N Cook

Default 'melted' gooey rubber drive bands

Went to my collection of assorted bands today and I assume because of summer
heat one had disintegrated into a gooey mess and another one on the way
out.
Anyone any ideas on storing bands eg in a freezer ?, under water ?.
and how to remove the goo thats splurged across adjascent bands.

I'm thinking of dousing all the bands in talcum powder - theory being that
if one goes gooey then the liquid black would stand out against the now
light grey of dusted bands and less likely to stick to adjascent bands.
I'm trying steeping the gooey contaminated bands in washing-up liquid.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Wayne Tiffany

My first thought was that it was not the heat that got them, but
incompatible plastics. I have seen this happen before - a plastic worm
sitting in a plastic tackle box rather than in its bag, finding the plastic
foot of a Woody doll dissolved from touching another plastic doll in the toy
box, etc. Not all combinations do it, but I've seen it several times.

WT

N Cook wrote:
Went to my collection of assorted bands today and I assume because of summer
heat one had disintegrated into a gooey mess and another one on the way
out.
Anyone any ideas on storing bands eg in a freezer ?, under water ?.
and how to remove the goo thats splurged across adjascent bands.
I'm thinking of dousing all the bands in talcum powder - theory being that
if one goes gooey then the liquid black would stand out against the now
light grey of dusted bands and less likely to stick to adjascent bands.
I'm trying steeping the gooey contaminated bands in washing-up liquid.

This happened all the time to Philips drive bands in tape recorders of
the sixties and seventies. I'd have thought they had changed the
formulation of the rubber by now...

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
N Cook

"N Cook" wrote in message
Went to my collection of assorted bands today and I assume because of
summer
heat one had disintegrated into a gooey mess and another one on the way
out.
Anyone any ideas on storing bands eg in a freezer ?, under water ?.
and how to remove the goo thats splurged across adjascent bands.

I'm thinking of dousing all the bands in talcum powder - theory being

that
if one goes gooey then the liquid black would stand out against the now
light grey of dusted bands and less likely to stick to adjascent bands.
I'm trying steeping the gooey contaminated bands in washing-up liquid.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

If you store "rubber" grommets in hard plastic multi-drawers it is
guaranteed to plasticise the hard drawer plastic into a mess.
These bands were stored in open air on long cardboard cones for easy sizing
..
Neat Washing up liquid doesn't work but cotton wool and methylated spirits a
couple of times after washing fingers does remove the goo.

N Cook

Anyone know how square, flat or round drive belts are manufactured?

Michael A. Terrell

N Cook wrote:

Anyone know how square, flat or round drive belts are manufactured?

The flat and square are molded as a long tube, then they are sliced
off to the required width.

The round are molded to the proper diameter either to the finished
size, or as a long bulk piece that is cut to size and glued.

Onieda used to sell a kit of bulk flat, square and round rubber along
with a cutting jig and a tube of industrial crazy glue to make custom
belts. The glue has to be VERY fresh or it didn't hold for very long.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
N Cook

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

Anyone know how square, flat or round drive belts are manufactured?

The flat and square are molded as a long tube, then they are sliced
off to the required width.

The round are molded to the proper diameter either to the finished
size, or as a long bulk piece that is cut to size and glued.

Onieda used to sell a kit of bulk flat, square and round rubber along
with a cutting jig and a tube of industrial crazy glue to make custom
belts. The glue has to be VERY fresh or it didn't hold for very long.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Appreciated.
Would the flat/square process be done hot and the slicing done hot or when
cooled down ?

N Cook

N Cook wrote:

Anyone know how square, flat or round drive belts are manufactured?

The flat and square are molded as a long tube, then they are sliced
off to the required width.

The round are molded to the proper diameter either to the finished
size, or as a long bulk piece that is cut to size and glued.

Onieda used to sell a kit of bulk flat, square and round rubber along
with a cutting jig and a tube of industrial crazy glue to make custom
belts. The glue has to be VERY fresh or it didn't hold for very long.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

come to think of it , the round section bands I've sometimes seen trace of a
seam line
presumably from the edges of a 2-part mould where they join imprecisely.

Michael A. Terrell

N Cook wrote:

[...]

I don't know. I posted what I was told by one of my suppliers years
ago that manufacured replacement belts.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
bz

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

N Cook wrote:

[...]

In the early 70s, I used such a kit to make replacement bands.

The cutting and gluing was done 'cold'.

Surfaces to be glued must be clean very and oil free.

Freshly cut with a clean blade worked rather well, if I remember
correctly.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Michael A. Terrell

bz wrote:

In the early 70s, I used such a kit to make replacement bands.

The cutting and gluing was done 'cold'.

Surfaces to be glued must be clean very and oil free.

Freshly cut with a clean blade worked rather well, if I remember
correctly.

The glue had to be fresh, too. The shop had the kit, but I never
used it because I always had the right belts, or I would order one from
PRB. We stocked about 200 different OEM or PRB belts and there was
always a list of belts we were low on so the minimum order was no
problem. Some of the other techs used it with a few problems.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Asimov

"Wayne Tiffany" bravely wrote to "All" (11 Aug 05 07:35:39)
--- on the heady topic of " 'melted' gooey rubber drive bands"

It is the plasticizer used in the silicon rubber or plastic that
catalyzes a reaction between the two surfaces. I recall leaving a
vinyl guitar chord on the plastic case of some gear for about 1-1/2
month and when I got back to it the plastic surface had dissolved in a
tiny puddle of the chord vinyl. Where it had touched it left a small
pit on the surface of the gear. Also, the vapours from some types of
caulking materials, such as polyurethane, also cause deterioration of
plastics, rubber, and vinyl in immediate the vicinity to where they
were applied. They don't warn, on the tubes, about this damaging
aspect of the solvent to other bystanding organic materials!

A*s*i*m*o*v

WT Reply-To: "Wayne Tiffany"
WT Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:339496

WT My first thought was that it was not the heat that got them, but
WT incompatible plastics. I have seen this happen before - a plastic
WT worm sitting in a plastic tackle box rather than in its bag, finding
WT the plastic foot of a Woody doll dissolved from touching another
WT plastic doll in the toy box, etc. Not all combinations do it, but
WT I've seen it several times.
WT WT

WT "N Cook" wrote in message
WT ...
Went to my collection of assorted bands today and I assume because of
summer
heat one had disintegrated into a gooey mess and another one on the way
out.
Anyone any ideas on storing bands eg in a freezer ?, under water ?.
and how to remove the goo thats splurged across adjascent bands.

I'm thinking of dousing all the bands in talcum powder - theory being that
if one goes gooey then the liquid black would stand out against the now
light grey of dusted bands and less likely to stick to adjascent bands.
I'm trying steeping the gooey contaminated bands in washing-up liquid.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

.... [] - Please write your complaint legibly in that box.