Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disintegrating rubber bands

What's happened to rubber bands? About 10% of my mixed stock are in
various stages of decay. I suppose this is something to do with being
eco friendly, but it means I can't trust them any more for holding stuff
together for more than a few weeks.

Can you still buy good ol' rubber bands? What's the decay process of the
eco ones - does they decay from manufacture or is it initiated by the
first stretch?

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
What's happened to rubber bands? About 10% of my mixed stock are in
various stages of decay. I suppose this is something to do with being
eco friendly, but it means I can't trust them any more for holding stuff
together for more than a few weeks.

Can you still buy good ol' rubber bands? What's the decay process of the
eco ones - does they decay from manufacture or is it initiated by the
first stretch?

Phil

On my experience the old ones used to do what I can only describe as 'melt'
and stick to everything.

Modern, presumably plastic, ones keep good for years.

Light doesn't have a good effect on the old ones.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
What's happened to rubber bands? About 10% of my mixed stock are in
various stages of decay. I suppose this is something to do with being
eco friendly, but it means I can't trust them any more for holding stuff
together for more than a few weeks.

Can you still buy good ol' rubber bands? What's the decay process of the
eco ones - does they decay from manufacture or is it initiated by the
first stretch?

Phil

On my experience the old ones used to do what I can only describe as
'melt' and stick to everything.

Modern, presumably plastic, ones keep good for years.

Light doesn't have a good effect on the old ones.

Mary

I'm guessing at the decay process, but natural rubber is stabilised by a
process called vulcanisation, whereby sulphur creates cross linking between
the rubber molecules, stabilising them. Remove that sulphur, maybe by a
process of oxidation, I don't know, and possibly a stcky natural rubber is
the result again.

Just a guess,

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

You're right but I didn't want to show off :-)

Mary

Just a guess,

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:
What's happened to rubber bands? About 10% of my mixed stock are in
various stages of decay. I suppose this is something to do with being
eco friendly, but it means I can't trust them any more for holding stuff
together for more than a few weeks.

The UV light degrades them. Leave one on the window sill for a few
weeks, and it will just crumble..