tape and sealing
it as well as I could. This was much more effective. Next morning, I
used a stripping knife to get the top layers off. It came off in nice
big sheets with relatively little mess. I then treated the remaining
paint with another application of the gel. I had been careful when I
folded back the plastic sheet, so I was able to reuse it and leave the
area covered over again for most of the day. Later, in the afternoon,
I went back to it and the remaining gunk came off a treat using a
combination of a stripping knife and a stainless steel scourer for the
odd slightly more awkward bits.

In summary, although it took a long time in elapsed time, the time I
was actually working on this was very short. I have previously used
hot air guns and Nitromors-type strippers and these were much harder
work and created more mess. To be fair, I imagine that Nitromors would
be more effective if covered and left to work overnight, but it is much
nastier to work with and I would be less happy in having it hanging
around.

I hope this is of some use to some one.

Bob