Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vents in interior walls

Within the last year we moved house into a newish build (circa 96).

In the lounge there is a vent grill near the skirting, which
corresponds with a matching grill on the outside wall. In the summer we
didn't notice it, but now it's getting colder we can feel a massive
cold draught being generated by it.

Why do such vents exist? It is to prevent damp problems?

Can we cover it over in the winter? Surely it will send our heating
bill through the roof if we don't!

Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Within the last year we moved house into a newish build (circa 96).

In the lounge there is a vent grill near the skirting, which
corresponds with a matching grill on the outside wall. In the summer we
didn't notice it, but now it's getting colder we can feel a massive
cold draught being generated by it.

Why do such vents exist? It is to prevent damp problems?

Can we cover it over in the winter? Surely it will send our heating
bill through the roof if we don't!

I had one cut into the floor when I recently had a gas fire installed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Within the last year we moved house into a newish build (circa 96).

In the lounge there is a vent grill near the skirting, which
corresponds with a matching grill on the outside wall. In the summer we
didn't notice it, but now it's getting colder we can feel a massive
cold draught being generated by it.

Why do such vents exist? It is to prevent damp problems?

Can we cover it over in the winter? Surely it will send our heating
bill through the roof if we don't!

Many thanks

If there is a gas appliance in the room it might be for ventilation for
that, in which case it could be dangerous to block it up. If there is no gas
appliance in the room it should be safe to block it up. Air bricks which
ventilate the space below wooden floors should not be blocked up otherwise
the joists may become damp and then rot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If there is a gas appliance in the room it might be for ventilation for
that, in which case it could be dangerous to block it up. If there is no gas
appliance in the room it should be safe to block it up

Hmm. No gas appliance but we have a "real" fireplace with an open
chimney. (although have to use smokeless fuel).

Actually that's a point. Do chimneys let out huge amounts of heat too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 3:07 pm, wrote:
If there is a gas appliance in the room it might be for ventilation for
that, in which case it could be dangerous to block it up. If there is no gas
appliance in the room it should be safe to block it up

Hmm. No gas appliance but we have a "real" fireplace with an open
chimney. (although have to use smokeless fuel).

That's what it's there for, then.

Actually that's a point. Do chimneys let out huge amounts of heat too?

You are joking, aren't you?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Oct 30, 3:07 pm, wrote:
If there is a gas appliance in the room it might be for ventilation for
that, in which case it could be dangerous to block it up. If there is
no gas
appliance in the room it should be safe to block it up

Hmm. No gas appliance but we have a "real" fireplace with an open
chimney. (although have to use smokeless fuel).

That's what it's there for, then.

Actually that's a point. Do chimneys let out huge amounts of heat too?

You are joking, aren't you?

MBQ

Yer'Know .... I'd started to answer that posting , using almost the same
words, then; instead of hitting 'SEND' , I hit 'CANCEL' - thinking ;"they
must be joking!"
I suppose such people have the vote?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are joking, aren't you?

MBQ

Yer'Know .... I'd started to answer that posting , using almost the same
words, then; instead of hitting 'SEND' , I hit 'CANCEL' - thinking ;"they
must be joking!"
I suppose such people have the vote?

Erm, nope. I wasn't joking! (Although I admit it does sound a
particularly dense question!)

I lived in a house with a fake fireplace for 20 years, and for some
reason it just never occured to me that the chimney in our new house
was open to the elements.

OK, so I will open myself up to further abuse:
Why do we need a vent in the wall, as well as a chimney?
How do people stop precious heat escaping up the chimney in the winter?
(Presuming we never / rarely have a fire in there)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct 2006 08:29:43 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "Martin
Bonner" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

wrote:

OK, so I will open myself up to further abuse:
Why do we need a vent in the wall, as well as a chimney?

The chimney is to let smoke/fumes out. The vent is to let fresh air in
(so that smoke/fumes don't come into the room and poison you).

Strictly speaking, it's not. The fire would use all the oxygen in the
room and would then smoulder until such time as the emergency services
discovered the bodies of the occupants and the incoming oxygenated air
would restore the fire. There would have to be a blockage, a
downdraught, or the flue not drawing properly for the gases to come
back into the room. The air inlet is to allow enough replacement air
so that the occupants can breathe as well.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote

The chimney is to let smoke/fumes out. The vent is to let fresh air in
(so that smoke/fumes don't come into the room and poison you).

Strictly speaking, it's not. The fire would use all the oxygen in the
room and would then smoulder until such time as the emergency services
discovered the bodies of the occupants and the incoming oxygenated air
would restore the fire. There would have to be a blockage, a
downdraught, or the flue not drawing properly for the gases to come
back into the room. The air inlet is to allow enough replacement air
so that the occupants can breathe as well.

Aren't you over simplifying just a bit? Does a smoke bomb test
always work, or is there sometimes spillage? Besides the
proportion of room air which enables combustion, there is a much
greater quantity of air which has to be available to be warmed
and rise up the chimney carrying the products of combustion.

Houses used to be much more draughty, and the air simply found
its way in. Now everything is sealed, proper provision has to be
made.

I recall my parents had a pair of telescopic plastic vents which
popped up out of the floor near the fire, and drastically reduced
the freezing draught under the door.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Attic vents Sidney Schwartz Home Repair 36 April 13th 06 09:20 PM
Roof Ventilation & Soffit Vents Graham Jones UK diy 0 September 25th 05 07:52 PM
Roof vents flash UK diy 11 June 24th 05 08:58 PM
Adding A/C Vents this way barry martin Home Repair 0 June 5th 04 04:36 PM
Damp patch around air vents in bedroom Nathan Critchlow-Watton UK diy 6 January 12th 04 07:09 PM